House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

New Gcse Exams See Grade Deflation But Boys Finally Get A Chance To Catch Up.

Speaking from experience of doing both CSEs and O levels ( JMB, Oxford examination board)...have to say that the O levels at a sink secondary modern at age 15 were a breeze for me but the CSEs were a disaster. So examination based courses are better for boys.

To get 45% at O level wasn't difficult and I passed all four with ease. To get 80% at CSE (for a grade one O level conversion) competing with girls that probably drafted and redrafted their course work five times and got parental support was another matter. Managed the grade ones in three CSEs...but these were examination based...no bloody chance with the course work.

Finally the boys have a chance to shine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/11047552/GCSE-Results-Day-2014-live.html

Someone been reading articles such as this?

On the news today: we may be about to see a shift in emphasis from coursework to exams, in the UK national qualifications for 16 year olds. First, a few weeks ago, it was announced that coursework will be reduced in some subjects because of concerns about cheating. Second, and new today, there’s pressure for the government to allow an alternative “international” qualification, already popular in some private schools, in the state sector.

Here’s a prediction: a move from coursework assessment to exams will improve boys results relative to girls.

That calls for some context. The most widely reported context is that, for some years, published statistics have shown girls significantly outperforming boys at school.

The background to that, and what made it inevitable, is the Agenda of promoting womens issues, that has been dominant in this country’s culture since the middle of the last century. It’s one of those things that’s taken as an article of faith by our Powers That Be, and can’t be questioned. The move from exams to coursework was in part tied in with that agenda: at the time, boys were outperforming girls, and some commentators rightly predicted that the changes (of which coursework was an important part) would help close that gap.

Damn, now I've gone and followed your link.

Next time some unfortunate chap gets done for smiling at a 15-year-old, they should add the likes of the Torygraph as co-defendents. Always publishing piccies like that of happy girls!

My experience of being graded via coursework in education was that it was complete BS from start to end. Cheating - ie, it not being entirely your own work - absolutely endemic.

My experience of being graded via coursework in education was that it was complete BS from start to end. Cheating - ie, it not being entirely your own work - absolutely endemic.

+ 100

I know personally of cases where there was vast input from a parent, friend or older sibling. The system was particularly unfair to kids from poorer/less educated backgrounds, who had nobody to help.

Not just at school level, though. At university finals level friend of a daughter lifted whole chunks of her own father's dissertation on the same topic.

+ 100

I know personally of cases where there was vast input from a parent, friend or older sibling. The system was particularly unfair to kids from poorer/less educated backgrounds, who had nobody to help.

Not just at school level, though. At university finals level friend of a daughter lifted whole chunks of her own father's dissertation on the same topic.

You can buy good quality coursework/essays off the internet, for nay level from GCSE to PhD. Suggests to me that aside from dissertations, an exams-only approach is needed.