House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattW

Build More Bungalows

http://blog.zoopla.co.uk/2014/08/18/bungalows-for-sale-could-solve-britains-housing-crisis/

Increasing the supply of bungalows would enable older people to downsize to smaller homes, freeing up larger properties for families, Brandon Lewis claimed.

Britain’s shortage of homes has been one of the key factors driving up house prices during the past year, as the supply of suitable properties has failed to keep up with demand.

Good idea. It's a shame that developers think there is little profit in bungalows, sadly.

Good idea. It's a shame that developers think there is little profit in bungalows, sadly.

What....the size of the home is the land it sits on.....three nice three story town houses with courtyard gardens overlooking a brick wall makes better use of low supply of expensive land with planning permission......what's wrong with a lift? families with young children and the elderly can live in a multi story skyscraper with a view of some great clouds and a glorious sunrise, some people are never satisfied. ;)

Lots of bunglows around here, we're renting our third one! We might even buy one, not that we need a bungalow, but they're better value for money than a 3br seni or 4bed detached.

No old people snapping them up around here, as they're all happy lining in the family homes they've occupied for the mast 30 years. I'm quite happy for them to stay in their family homes and we build many many more quality homes with large front and back gardens + parking.

Need to scrap the planning system and density targets for a start as outside major cities they're blatantly not needed and inside cities, land prices look after density issues. the whole planning system solves a non problem and is just there to prevent houses from being built.

When is a bungalow not a bungalow? ;)

Yeah, kinda defeats the object when bungalow owners insist on these fancy attic conversions! ;)

Lots of bunglows around here, we're renting our third one! We might even buy one, not that we need a bungalow, but they're better value for money than a 3br seni or 4bed detached.

No old people snapping them up around here, as they're all happy lining in the family homes they've occupied for the mast 30 years. I'm quite happy for them to stay in their family homes and we build many many more quality homes with large front and back gardens + parking.

Need to scrap the planning system and density targets for a start as outside major cities they're blatantly not needed and inside cities, land prices look after density issues. the whole planning system solves a non problem and is just there to prevent houses from being built.

Maybe in London and a couple other cities. But places like Birmingham? Nottingham? If it wasn't for planning restrictions there would be massive white flight just like in US cities. I cant believe many people would actually choose to live in an inner area of Birmingham or Nottingham if they could built a nice suburban house 5 miles outside.

Bungalows seem to sell for high prices round here (Chester) which limits the potential equity released by downsizing. I guess many people think about losing a bedroom or two but realise they'd have little to gain, even with prices in bubblemania. If mobility allows I guess they'll stay put instead.

Looked at a bungalow as a potential rental; ultmately the huge garden and heating bills ruled it out for us.

I cant believe many people would actually choose to live in an inner area of Birmingham or Nottingham if they could built a nice suburban house 5 miles outside.

And that would be a problem because?

One of my relatives used to live in a bungalow in the UK, but when she went into a care home she had to sell it. Now the developer who bought it is knocking hers down so he can build two new houses with half the amount of land. That seems to be common around where she lived, because vile statist bastards refuse to let anyone build nice suburban homes on the farmland nearby.

And that would be a problem because?

One of my relatives used to live in a bungalow in the UK, but when she went into a care home she had to sell it. Now the developer who bought it is knocking hers down so he can build two new houses with half the amount of land. That seems to be common around where she lived, because vile statist bastards refuse to let anyone build nice suburban homes on the farmland nearby.

Nuts isn't it, to knock down a perfectly good home so two can be built in its place. All that is needed is for a scrap of land to have been given PP and there would be three homes instead of two with no extra cost.

Loads of bungalows near me and some weird chalet style housing. Many enormous (built in the 60's/70's of course) many in what was the 'countryside.' Now almost exclusively occupied by pensioners/boomers. I walk or go for a run at night and even on the coldest, frostiest night and no need to pull the curtains thanks to cold weather payments, but quite often see a solitary pensioner in front of the TV.

These are the streets where children don't pay. Families are squashed into new builds and Victorian terraces.

I have got a dormer bunglaow. I don't actually think they are that suitable for older people....you can live on one level........but what about the massive grounds. Many were built in the 1930s-1950s on mega plots. Though I guess some older boomers could pay out for gardeners.

Edited by crashmonitor

I have got a dormer bunglaow. I don't actually think they are that suitable for older people....you can live on one level........but what about the massive grounds. Many were built in the 1930s-1950s on mega plots. Though I guess some older boomers could pay out for gardeners.

Isn't the idea that you retire and spend all of your time gardening? My idea is to retire to a flat near the pub!

Only bungalows round here are old council ones.

All been done up and solid as you like of course.

State would need to build them basically. As has been said, private builders will just shoebox as much as they can these days. Bungalows are seen as a waste of time/profit.

Dream home would be a light and airy self-build bungalow on 4 acre plot.

I'd settle for a light and airy self-build bungalow on a 1/2 acre plot with decent soil.

They're easy to maintain.

Hallway, decent sized sitting / dining room with an adjoining but separate kitchen, two bedrooms, bathroom, and a 2nd loo that can be accessed from both inside and outside the house.

& some of those rather forgotten features called - cupboards.

As the above is unlikely to happen, realistically, I'll probably get a campervan.

Edited by LiveinHope

There's one at Maltby le Marsh, Lincolnshire for 395k (3 acres), but on the particular computer, the package wont let me copy and paste.

That's not a bad layout.

Looks like the present owners just like mowing.

I'd rip out all the trees & make a decent paddock for a couple of livestock, and chickens and market garden the rest.

Don't know anything about the area for prices.

£250k (maybe £300k) would feel a good offer price, so I am probably out of touch with reality.

If not, the £250k is better off paying my rent for the next 30 years, while also being available to spend if needs be.

Edited by LiveinHope

That's not a bad layout.

Looks like the present owners just like mowing.

I'd rip out all the trees & make a decent paddock for a couple of livestock, and chickens and market garden the rest.

Don't know anything about the area for prices.

£250k would feel a good offer price, so I am probably out of touch with reality.

If not, the £250k is better off paying my rent for the next 30 years, while also being available to spend if needs be.

I tend to see what is going around N E Lincs for my wish list because it is rural, quiet, no trunk roads and quite cheap. I could have copied and pasted now http://www.willsons-property.co.uk/property/4701048 because I'm at different location.

Anything around Nottingham with land would be ten times the price and they would turn it into a Barrett estate.

I tend to see what is going around N E Lincs for my wish list because it is rural, quiet, no trunk roads and quite cheap. I could have copied and pasted now http://www.willsons-property.co.uk/property/4701048 because I'm at different location.

Anything around Nottingham with land would be ten times the price and they would turn it into a Barrett estate.

So, what would you say it is 'worth'

So, what would you say it is 'worth'

Well if it is anything like most of the properties in rural Lincolnshire they tend to get stuck on the market for a few years and have several reductions so I would not be rushing in too fast and they probably aren't the best houses if you want to sell on. As Kirsty would say...'your forever house' because like it or not it might be by default. Maybe 335ish.

rightmove link.......

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31502088.html

Looks like you could have your own 18 hole pitch and putt course.

Edited by crashmonitor

Makes the first look expensive, 250k top for the first 450k for the second.

I'll never buy a house.

Trouble is we deal in relative value not value. Second bedroom looks like a cupboard and not sure where the lakes and grand avenues are going to go. East London innit?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31424514.html

Edited by crashmonitor

Trouble is we deal in relative value not value. Second bedroom looks like a cupboard and not sure where the lakes and grand avenues are going to go. East London innit?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31424514.html

Picture 13 makes it look like it was once a part of our WWII coastal defences.

Trouble is, mentally, I deal in Value, not relative value.

I just look at house prices and see what a similar sum of money could do instead.