House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheCountOfNowhere

Public Sector Basketball Players Complaining About Lack Of Free Money....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/basketball/28861719

"

Great Britain's Kieron Achara reveals £15-a-day struggle"

"Ahead of Wednesday's match against Iceland, Achara outlined what UK Sport's decision to strip all Olympic funding earlier this year has meant."

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/sport/summer/basketball

"UK Sport invested £3.7 million into GB Basketball for the Beijing cycle, boosted to £8.6 million over the four years of the London cycle. "

( i assume invested actually means SPENT ).

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/commercial-partnerships/

"UK Sport has in recent times been able to draw upon unprecedented levels of public funding support from the government Exchequer and the National Lottery"

Are we being taxed to pay for people to play basket ball ( for the Olympic cause ) and other sports ?

Are they now complaining they aren't getting enough of other peoples money ?

If they are struggling maybe they could...GET A ****ING JOB.

Sympathy None. Anger plenty.

We should have a special tax for ANY sports stars who in any way benefitted from public money to reclaim some of that money should they hit the big time and get advertising contracts. Disgusting many of these scumbag footballers were helped by public money, go on to become millionaires and then do the tax avoidance thing.

But then I don't get sports. Why would I be 'proud' Mo Farrah can run a few miliseconds quicker than the next guy. Wake me up when he cures cancer.

We should have a special tax for ANY sports stars who in any way benefitted from public money to reclaim some of that money should they hit the big time and get advertising contracts. Disgusting many of these scumbag footballers were helped by public money, go on to become millionaires and then do the tax avoidance thing.

But then I don't get sports. Why would I be 'proud' Mo Farrah can run a few miliseconds quicker than the next guy. Wake me up when he cures cancer.

Im with you on that. The money the footballers get now is disgusting. I turned my back on football a long time ago now.

I am shocked that my children get less ( not my choice) so someone can play basketball ( their choice ). I am then even more shocked they have the cheek to complain about it.

Im with you on that. The money the footballers get now is disgusting. I turned my back on football a long time ago now.

I am shocked that my children get less ( not my choice) so someone can play basketball ( their choice ). I am then even more shocked they have the cheek to complain about it.

Theres something ever so nefarious and communist about it. Note how despite making the worst cars and other goods, communist dictatorships always turned out the best atheletes.

Only despotic nations seem to lose sleep over sports, or measure their worth in how many little gold trinkets they can get. I think its because they can put a singular human face on their propaganda campaign, rather than actually improve the lot of the average man. The average brain moron isn't so bothered about living standards when he's off his tits cheering on England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/basketball/28861719

"

Great Britain's Kieron Achara reveals £15-a-day struggle"

"Ahead of Wednesday's match against Iceland, Achara outlined what UK Sport's decision to strip all Olympic funding earlier this year has meant."

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/sport/summer/basketball

"UK Sport invested £3.7 million into GB Basketball for the Beijing cycle, boosted to £8.6 million over the four years of the London cycle. "[/size]

( i assume invested actually means SPENT ).

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/commercial-partnerships/

"UK Sport has in recent times been able to draw upon unprecedented levels of public funding support from the government Exchequer and the National Lottery"[/size]

Are we being taxed to pay for people to play basket ball ( for the Olympic cause ) and other sports ?

Are they now complaining they aren't getting enough of other peoples money ?

If they are struggling maybe they could...GET A ****ING JOB.

Sympathy None. Anger plenty.

It is frankly scandalous how little is invested in this sport given how much public money went into the Olympics and also given how celebrated the monarchy was throughout this given how much they cost and how little they do in comparison. Anyone who is forced to sing 'God save our gracious Queen while being paid appittance to do a very demanding sport has my sympathy although I think they're a bit foolish not to raise the comparison.

Just a bit of background to this, regardless of headline figures invested there were many professional athletes dueing the Olympics who were living on less than 15,000/year iirc, some were really struggling with all the training and travelling they had to do.

Just a bit of background to this, regardless of headline figures invested there were many professional athletes dueing the Olympics who were living on less than 15,000/year iirc, some were really struggling with all the training and travelling they had to do.

'had to do'? Or chose to do because they pursue their sport hobby full-time and expect others to subsidise their recreation?

There was a time 'amateur' sportsmen took part for the enjoyment, and also had real jobs to fund it.

'had to do'? Or chose to do because they pursue their sport hobby full-time and expect others to subsidise their recreation?

There was a time 'amateur' sportsmen took part for the enjoyment, and also had real jobs to fund it.

This is not about someone playing a sport because they enjoy it. They are professionals doing a job in professional sport and representing their country. It is a job that not everyone can do and they shouldn't be expected to live on appitence.

This is not about someone playing a sport because they enjoy it. They are professionals doing a job in professional sport and representing their country. It is a job that not everyone can do and they shouldn't be expected to live on appitence.

Why not? If your job can't support you then find another. Professional sport has no more argument for being publically funded than anything else. Indeed if it's supposed to be professional then that's even more reason that it should have to stand on its own two feet. It isn't a public service - that part of sport is where there's justification for public money (public swimming pools, playing fields etc.), not the pro area.