House Price Crash Forum

Mcdonalds Under Threat Of Total Closure In Russia...retaliation For Sanctions

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

This is just inflation (input costs, salaries, etc) showing through. If its the food you're after, there are plenty of places offering so called "gourmet burgers" in recent years.

There's probably a few reasons for it including the increase in population with more people catered for more frequently plus land costs and taxes pushing prices up.

No it isn't the lack of gourmet it's the lack of cheap/affordable and good standard cafe/restaurant style outlets with table service for regular style/conventional meals - something that there used to be plenty of including on the High Street and now replaced by fast food, takeaway places and coffee shops. Some of the larger supermarkets try to imitate it in their massive sheds and with varying degrees of success and then there's the pubs (some of which are very good) but it's not quite the same.

Edited by billybong

HOLA447
Guest Jemmy Button

The food police strike again :rolleyes:.

McDonalds supply food that millions of people enjoy, it may not be as good for them as some other foods, but they enjoy it.

But, Bruce, did you get the toy Star Wars figure with your French Fries! :)

HOLA448
Guest Jemmy Button

Good for them.

Do us all a favour (and the planet).

Who over the age of 12 patronises a McDonald's?

Yup! I am so glad this Yankee company is being excluded from Moscow, Personally, I haven't set foot in McCrap in about 20 years.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yup! I am so glad this Yankee company is being excluded from Moscow, Personally, I haven't set foot in McCrap in about 20 years.

In recent years in the US there has been big growth in about a dozen or hamburger chains whose founders, pretty much unwowed by the likes of MacDs, have decided to set up burger restaurants making hamburgers like they used to - proper toasted buns, quality crispy veg, quality cheese, burgers made to order, etc, etc.

HOLA4411

In recent years in the US there has been big growth in about a dozen or hamburger chains whose founders, pretty much unwowed by the likes of MacDs, have decided to set up burger restaurants making hamburgers like they used to - proper toasted buns, quality crispy veg, quality cheese, burgers made to order, etc, etc.

If they survive and grow they'll eventually end up like McDonalds.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Food standards are pretty good in Russia. Much of the produce is organic and locally sourced. Also certain products like meat goes through a highly centralised processing system (highly lucrative for the oligarchs involved too). Also, many traditional brands are popular not because of some sense of Soviet nostalgia but because Russian consumers are often wary of the artificial rubbish popular in the West. Much of the Russian food chain has not had the time or 'investment' necessary to adulterate it with industrially-produced junk.

I read a BBC article earlier this week talking about Cuba which said people returning to the island brought back essentials with them 'even from Moscow', as if the Russian capital is characterised by empty supermarkets and food shortages. The West really needs to get over its stereotypes about Russia. In most cases they more than a decade out of date.

All true, dat.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Millions of their customers might disagree with you. My family all love Big Macs, I'm the exception as I prefer Burger King.

Be careful Bruce you are talking like the occasional meal of fast food isn't going to change your life or health and actually can be quite tasty and cheap.....

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Whiskey next ...

Independent experts to test Jack Daniel’s whiskey in Russia

Official representatives of the US liqueur Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey brand will reportedly ask independent experts to test their production. Russia’s consumer rights protection agency, Rospotrebnadzor in the Sverdlovsk Region, found a chemical agent in a consignment of whiskey capable of causing allergies and functional changes in the nervous system, RIA Novosti said. The final results of laboratory tests have revealed the presence of benzyl ether of benzoic acid, which is “widely used as an acaricidal [anti-mite] agent,” the watchdog said on Thursday.

http://rt.com/business/

Edited by Errol

HOLA4420

Whiskey next ...

Independent experts to test Jack Daniel’s whiskey in Russia

Official representatives of the US liqueur Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey brand will reportedly ask independent experts to test their production. Russia’s consumer rights protection agency, Rospotrebnadzor in the Sverdlovsk Region, found a chemical agent in a consignment of whiskey capable of causing allergies and functional changes in the nervous system, RIA Novosti said. The final results of laboratory tests have revealed the presence of benzyl ether of benzoic acid, which is “widely used as an acaricidal [anti-mite] agent,” the watchdog said on Thursday.

http://rt.com/business/

And even after Fatboy salmond said how nice Putin was...or maybe theyre just eliminating the Yank competition.