House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Women Taking The Brunt Since 2008

Almost a million more women have moved into low-paid, insecure jobs since the recession which is fuelling a widening inequality according to a new report.

The Fawcett Society said that since 2008, female under-employment has nearly doubled, to 789,000, and an additional 371,000 women have moved into self-employment, which is typically very low paid.

18th Aug 2014

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/women-move-into-low-paid-jobs-1-6790681

“The evidence is clear: after five years of decline, the UK economy is back on the upswing. Employment is up, unemployment is down and GDP is improving. However, as our research shows, low paid women are being firmly shut out of the recovery.

“The numbers of women in low paid, insecure work are still alarmingly high. Since the crisis in 2008 we have seen a nearly two-fold increase in the numbers of women working in insecure, part-time and temporary jobs where they would prefer to be in secure, full-time roles. In addition, 371,000 more women have moved into self-employment – a form of work which is typically very low paid and where women earn an average of 40 per cent less than men. We have also seen a sharp rise in the numbers of women on controversial zero hours contracts - 1 in 8 low paid women now describe themselves as being on a zero hours contract, the majority through necessity rather than choice. Overall, since 2008 almost a million extra women have moved into types of work that are typically low paid and insecure.

From the source

http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/2014/08/new-research-low-paid-women-firmly-shut-recovery/

Back to the old secret handshake, it's who you know, not what you know, and dig out the gentleman's club membership card.

Edited by 200p

That is because more women are now being forced to work.....before they used to work in the house looking after home and family......making work pay, until it turns around to bite you.

Dual income households won't be such a driver for house price growth. I've always planned it so I could run the household, in case my partner is out of work (and she is, because of M.E). Now how many couples really plan for that?

Dual income households won't be such a driver for house price growth. I've always planned it so I could run the household, in case my partner is out of work (and she is, because of M.E). Now how many couples really plan for that?

For some it is either two incomes or no home...with the hope that one income will grow which it hasn't so that the other can be dropped.

But it is not only that, benefits and the cap has forced mothers into part time work so that they have to employ other poorly paid people to care for their children whilst they are forced to work part time.....what is the point of that? GDP?

And the equivalent statistics for men?

Don't be silly !!

One of the things rarely mentioned - is that for part time work - women earn on average more than men.

Funny when you see all the groups on TV going on and on about unequal pay - never heard even one bring up this point . . .

The reality is there are fewer living wage jobs, so that what work there is is having to be spread amongst more people, fewer hours, lower paid but still employed this week.

But it is not only that, benefits and the cap has forced mothers into part time work so that they have to employ other poorly paid people to care for their children whilst they are forced to work part time.....what is the point of that? GDP?

There's also the opposite pressure: the crazy benefits system means that for many women, working full time is simply not worth it. Might as well pack it in, work part-time at Tesco's and get the tax credits.

I've pointed out several times to Mrs DeepLurker that she could go part-time, and thanks to the benefits system we would only be down by around £100 a month[1].

[1] However her emotional attachment to being an independent woman who can earn (almost) as much as her husband is too strong. Sigh...

Isn't it strange how anything to do with women earning more is always supported by banks? We cannot have women not working to service debt.

The Fawcett Society/KPMG/Lloyds Banking Group/BT Group/Barclays Wealth

http://www.fundraising.co.uk/2009/06/14/institute-fundraising-national-awards-2009-261/

The benefit system is now designed to push people into part time low paid zero contract work.The interesting part will be if the Tories increase the hours needed for tax credits.Im hearing rumours they are looking at 32 hours for a couple minimum and 25 hours for single parents.Most part time jobs are structured for tax credits (16 hours).

That is because more women are now being forced to work.....before they used to work in the house looking after home and family......making work pay, until it turns around to bite you.

I'd also suggest more women are/were in public sector jobs, and given the general need to decrease the size of the public sector (not sure it is happening fast enough) and the general level of public sector non jobs under Labour it is hardly surprising.

Little in it between a non job and benefits......at least being at home caring for family is more productive and a better use of valuable time.

Im going into a Local Authority Office block this afternoon..Ill have a count up how many are women.

ALL the people in the department I deal with are women by the way.

If women are bearing the brunt...that means they will be taking it out on some bloke....Men are bearing the brunt in reality.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

If women are bearing the brunt...that means they will be taking it out on some bloke....Men are bearing the brunt in reality.

Depends how you look at it.....in what they can do there is hardly anything between them....after all it only takes a few hours at most to give birth the only thing a man can't do and needs help with.

Then the whole of the population is getting poorer compared to "the 1%" under LibLabCon.

Although the Fawcett Society reports it's been been bad for some females and maybe even a lot of females it's only part of the picture.

I suppose it's understandable that the entire board of the Fawcett Society is female.

http://

www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/governance/

Edited by billybong

As promised.

On the 2 floors I visited today the men I saw were:

1 porter

1 receptionist.

On the floors themselves about 7 women to every man....in the two alcoves I passed and could see from the meeting room, the entire staff were marched out from each alcove to meetings in the room next door...about 30 people, in a one hour meeting whilst I was there.

i was of course in a meeting...with a woman council employee.

Almost a million more women have moved into low-paid, insecure jobs since the recession which is fuelling a widening inequality according to a new report.

The Fawcett Society said that since 2008, female under-employment has nearly doubled, to 789,000, and an additional 371,000 women have moved into self-employment, which is typically very low paid.

18th Aug 2014

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/women-move-into-low-paid-jobs-1-6790681

“The evidence is clear: after five years of decline, the UK economy is back on the upswing. Employment is up, unemployment is down and GDP is improving. However, as our research shows, low paid women are being firmly shut out of the recovery.
“The numbers of women in low paid, insecure work are still alarmingly high. Since the crisis in 2008 we have seen a nearly two-fold increase in the numbers of women working in insecure, part-time and temporary jobs where they would prefer to be in secure, full-time roles. In addition, 371,000 more women have moved into self-employment – a form of work which is typically very low paid and where women earn an average of 40 per cent less than men. We have also seen a sharp rise in the numbers of women on controversial zero hours contracts - 1 in 8 low paid women now describe themselves as being on a zero hours contract, the majority through necessity rather than choice. Overall, since 2008 almost a million extra women have moved into types of work that are typically low paid and insecure.

From the source

http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/2014/08/new-research-low-paid-women-firmly-shut-recovery/

Or you can meet a bloke at 17 divorce him at 50 Kids all grown up get somewhere near 60% of everything he owns (obviously the woman gets to live in the family home why not after all she is bearing the brunt) and even though she has met someone we have to still pay her a salary to keep her in the life she is accustomed to oh did I mention the company car and phone we pay for?

Just seeing my brother go through this - F**** crazy got that off my chest !