House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

The Cost Of Wanting To Live Near To Where You Work

I work in the private sector in the London area. Our company seem to have problems recruiting and retaining quality staff due to the prohibitive cost of property prices, and to a lesser extent renting.

Another option is to travel to work, but the transport system is overcrowed, unreliable, timeconsuming & costly, and the roads are a nightmare.

The London waiting has not been reviewed for over 10 years. Either houseprices will have to fall, or wages (inflation) will need to rise.

the London weighting in many jobs is only about £4k pa................but my experience of working there is that in some jobs people get a lot more money than elsewhere but the majority of people aren't any better off than people in the regions

the London weighting in many jobs is only about £4k pa................but my experience of working there is that in some jobs people get a lot more money than elsewhere but the majority of people aren't any better off than people in the regions

Michael,

I think you are right, sometimes I wonder if working in London is worth all the aggro. But as they say better the devil you know! Its nice to get away from the place, but I wonder if you would miss it if away for too long?

I work in the private sector in the London area. Our company seem to have problems recruiting and retaining quality staff due to the prohibitive cost of property prices, and to a lesser extent renting.

Another option is to travel to work, but the transport system is overcrowed, unreliable, timeconsuming & costly, and the roads are a nightmare.

The London waiting has not been reviewed for over 10 years. Either houseprices will have to fall, or wages (inflation) will need to rise.

Thats the market. There is a bizarre expectation that prices can only go up, but workers are somehow trapped and simply have to accept their victim status and ever decreasing real income. Well now we find that people can vote themselves out of expensive places with their feet and simply not turn up to work in the expensive areas. Whoops!

In any case, business promotes house price inflation (well the major newspapers do, and don't tell me they are not a representative of the matrix of business VI) but now business finds it can't afford its own frankenstein's monster. Suck eggs!

As for 4K London weighting. Luxury. For council workers apparently it costs only 1.5K to live (but bizarrely, things are structure such that a comparative job in another local government area is graded 6K less)

There is no need for many London companies to be in London. If they can't recruit then relocate. Why must they always be in London or the south east? There are plenty of other large towns and cities where they could get better staff cheaper and I'm not talking about abroad. Any country so centralised as the UK is going to have problems like that in its designated centre.

There is no need for many London companies to be in London. If they can't recruit then relocate. Why must they always be in London or the south east? There are plenty of other large towns and cities where they could get better staff cheaper and I'm not talking about abroad. Any country so centralised as the UK is going to have problems like that in its designated centre.

Yes, but you can't relocate everything outside London. Tesco, Sainsburys still need to employ checkout assistants, banks still need cashiers, and who is going to deliver our letters? and at what cost?

Yes, but you can't relocate everything outside London. Tesco, Sainsburys still need to employ checkout assistants, banks still need cashiers, and who is going to deliver our letters? and at what cost?

But if even 5% of the pressure was eased on London, house prices drop back to a realistic span based on the realistic affordability span generated by earnings. If 10% left London, prices would probably plummet. Its supply and demand. Must go look for that out-of-London job now!

This reminds me of a thing a tutor once told me at college when I studied history: "If towns were such dreadful overpopulated polluted places to live in, then why didn't they return to their relatives living in the supposed rural idyll?"

Whenever I've lived away from London I've always missed it terribly. I feel like I'm missing the party.

They could move everything to Leeds, I don't think that would solve any problems, though the amalgamation of Eastenders and Coronation Street would clear up some scheduling issues.

The fact is that every population center in the UK has the same problems to a lesser degree, it's just that many people don't see it, not least the media, so they assume the problems seemingly only afflict London, in reality most public transport and nearly three quarters rail spending occurs in the South East of England yet it still isn't enough, so you imagine what the other places are like considering they all have to fight over that remaining 1/3.

Take the M6 for example, it's three lanes and equally busy parts of the M25? Soon to be 6 lanes each way, and four lane minimum all other areas courtesy of the public purse, the solution for the M6? Another toll road on a new route through virgin countryside, this couldn't happen in London... no virgin around Essex.

:)

Edited by BuyingBear