House Price Crash Forum
worried1

Housing Market 'pausing For Breath'

Has anyone noticed this phrase creeping into any housing market commentary lately? Obviously, it is too much to admit that it might have stopped rising altogether or even go down, so it is merely pausing for breath, presumably before shooting up again next month.

The annoying thing is that I have seen it in several balanced and well written articles.

Has anyone noticed this phrase creeping into any housing market commentary lately? Obviously, it is too much to admit that it might have stopped rising altogether or even go down, so it is merely pausing for breath, presumably before shooting up again next month.

The annoying thing is that I have seen it in several balanced and well written articles.

Yes i pause for breath when walking a Peak, Before going down again. :unsure:

I reserve my judgement, we had an unseasonable pause in March...now we have a seasonable pause. I think Carney should raise interest rates now, he is even back tracking on the tough talk now and this may give the market another year imo. Plus we have pension liquidity day on the horizon (6th April 2015) when boomers have access to their pots.

Haven't noticed that one, but I'm sure I will. What I keep seeing is references to prices 'softening' or 'easing' , rather than use the 4 letter D word. It's as if they're terrified of it, and merely using it will summon the D Demon in all his cruel savagery re their nice little portfolios.

http://

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/themes/treatments/iron_lung.aspx

Apparently there's a knob to adjust the respiration rate.

Edited by billybong

When I noticed it last week I immediately thought of that line from Life Of Brian:

GOLIATH: [pant pant pant] Ooh. Ooh. I-- I think I'm about to have a... cardiac arrest. Ooh. Ooh.

Meanwhile, the everything else market is not pausing for breath, its still running faster and faster

When I noticed it last week I immediately thought of that line from Life Of Brian:

Not seen the Life of Brian but caught a quote from it on radio4 yesterday....Brian....''You are individuals''....crowd repeat in synch ''We are all individuals''....one bloke in the crowd, however, shouts out........ ''I am not an individual''. Quite good I thought.

Not seen the Life of Brian but caught a quote from it on radio4 yesterday....Brian....''You are individuals''....crowd repeat in synch ''We are all individuals''....one bloke in the crowd, however, shouts out........ ''I am not an individual''. Quite good I thought.

It's quite astute and very witty, you should watch it. I wish I could go back to a state of not having seen it and watch it afresh - only problem is that it's almost as if a lot of the jokes have passed over into general cultural, and so you might find that you've heard a lot of the punchlines already without having realised. Still well worth watching it though, for about the price of a pint!

I think that was a slight misquote: the reality was even a little better.

You can find the clip on youtube. If you google for that ultra-famous quote "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy", it's the same scene.

Quite naturally, house prices can only go up. Expect the average price to be £1 million in years to come.

£1 million? Pah. I used to pay £1.1million per month in rent, for a decent-size but shabby flat.

[edit to add] £ being of course Italian Lire. An illustration of what happens when you debase the currency.

Edited by porca misèria

Quite naturally, house prices can only go up. Expect the average price to be £1 million in years to come.

With average pay rises running at 0.6 percent i think the £1 million pound average is a long way off.