House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Appeal Court Upholds Oath To Queen In Citizenship Case

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/appeal-court-upholds-oath-to-queen-in-citizenship-case/article20032155/

In a 22-page ruling last September, Ontario Superior Court Justice Edward Morgan laid out the history of Canada’s evolution as a constitutional monarchy and turned down the request to void the oath.

He ruled that while the oath did on its face appear to infringe the right to free expression in the Charter, it did so minimally. The violation, in the form of “compelled speech,” he ruled, was a “reasonable limit” on a constitutional right in light of Parliament’s objective to have new citizens swear allegiance to the country’s constitutional structure.

However, the Court of Appeal on Wednesday also agreed with a cross-appeal filed by the federal government on this point and overturned Justice Morgan’s finding that the oath violates the Charter’s free expression rights, meaning that the government does not even need to justify it as a “reasonable limit” on free speech.

Well my contract with the Queen got broken the day i took a pound note saying 'I promise to pay the bearer one pound' to Buckingham Palace, and Prince Philip told me to just f*** off.

Liz, if you're reading this, you still owe me a quid.

Well my contract with the Queen got broken the day i took a pound note saying 'I promise to pay the bearer one pound' to Buckingham Palace, and Prince Philip told me to just f*** off.

A pound of Sterling silver, surely?

You went to the wrong place, it's the BoE's "promise" even if it happens to be written near a picture of the queen.

I can't remember ever swearing an oath of loyalty to the queen. I think they just took it as read as I was born here. For the record, I'm not loyal to her. If the government want to deport me for it I'm fine with that, as long as they pay my airfare.