House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zugzwang

Walmart Workers Abandon Dream Of Homeownership, Opt To Live In Store Instead

CORSICANA, Texas – News that a 14-year-old boy lived inside a Texas Walmart for four days without being noticed has inspired hundreds of Walmart employees across the country to re-evaluate their own housing situations. Many employees at the behemoth retailing chain say that they’ve “finally given up on the dream of owning a home” and have decided to save money by living inside Walmart stores instead.

“Before I heard about this, it never occurred to me that I could actually live at Walmart,” said Marion Kane, 27, an employee at the Louisville, Ky., Walmart. “I always thought I’d own my home by now, but that’s unrealistic. On my budget, it just makes more sense to save money on rent and commuting by just living behind the toilet paper on aisle 9 between shifts.”

Even some workers with families have decided that making a home inside Walmart is their best option. “In my last apartment, me and all three of my kids shared a 10-by-10 bedroom,” said Jane Kaufman, of Buffalo. “Now we can each have a whole department to ourselves—even if we fight over who gets to live by the snack food each week.”

http://www.newslo.com/walmart-2/

Walmart-645x325.png

I've always thought were I could live if I had to be homeless.

---

Maybe on some large roundabouts (no dog walkers, plenty of bush cover).

On the roof of secondary shopping centres/bingo halls etc with pop up tent.

In the middle of a national park.

Walmart also has a general policy of allowing RV owners to stay in the parking lot overnight if there's space, so maybe they could just buy an RV instead of a house.

I used to know an IT contractor who would just park his van outside wherever he was working, and sleep in it.

---

I've often thought about this too, as a kind of day dream. Hope it doesn't ever become reality.

Along railway cuttings in the UK is a possibility, where there is a lot of overgrowth. Allotments,- know of a case of a guy living on his allotment for years after being made homeless.

I think anywhere that's private property you'll get noticed quite quickly.

---

A public library; as long as I could find a hiding place.

Perhaps you could borrow a nice, thick reference volume and cut a hole in all the pages to make a cavity. Then, after returning it, you could sneak into the library just before closing time...

Volunteer to work there. Sorted

She beat me to it!

I've been working on my own country number....

Got my Mazda down at Asda

And everything's looking rosy

My nightly kips are down by the skips

And my back seat's kinda cosy...

Allotments,- know of a case of a guy living on his allotment for years after being made homeless.

I think anywhere that's private property you'll get noticed quite quickly.

Did they have loos on site?

We've had someone sleep on ours a few times pissed up. We assumed that he shit and pissed somewhere as he didn't leave his shed.

Planning wouldn't like it/

Did they have loos on site?

We've had someone sleep on ours a few times pissed up. We assumed that he shit and pissed somewhere as he didn't leave his shed.

Planning wouldn't like it/

There was a case recently of a tramp who was able to prove (not sure how) that he had lived in a small shed hidden on Hampstead Heath for over seven years, which gave him common-law rights to remain there.

My back up plan in case of destitution is to live in a caravan on a friend's farm. He's land rich but cash poor and we've agreed that I'd pay him rent from income support. You have to keep a low profile though because if you're not living in the same residence as the landowner (there's a minimum number of nights I believe) you get moved on.

The famous Miss Shepherd, the 'Lady in the Van' that Sir Alan Bennet wrote about, had mysterious sanitary arrangements that he never worked out. His theory was that she used some sort of pads which were then disposed of in local rubbish bins. :o:unsure:

This reminds me of an episode of 'My Name is Earl' when they woke up on Jan 1st 2000 hung-over and went out only to find the streets and shops deserted... so they assumed armageddon had come and that they were the only survivors... so they broke into the local Wal-Mart type store and began to live in it...

...but then they had a fight and all went to occupy their parts of the store.