House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

Climbing Mount Everest The Easy Way

Ah, good - it now works.

My chest was tightening up just watching that.

It is interesting how they can make such an animation model from satellite images and some kind of 3D tool. Makes you wonder what some of the military see when they go on ops nowadays.

Wow! Starts to get scary around Camp 3 IMO. Didn`t realise the route to the summit loops around on itself. Read Into Thin Air recently, truly mental stuff. Has anyone on here done the trek to base camp, or even attempted an ascent of the mountain?

Scary place.

You can die horribly from altitude sickness without leaving Base Camp if you try to acclimatise too quickly.

I remember reading accounts of crossing the icefall at the start of the Everest climb years ago and that was enough to put me off mountaineering for life. Even pre-prepared and roped ascents across the glacier looked very perilous as it is always shifting and changing its configuration One slip and you can end up down a crevasse and your nearest and dearest wont see you again until your mangled bones are spat out at the terminal moraine decades later

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/04/22/mount_everests_khumbu_icefall_has_deadly_history.html

BTW Hard to believe but the south col route is the 'easy' way as outside the icefall most of the rest of the climb is not technically difficult providing the weather, altitude, crevasses or avalanches do not get you. Some of the other routes are either exhausting in length and/or terrifying in difficulty

I think I will settle for gentle strolls across the South Downs thank you.

The whole thing seems to be almost completely dominated now by the sort of tosser that wants to be seen as one of life's winners. I wonder if Audi launched a model that deprived you of oxygen, if you didn't make the journey quickly enough, if they'd opt for that and kill two birds with one stone.

The whole thing seems to be almost completely dominated now by the sort of tosser that wants to be seen as one of life's winners. I wonder if Audi launched a model that deprived you of oxygen, if you didn't make the journey quickly enough, if they'd opt for that and kill two birds with one stone.

I am afraid that is in part because weather, altitude, avalanches and crevasses aside the south col route is feasible for a lot of 'tossers' providing they are fit enough and have got a huge team of sherpas and professional climbers to do all the preliminary technical work for them. That is why in busy periods there are actual queues of people waiting to summit Everest. It is not like climbing the North Face of the Eiger though Everest is probably just as dangerous in its own way

Brilliant....if only Brain Blessed had waited.

As Fred Trueman used to say if Test Match (the board game) had been around when I was a kid I wouldn't have bothered with the real thing.

I selected the 'most dangerous route' option from the start menu - and ended up in friggin' Middlesbrough...!

;)

XYY

How's that thing supposed to work? Just sits there on "Loading" for me.

Crapped out in FF, for me, running Explorer? Thought at one point it would be quicker to climbing it for real.