House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

Holiday To India Anyone Indulged?

Not that I am considering particularly looking at the pictures on the site below.

Seems the Ganges has a myriad of uses from a daily wash and scrub to a handy rubbish disposal to DIY funerals...

!!!Warning!!!

some of the pictures on this site are graphic.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

Here is one of the tamer ones. The caption is The famous ancient city of Varanasi. The Ganges is for both morning baths and cremations.

Wonder what the pile is ash is and what the dog rooting about is all about

india-photos-10.jpg?resize=560%2C839

Who needs to go to India for a holiday, when we have Southall!

Who needs to go to India for a holiday, when we have Southall!

I know Southall very well, grew up near the place often visited had a favourite kebab shop and all that.

They follow normal and accepted funeral practice. Been a while since I been round but I have not seen the dead floating down the Grand Union....

I know Southall very well, grew up near the place often visited had a favourite kebab shop and all that.

They follow normal and accepted funeral practice. Been a while since I been round but I have not seen the dead floating down the Grand Union....

Just in the streets.

http://www.london24.com/news/rat_carcass_found_on_kitchen_floor_by_ealing_restaurant_inspectors_1_3730300

I have been in Varanasi a few times in my backpacker days

A mad place for sure..dead people everywhere ,floating,burning,an apocalyptic setting

On my first visit in the late 80,s there was a religious riot and hundreds got killed

This is no lie but I watched a dog go into the river and pull out a dead baby and drag

It up the banks to go have a chew on it .strange thing was the baby was already missing a hand before the

Dog got it and this stuck in my head for years ....why was the baby,s hand already missing

On asking I was told new born kids were not burned but just put in the river weighted down

But they soon floated up and that's were the dogs came into the story

Just a few feet away people were brushing there teeth in the water !!!!!

We don't know how lucky we are in the uk ...

Wow, that page is one of the worst things I've ever seen on the internet. Not the absolute worst but shocking. Wow. I've been to Bangalore and around and didn't see anything like that. You can't avoid getting the runs there.

That brings back terrible memories, bodies being cremated everywhere, bodies being flung in the river. There is some rule where if the woman should die pregnant or death is by leprosy or it is a baby the body is not cremated but flung in the river. You literally see bodies being thrown in the river next to some one washing their mouth out in the same water.

You literally couldn't pay me to return, thinking about it again makes me shudder. Awful

Riddle me this. Why do they always still look like they're enjoying themselves more than the average office worker bee in this country?

Riddle me this. Why do they always still look like they're enjoying themselves more than the average office worker bee in this country?

1) They're on holiday

2) Ignorance / fatalism is bliss

I was going to holiday in Mumbai, but I think I'll save the air fare, and just shіt in my bath.

Frankly, if you've built a flying bath, powered by your own faeces, humanity's energy problems may be solved.

Think about the water you drink from the tap.

Do you not think there are dead sheep on the river banks that feed the reservoir? Or cows shitting on the banks of the river. When you swim in the sea there is whale sh*t? Or sperm from salmon. Water is literally amazing stuff.

Of course, everything is covered in germs, but it's about density. Drinking water near a bloated corpse, or your fellow man taking a dump, is upping your odds of catching something nasty over water from a reservoir which is further treated before it reaches your tap.

Frankly, the crowded nature of India together with the unsanitary conditions has always struck me as like attending a music festival - and I wouldn't bother with that either.

Wow, that page is one of the worst things I've ever seen on the internet. Not the absolute worst but shocking. Wow. I've been to Bangalore and around and didn't see anything like that. You can't avoid getting the runs there.

The Internet and digital cameras - Desensitising everyone since circa 2004/5

I only have a tourist's experience of anything even remotely like this, and then it's been North African countries rather than India.

I've generally found visiting Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt to be relatively unpleasant and trying experiences, and I've probably only been to the 'good parts' of those countries.

I'm aware I'm just being the spoiled Westerner (even talking about tourism, quite apart from anything else), but at present I would probably rule out visiting non-First-World countries, at least for pleasure and recreation.

The universe is almost entirely hostile to life, and, even on this minuscule oasis, it seems remarkable that there's an even tinier bit of it that I'd want to spend any solid lengths of time--where the bathrooms are clean, and people shower most days if not all, where I might feel put out if the food isn't cooked just how I like it, and on and on... I really am spoiled... and lucky.

For that vast majority of the other creatures on this planet, it seems likely that life seems objectively more savage and unpleasant than mine.

I caught myself having an under-my-breath whinge a few weeks ago at a very First World Problem. I was in a help-yourself restaurant at the cold counter, and they'd left the stalks in the grapes. What's the world coming to?

Sorry, I seem to have drifted off the point as usual. :huh:

They should force the Indian Parliament to move next to the Ganges. Forced some changes in London, only 150 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink

"The resulting smell was so overwhelming that it affected the work of the House of Commons (countermeasures included draping curtains soaked in chloride of lime, while members considered relocating upstream to Hampton Court) and the law courts (plans were made to evacuate to Oxford and St Albans)."

But no, I'm not sold on India as a holiday destination. I wish them well with their space programme though.

I only have a tourist's experience of anything even remotely like this, and then it's been North African countries rather than India.

I've generally found visiting Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt to be relatively unpleasant and trying experiences, and I've probably only been to the 'good parts' of those countries.

Yes, Tunisia. Been there a couple of times. Got dysentry the first time which kinda puts a dampener on a month long cycling holiday. A four star hotel is the equivalent of a 2 star over here. Great to see some Star Wars locations though. Hotel Sidi Driss in Matmata (also one of the few times I enjoyed a decent veggie meal), which combined with a trip to Musee Bardo, almost made the rest of the trip worth it.

We are enormously lucky in this country compared to many other places in the world. But there's no reason why we, and they, couldn't do better still if it wasn't for the various rentiers creaming the wealth.

Was there in 2001. Got told off for taking pics of the Taj Mahal from the river - there was a burning on the go and apparently if you take a PIC you take some part of their soul away or something. ****** knows. We just said we were taking a PIC if something else. The dead person didn't seem to mind :)

PS - great place - mental - mental again - more mental again - off the scale - ******ing loony - but great food and worth a visit.

I'm aware I'm just being the spoiled Westerner (even talking about tourism, quite apart from anything else), but at present I would probably rule out visiting non-First-World countries, at least for pleasure and recreation.

The universe is almost entirely hostile to life, and, even on this minuscule oasis, it seems remarkable that there's an even tinier bit of it that I'd want to spend any solid lengths of time--where the bathrooms are clean, and people shower most days if not all, where I might feel put out if the food isn't cooked just how I like it, and on and on... I really am spoiled... and lucky.

For that vast majority of the other creatures on this planet, it seems likely that life seems objectively more savage and unpleasant than mine.

I caught myself having an under-my-breath whinge a few weeks ago at a very First World Problem. I was in a help-yourself restaurant at the cold counter, and they'd left the stalks in the grapes. What's the world coming to?

I'm surprised that you found Egypt disagreeable. Not my experience. Nor Morocco really, but then I'm not female.

And the poster who found the Varanasi imagery shocking, whatever you do don't follow any links to ISIS atrocities in Syria/Iraq. I wish I hadn't.

I'm surprised that you found Egypt disagreeable. Not my experience. Nor Morocco really, but then I'm not female.

And the poster who found the Varanasi imagery shocking, whatever you do don't follow any links to ISIS atrocities in Syria/Iraq. I wish I hadn't.

Mate went morocco, said beggars followed him everywhere.

I would think Bangladesh would be worse, im sure most of india is quite nice. Three times the population of England into a similar size, much of which is flooded for part of the year.

I found a face that I got after a few weeks in India. It must have more or less said "don't ******ing bother".

First few weeks couldn't get beggars off me - after that - they looked scared of me.

I found a face that I got after a few weeks in India. It must have more or less said "don't ******ing bother".

First few weeks couldn't get beggars off me - after that - they looked scared of me.

Yes, I guess we in the west find the treatment of beggars in the developing world by the local middle class as disturbing. But if you've literally thousands of them wanting something everywhere you go, maybe it gets a bit tiresome.

Yes, I guess we in the west find the treatment of beggars in the developing world by the local middle class as disturbing. But if you've literally thousands of them wanting something everywhere you go, maybe it gets a bit tiresome.

It does get a bit much. I was robbed on s train. To be fair - very cunning planning - respect :)

I was raging for a few minutes - then I calmed down and realised it wasn't a big deal.

The much heralded collapse of western civilisation is finally upon us. We shall have to source our own grape scissors, to put in storage with the beans and shot gun shells.