House Price Crash Forum
Rebeccajohnston

Where Does London End?

Part of the borough of Kingston is in the sw15 postcode?

We are in Kingston KT2 but SW15 is only just down the road and it comes under Roehampton, which is part of Wandsworth borough.

We are in Kingston KT2 but SW15 is only just down the road and it comes under Roehampton, which is part of Wandsworth borough.

I think that the area being referred to by Welshasylumseeker is Kingston Vale which is the bit right at the top of the hill (past the uni site and before it becomes the A3). That is SW15 and still in the Kingston borough, but shortly after you turn onto the A3 into London it becomes Wandsworth.

Hi All,

As titled, what is London and where does it end?

I used to think London as inside the M25, and now I think inside Zone 6, but there are plenty of places in Zone 6 which are outside of London (not London borough).

I think Halifax etc use London borough, but psychologically, where does London end?

For instance, would you consider St Albans, Watford or Bromley London?

Becs

I would say that if you have the London Mayor then it is London. In many parts of London this is very controversial. I know someone who gets furious if people say that she doesn't live in Kent, even though every time she drives south for a few miles she sees signs saying "welcome to Kent" (which should be a clue she isn't living in Kent).

May depend on which map you use?

They seem to have moved Kingston to become part of SE London/Kent and it is in the 5m+ category. Probably just as well since the original will be well and truly sunk!

I would say that if you have the London Mayor then it is London. In many parts of London this is very controversial. I know someone who gets furious if people say that she doesn't live in Kent, even though every time she drives south for a few miles she sees signs saying "welcome to Kent" (which should be a clue she isn't living in Kent).

It is the snobbery and inverted snobbery which makes this argument so interesting. I live under a mile inside the official border of Greater London with Surrey, and I know a lot of people who are adamant that they live in 'London' and even more people who insist the area is Surrey and not London.

It tends to be the people who have lived here ages that like to hear it referred to as Surrey and the newer residents who see it as London. It stands to reason, I suppose, as a lot of the new arrivals only live here because they are priced out of areas that are definitely London under any of the definitions discussed here.

I don't get this thread. There are 32 London boroughs + City of London. If you pay your council tax to any of those local authorities then you live in London. Kingston used to be Surrey but not since 1965. There's no snobbery if you call Kingston is in Surrey, simply misinformed ;)

Anyway that's more of a philosophical question rather than geographical.

I suppose a question to ask would be is a property in a London postcode worth more in nominal terms compared to one in a London Borough but without a London postcode? I suspect the answer to that is yes.

I suppose a question to ask would be is a property in a London postcode worth more in nominal terms compared to one in a London Borough but without a London postcode? I suspect the answer to that is yes.

There are too many variables, aren't there?

I live in KT6 (Surbiton), and could find parts of that postcode where people have paid £700k for a tiny house which would be more than most of the equivalent houses in much more expensive areas with SW postcodes. Equally, I could find houses that have sold there for £200k and would be many times that price in the SW area.

I also genuinely don't think that if they decided to extend the London postcode out to the edges of the London Boroughs, that a property in Surbiton, SW25 (or whatever), would be worth more than the same property in Surbiton, KT6 if everything else remains equal.

It is the snobbery and inverted snobbery which makes this argument so interesting.

Don't you mean sad and depressing? Personally I think if you can vote for the London Assembly then you are in London. Of course if would help if there were signs saying welcome to London, like there are when you drive to Kent/Surrey etc.

There are too many variables, aren't there?

I live in KT6 (Surbiton), and could find parts of that postcode where people have paid £700k for a tiny house which would be more than most of the equivalent houses in much more expensive areas with SW postcodes. Equally, I could find houses that have sold there for £200k and would be many times that price in the SW area.

I also genuinely don't think that if they decided to extend the London postcode out to the edges of the London Boroughs, that a property in Surbiton, SW25 (or whatever), would be worth more than the same property in Surbiton, KT6 if everything else remains equal.

You can't go by postcode, if you go by postcode then places like Herne Bay, Dover etc in Kent are part of Canterbury and Canterbury is bigger than London (and if you believe that you are crazy).

Don't you mean sad and depressing? Personally I think if you can vote for the London Assembly then you are in London. Of course if would help if there were signs saying welcome to London, like there are when you drive to Kent/Surrey etc.

I suppose that the argument is sad and depressing as well as being pointless, but I am always intrigued by how much people are bothered by it - loads of people who live in the Kingston borough who would 'never live in London' and hang on to it being in Surrey, and loads insisting it is the opposite.

I just just don't care about that at all. I think most people (like me) choose where to live because they like the locale. I like where I live but there are a lot of places in the Kingston borough I would never willingly live, just as there are good and bad places in central London.

Edited by worried1

You can't go by postcode, if you go by postcode then places like Herne Bay, Dover etc in Kent are part of Canterbury and Canterbury is bigger than London (and if you believe that you are crazy).

That is what I was trying to say, but probably not that clearly! London postcodes have no relevance at all any more. The only technically correct way to define London is by whether the borough is one of the 32 or the City itself.

That is what I was trying to say, but probably not that clearly! London postcodes have no relevance at all any more. The only technically correct way to define London is by whether the borough is one of the 32 or the City itself.

I don't think even being in a London borough is definitive. There are a few places in Essex ( Woodford green etc) that are in London borough of redbridge but have an Essex address.

I don't think even being in a London borough is definitive. There are a few places in Essex ( Woodford green etc) that are in London borough of redbridge but have an Essex address.

Who cares what the postal address is.

Chingford is London E4 - its the same distance from central London as Woodford Green Essex IG8? Purely a mechanism for the post office to sort letters - it has no more relevance than that. Ilford is in Essex for postal address purposes - but it feels a lot more London than Chingford.

I come back to the relevant point - is Boris your Mayor, do your council taxes pay for the London fire brigade and met police, do you get free 24 hour travel across London at 60. If you do you live in London for all the things that matter - if you don't you aren't in London!

Who cares what the postal address is.

Chingford is London E4 - its the same distance from central London as Woodford Green Essex IG8? Purely a mechanism for the post office to sort letters - it has no more relevance than that. Ilford is in Essex for postal address purposes - but it feels a lot more London than Chingford.

I come back to the relevant point - is Boris your Mayor, do your council taxes pay for the London fire brigade and met police, do you get free 24 hour travel across London at 60. If you do you live in London for all the things that matter - if you don't you aren't in London!

I think that the postal addresses are just an overhang from before the outer London boroughs were expanded. If it is like in the SW suburbs, the official Post Office definition of Woodford Green would be Woodford Green, IG8 rather than Woodford Green, Essex, IG8.

Most people around here still put Kingston, Surrey, KT2 as their address, but in reality the Surrey part was dropped years ago officially. Again, a lot of it comes back to snobbery by those who prefer to be in Surrey/Essex rather than London and vice versa, but has no real relevance.

Kingston is in the postal county of Surrey. It's not snobbery, it was part of the address, and people still like to include it perhaps because they don't trust the postcode.

It is however in the London Borough of Kingston.

Galsworth Road,

Kingston upon Thames,

London

KT2

is just wrong as an address

Galsworth Road,

Kingston upon Thames

Surrey

KT2

is correct, albeit that Surrey is superfluous

All of KT is in the former postal county of Surrey, just as UB is in Middlesex, BR is in Kent, CR is in Surrey, SM is in Surrey, IG is in Essex, TW is split between Middlesex and Surrey, EN is in Middlesex, Hertfordshire and Essex, and so on.

I don't think Kingston is truly London, even if administratively it is. Other places, such as Croydon, aren't really any more 'London' that say Watford is.

I suppose that the argument is sad and depressing as well as being pointless, but I am always intrigued by how much people are bothered by it - loads of people who live in the Kingston borough who would 'never live in London' and hang on to it being in Surrey, and loads insisting it is the opposite.

I just just don't care about that at all. I think most people (like me) choose where to live because they like the locale. I like where I live but there are a lot of places in the Kingston borough I would never willingly live, just as there are good and bad places in central London.

My view exactly although I partly live where I live because I can't afford better.