House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Rail Fares To Increase By Two Inflations And A Pay Rise

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/rail-fares-to-increase-by-two-inflations-and-a-pay-rise-2014081989693

"

Rail fares to increase by two inflations and a pay rise"

"RAIL fares will increase by inflation times two, plus the pathetic little pay rise you are probably not going to get anyway"

:lol::lol::lol::blink:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Should never have been privatised.

Privatising anything that can be monopolised is daft basically, because if it can be it will.

Don't get me wrong, with proper competition privatisation is brilliant. Without it it's just statism with extra layers of fat cat greed thrown in and absolutely no chance of voting the party running it all out though.

Edited by byron78

Constantly and perpetually rising rail fares can only be a good thing, surely? Just as in the case of house prices. People must be overjoyed with the increases they are seeing to the cost of their tickets.

Constantly and perpetually rising rail fares can only be a good thing, surely? Just as in the case of house prices. People must be overjoyed with the increases they are seeing to the cost of their tickets.

It is for the people who own the railways.

It is for the people who own the railways.

The German state owns quite a few of our "private" operators now doesn't it?

Just incredible.

Edited by byron78

At my level the job rates are the same locally as they are in London. So that’s £4856 a year if you can afford a yearly, £466 zones 1-6 for a month.

Travelling into London by train was only viable for me when I was a contractor on £20+ hour around 2005. Now even a 20 min trip is £140 a month.

Working locally for the win! Never have to see 5:45am, or deal with a smug inane ticket collector ever again.

How can London House prices be sustained if commuter rail fares are affordable? Having said that, I live in Bristol and the Prices here for slums are bat sh1t crazy. Everybody I know with a mortgage is skint (I'm not but I don't have a mortgage), just how is this bubble staying inflated?

A lasting memory of mine was when myself and the wife were at a ticket office in Verona and I requested a return to Milan and the smartly dressed lady in the ticket office told me the price was €14. Used to high UK rail fares I assumed a communication breakdown occurred pointed to my wife and gestured that it would be the two of us travelling and coming back. I was bowled over when she that fare was correct and printed out the tickets.

So glad I no longer commute by train and if my future work takes me into the city I'll get another motorcycle.

Mwahahahaha - good luck train w@nk3rs!

Except for a short period earlier this year I have never commuted further than 10 miles as their is just no need to.

Like London house prices the faster and higher the go the better.

Choose life, choose to commute, choose to sit there in mind numbing boringness for hour and hours, choose to deny to your self how much time your wasting, choose to pay rail fares, choose to live in London, choose to buy that $hitty zone 4, damp 1 bedroom flat for £300k!

Choose Life!

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

Just looking at the Network Rail annual report

Mark Carne (phew... that was close) was employed as the new CE this year on £675,000 p.a.

David Higgins stepped down to move to HS2

Other director's remuneration

Patrick Butcher 2014 £922,000 up from £627,000 in 2013
Robin Gisby 2014 £880,000 up from £620,000 in 2013
Simon Kirby 2014 £890,000 up from £620,000

In 2014 all the above 3 got a lovely £300,000 "Other". A retention payment agreed in 2012.

It's a complicated bonus structure. In 2013 Butcher was awarded £395,000 ongoing bonus for 2012 to 2015 due to be paid in 2015. Gisby's was £371,000. Kirby's £371,000 seems to have lapsed, that must have been a bit annoying!

Edit link http://www.networkrail.co.uk/RemunerationReport.pdf

Edited by Democorruptcy

Just looking at the Network Rail annual report

Mark Carne (phew... that was close) was employed as the new CE this year on £675,000 p.a.

David Higgins stepped down to move to HS2

Other director's remuneration

Patrick Butcher 2014 £922,000 up from £627,000 in 2013
Robin Gisby 2014 £880,000 up from £620,000 in 2013
Simon Kirby 2014 £890,000 up from £620,000

In 2014 all the above 3 got a lovely £300,000 "Other". A retention payment agreed in 2012.

It's a complicated bonus structure. In 2013 Butcher was awarded £395,000 ongoing bonus for 2012 to 2015 due to be paid in 2015. Gisby's was £371,000. Kirby's £371,000 seems to have lapsed, that must have been a bit annoying!

Edit link http://www.networkrail.co.uk/RemunerationReport.pdf

A bonus for what? Running a monopoly?

Mwahahahaha - good luck train w@nk3rs!

Except for a short period earlier this year I have never commuted further than 10 miles as their is just no need to.

Like London house prices the faster and higher the go the better.

Choose life, choose to commute, choose to sit there in mind numbing boringness for hour and hours, choose to deny to your self how much time your wasting, choose to pay rail fares, choose to live in London, choose to buy that $hitty zone 4, damp 1 bedroom flat for £300k!

Choose Life!

I choose not to choose life.

choose to deny to your self how much time your wasting

Not actually wasted time, depending on what you choose to do. It could be spent reading fine literature, learning a new language etc.

Edited by Errol

A bonus for what? Running a monopoly?

The bonus parts are in the report link.

Though it's 20% for Income, expenditure and Capex while customer satisfaction is only 5% and passenger satisfaction only 5%.

So there you go.... more bonus for income instead of keeping the customers/passengers happy. Increasy... increasy....

It's not just train that are over priced though, buses are too.

For a lot of people it makes more sense to walk than to work.

Instead of catching a bus with a fare of £1/km, you can walk it and save some £6.5/hour with a brisk walk. Far more than you can earn in a lot of the private sector employment out there.

Some fares exceed £2/km.

You could look at bus journeys and measure them by time saved and the cost of the journey, rather than just the cost of the journey, making many more journeys more rational to carry out on foot, than by bus.

A real bug bear of mine at the minute.

If I find a treadmill in a charity shop I'll end up having a stall in the interchange, with the message, it 'On your way to work by bus, why work when it pays more to walk'.

It's not just train that are over priced though, buses are too.

For a lot of people it makes more sense to walk than to work.

Instead of catching a bus with a fare of £1/km, you can walk it and save some £6.5/hour with a brisk walk. Far more than you can earn in a lot of the private sector employment out there.

Some fares exceed £2/km.

You could look at bus journeys and measure them by time saved and the cost of the journey, rather than just the cost of the journey, making many more journeys more rational to carry out on foot, than by bus.

A real bug bear of mine at the minute.

If I find a treadmill in a charity shop I'll end up having a stall in the interchange, with the message, it 'On your way to work by bus, why work when it pays more to walk'.

In London it sounds like a bicycle would be a good investment for short distances.

I usually commute on my motorcycle CBF125, it does 100+mpg, £75 per year to insure and £17 to tax.

It's good if you're doing <40 miles per day, but then I would recommend that no one commutes over 20 miles each way as there is just no need.

Fast going off trains.......another good reason not to live miles away from your work......another good reason not to work in an area where you can't live. ;)