House Price Crash Forum
Rebeccajohnston

Where Does London End?

Hi All,

As titled, what is London and where does it end?

I used to think London as inside the M25, and now I think inside Zone 6, but there are plenty of places in Zone 6 which are outside of London (not London borough).

I think Halifax etc use London borough, but psychologically, where does London end?

For instance, would you consider St Albans, Watford or Bromley London?

Becs

I would where there is access to the tube system. It seems to be how most investors view London.

Although, thinking about it, there are quite a few places which are definitely in London but are quite far from the tube!

Edited by renting til I die

Likewise the tube goes far far out of London in places (Essex end of the central line, met line )

For me it's the London boroughs, although as its not a perfect circle there are parts which fall into a grey zone (ewell in Surrey is 15 miles from charing cross- Malden rushett just over into RBK is 5 more on top)

Different people have different definitions, some of them totally bizarre:

1. Inside the M25

2. Inside zones 1-6

3. Part of the 33 London boroughs

4. Zones 1-2 only

5. Zone 1 only

6. Where the tall buildings are

7. The roads directly surrounding Trafalgar Square

Of course, the only truly correct answer is number 3, as it is those boroughs that make up the administrative area of Greater London. So, in answer to your first post, Bromley is part of London, St Albans and Watford are not.

I can definitely see the reason behind (some) of the other definitions. Bromley has more in common with an SE provincial town that it does central London in terms of social make-up, house prices & house type.

Edited by worried1

It ends at the greenbelt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/9708387/Interactive-map-Englands-green-belt.html

Assuming the politics doesn't change, anything inside the greenbelt will just get more densely crowded until London is a bunch of tower blocks overlooking farmland.

The greenbelt surrounding Bristol is shameful, forcing to commute thousands of miles each year causing untold pollution. I guess you could say the same for London.

If we're talking transport hubs, there is LONDON oxford airport, LONDON southend, LONDON manston...same want marshalls airport in Cambridge to be called LONDON Cambridge...so a good 40-50 miles outside the M25.

If we're talking transport hubs, there is LONDON oxford airport, LONDON southend, LONDON manston...same want marshalls airport in Cambridge to be called LONDON Cambridge...so a good 40-50 miles outside the M25.

I bet it is the marshalls themselves that want that as it means they can earn more money as a result.

I think the definition of London varies according to who you are speaking to. As I live right on the edge of the London boroughs and work in central London, if someone at work asks me where I come from, I'd feel a bit stupid saying 'London', even though it is nominally true. If I was asked when abroad, I'd always say 'London', because they would not have heard of the actual place I come from anyway, or know or care about the difference.

Edited by worried1

This is what the edge of London will look like in a few years.

post-318-0-19724400-1408629622_thumb.jpg

At least your kids will have have something pretty to look at during their long commute.

I live in London and I personally think its ends at the borders of Zone 2 and 3.

Sorry, that is the other common definition that I forgot:

8. Where I live is in London, everywhere further out is not.

Edited by worried1

Not sure where this debate gets us.

London is the 32 boroughs and the City - you are in London legally if Boris is your Mayor and you get a freedom pass at 60.

Romford and Kingston are in London - Watford and St Albans are not.

To me a city ends where the urban conurbation ends and you finlly get a bit of open countryside and genuine separation. If you live in Birmingham, for example, then Brum is the southerly central bit. The black country believe separation...Walsall, Wolverhampton, but they are kidding themselves.

Take Nottingham.......only really the centre bit counts comprising 300,000. Actually Greater Nottingham is about two thirds of a million.

Beeston, West Bridgford, Ilkeston, Carlton, Netherthorpe etc. ...all stray outside the city boundaries. Townies are in denial if they think they are genuinely separate.

Edited by crashmonitor

And there are some villages far out from London that have a London post code, Sewell, Essex for instance

Yes but Chingford, Essex is the only anomaly I can think of re London postcodes - Kingston is Surrey, there are loads of examples of London Boroughs being very far from Lndon itself - not so re London postcodes.

Surely London postcode is another definition.

Something that not all London Boroughs can claim to have.

I think that's one of the worse definitions you can have. By that definition Wembley Stadium, Richmond Park, Kew Gardens and Heathrow wouldn't be considered in London..

I think that's one of the worse definitions you can have. By that definition Wembley Stadium, Richmond Park, Kew Gardens and Heathrow wouldn't be considered in London..

Its the best way of defining which areas definitely ARE in London.

Agree some will slip through the net (e.g. Wembley), but in terms of are 99% of London postcodes actually in London, it works fine.

Another definition not so far mentioned in this thread - 020 telephone code. But that falls down with places like Uxbridge, which is in London. Or at least, it is in the London Borough of Hillingdon. :)

Its the best way of defining which areas definitely ARE in London.

Prior to 1965, I think a London postcode was definitive.

But following the London Government Act 1963, postcodes were not changed for the 'new' London areas.