House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pent Up

Herbalife.

Has anyone heard of this? I have at least 7 facebook 'friends' who seemed to have taken up the 'business oppotunity' of peddling this stuff. Or so it seems.

However upon further inspection of the profiles of said 'friends' not one actually offers the stuff for sale. Apparently they are perfectly good sports/diet supplements but are very overpriced and nothing you can't get from Holland and Barrett. All these people seem to do is to intice people to join herbalife.

Now why would you saturate your own market by signing up all your friends to sell this crap too? It's obviously some kind of pyramid scheme where you earn your money by signing up new mugs.

"I wouldn't have dreamed of driving a mercedes SLK a couple of years ago but thanks to herbalife the dream is reality"

"I now know that the financial future of me and my family is secure thanks to herbalife"

But some of the posts are quite frightening. It's almost like a cult!

Any one know any more details? Like how much you get for signing new entrants, how much you have to pay for your 'business oppotunity'? Also aren't the laws to prevent this kind of thing?

It has been the subject of great financial interest re the stock market over the past 12 to 18 months or so.

One billionaire trader took out a massive short position on the share price claiming that, allegedly, the company is all smokin' mirrors with wild claims as to what the product can do. Another billionaire then went long and, as a result, the share price has soared and crashed and soared... and so on.

These two guys have been slugging it out in the US courts, on TV, etc.

Women in offices across the UK are buying it and I know of senior Police officers whose wives now run franchises. You need to go to a site like Marketwatch or SeekingAlpha and have a read of all the Herbalice articles.

Mate of mine has joined Forever Living - similar thing selling expensive Aloe Vera-based "cure all". Seems it will fix anything. He's a decent chap but but naive and despite my protestations refused to believe it was a pyramid scheme and that he was very late to the party. His main justification was the top bloke in the UK sends his kids to Eton and drives an Aston Martin. There's a lot of this nonsense about.

Some friends of mine on Facebook have joined a pyramid scheme called the 'property market' or something like that. They're quite evangelical about signing up new entrants and think their financial future is secure thanks to being 'on the ladder'.

Herbal life is Multilevel marketing.

It is nothing new, and has been going on for ages.

Instead of buying something in the shop, you buy from a seller who gets on going royalties from each sale, and from other people's sales further down the chain (like a pyramid scheme, but multi-level marketing is completely legal).

It can work, and be lucrative for people who joined early, and are good at selling to people (great if you have 10,000 Facebook friends).

You need the "gift of the gab".

Network-Marketing.jpg

You can see why the Egyptians and the illuminati worship pyramids! It is a powerful command structure if you are at the top! A bit like the property ladder.

But some of the posts are quite frightening. It's almost like a cult!

And I think it is! :blink:

It is nothing new, and has been going on for ages.

Instead of buying something in the shop, you buy from a seller who gets on going royalties from each sale, and from other people's sales further down the chain (like a pyramid scheme, but multi-level marketing is completely legal).

It can work, and be lucrative for people who joined early, and are good at selling to people (great if you have 10,000 Facebook friends).

Network-Marketing.jpg

You can see why the Egyptians and the illuminati worship pyramids! It is a powerful command structure if you are at the top! A bit like the property ladder.

But I can't seemed to find anyone who actually sells the products! All they are interested in is signing up new reps.

I'd like to know the commission for signing someone up?

People want to sign up new people, because that moves them up the chain!

I don't know the details of the Herbal Life program, but the problem with multi-level marketing in general is that there will always be too many who want to be chiefs and not enough Indians.

You see if you are a few levels up, you get royalties by sitting on your bum all day (as the Chief), while the Indians go out and do the hard sell, and earn you the royalties. Can you imagine getting £10 per month from each your sign ups and their sign ups below? You sign up ten people, and those ten people each sign up ten people, and so on. If you have 1000 people under you, that can be pretty lucrative! The beauty with Herbal Life is that it is a weightloss program, and people are going to need these drinks for the rest of their lives - thats income and thus "rent/royalities" for a some time as long as people eat rubbish.

And so we come back to capital chasing yield, BTL, blah blah blah - no one wants to go out and do work, everyone wants the rewards of work but not put the effort in. 1000s of years of the same attitudes!

Have a little pyramid

Pyramids_In_Egypt_Royalty_Free_Clipart_P

People want to sign up new people, because that moves them up the chain!

I don't know the details of the Herbal Life program, but the problem with multi-level marketing in general is that there will always be too many who want to be chiefs and not enough Indians.

You see if you are a few levels up, you get royalties by sitting on your bum all day (as the Chief), while the Indians go out and do the hard sell, and earn you the royalties.

Have a little pyramid

Pyramids_In_Egypt_Royalty_Free_Clipart_P

But if no one actually sells any products then there's no commission for anyone. Unless there is a sign up bonus. Or from what I've seen on Facebook the new reps have to buy a certain amount of the product for their first batch.

Thanks for the nice pyramid picture :)

Herbal Life are enjoying double digit growth in recent years according to wiki. I think people's buying patterns are changing, and people are more cult like, possibly to have a sense of belonging (I note Churches and Pubs, Masonic Halls, British Legion Halls are closing down) in a cold busy lonely world.

There is another big "brand" that is doing well by word of mouth, and that is SuperDry clothing which I believe has spent next to nothing on advertising but are opening up big stores everywhere, and plenty of people wear the clothes.

When things go viral - they go viral!

But if no one actually sells any products then there's no commission for anyone. Unless there is a sign up bonus. Or from what I've seen on Facebook the new reps have to buy a certain amount of the product for their first batch.

Thanks for the nice pyramid picture :)

they have to buy product to earn the discount to put them on the ladder.

Mate of mine has joined Forever Living - similar thing selling expensive Aloe Vera-based "cure all". Seems it will fix anything. He's a decent chap but but naive and despite my protestations refused to believe it was a pyramid scheme and that he was very late to the party. His main justification was the top bloke in the UK sends his kids to Eton and drives an Aston Martin. There's a lot of this nonsense about.

Friend of mine has been at this for over 10 years now, does very well at it too. I actually like these products & have bought the aloe vera and pollen tabs for ages.

I know some one who does the Herbal Life too. I will ask what they make for sign ups. Girl I know hasn't asked me to sign up but is strongly convinced that I need strawberry shakes (she's wrong)

Is it sensible eating and exercise?

Everyone knows that......but putting into practice is the difficult bit.....but hey, I know an easy and quick way... ;)

Friend of mine has been at this for over 10 years now, does very well at it too. I actually like these products & have bought the aloe vera and pollen tabs for ages.

I know some one who does the Herbal Life too. I will ask what they make for sign ups. Girl I know hasn't asked me to sign up but is strongly convinced that I need strawberry shakes (she's wrong)

Yep, if he got in 10 years ago, and my mate has only just got in, then your mate is probably raking it in. My mate is reliant on greater fools at a very late stage of the pyramid.

I can't comment on the product too much, but after a cursory look it did seem that much cheaper versions of the same product are readily available.

What pisses me off with these sorts of schemes/scams is that they rely on people selling to their friends and family, who often don't want to say "no". It's a "guilt sale". They drill into them that "the product is great therefore it's morally correct for me to try to sell it to my family and friends". These people become very evangelical and cult-like. This hasn't happened to my mate (yet), but I've come across some of these "cult members" before. It's a mixture of gullibility/greed/desperation.

And a morality/dignity/shame bypass.

This thread just reminded me - I spoke to a bloke about the Herbalife opportunity back in 2002. If I had gone for it (and been a shameless sleaze ball) I could be minted by now!

Every few years there is some pyramid scam or another started in Wales usually aimed at women who work in large female dominated workplaces - hospitals, schools, food factories, etc. Some of the sums involved are eye-watering - 18 million, 34 million, etc.

The tight knit communities of Wales make it an ideal target for the scamsters. If you do a google for pyramid selling in Wales you will find many such examples.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8556482.stm