House Price Crash Forum
thebritishway

My Mum & Dad Keep Telling Me To Buy A House And People At Work!

I am 27 years old. I have £50,000 in savings. Average wage job.

But since the age of 20 people keep telling me how... "House prices never go down and always go up"

Everyone I know is like a parrot repeating the same thing "Buy a house, and then buy another house to rent it out"

Most people I know have 2 houses, or are flipping houses. Some family members have 2 or 3 houses.

I just know in my heart something is not quite right.

Average House prices near me have gone up £40,000 in 2 years. People just say to me "I told you so" or "see you should have bought already"

I'm going crazy here because I feel like the weird guy still living at home with mummy and daddy waiting for a crash to come. When all my friends are buying house number 2.

Anyways, happy I found this website. It will keep me sane a little while longer.

But since the age of 20 people keep telling me how... "House prices never go down and always go up"

Everyone I know is like a parrot repeating the same thing "Buy a house, and then buy another house to rent it out"

Most people I know have 2 houses, or are flipping houses. Some family members have 2 or 3 houses.

Average House prices near me have gone up £40,000 in 2 years. People just say to me "I told you so" or "see you should have bought already"

I'm going crazy here because I feel like the weird guy still living at home with mummy and daddy waiting for a crash to come. When all my friends are buying house number 2.

Anyways, happy I found this website. It will keep me sane a little while longer.

Yes, you should have bought already! House prices, always and only, ever go up. What the hell are you doing staying at home with mummy and daddy at 27. I had moved to another country by that age! At the very least you should be renting an overpriced bedsit from one of your smart investor friends! Won't someone think of the GDP! Poor, Osborne must be crying into his cereal thinking about the selfish gits living at home with mummy and daddy and, god forbid, saving money in a bank! Don't you know he has done everything he can to help you to get on to the property ladder. Won't somebody think of the children!

Welcome to HPC! (unless you are an ea, then to hell and damnation with you! :P.... Actually, wouldn't be bad to have a few level headed ea's posting the inside stories. Wasn't there one a while back who use to do just that? I forget their name....)

Since you were 20, prices dropped quite a long way, and in some areas of the country are barely touching their previous 2007 highs.

Yes, it is bargain basement housing in the UK, why do you think the Chinese can't buy enough!

another bored ea or just plain bored

I can smell the fear.

If my parents tried to get me to invest in the ponzi scheme they had made massive untaxed unearned profits from, I'd tell them to f**k off.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Don't just wait for a crash to come.

Live in the meantime.

I think you should consider it.

but make sure you get a really really good price and somewhere that you really really like.

And dont borrow to much in case the econemy goes all wrong again.

Not buying a property when I was younger was a massive mistake. Sure prices are high now, but they could potentially be a lot higher. I'm currently living on the Sussex/Surrey border and prices are sky high, but if Gatwick got its 2nd runway then prices would moonshot as there would be something like -5% unemployment in the local area. And even if the runway doesn't happen, they're just not building anything like the number of houses required to keep a steadily increasing population housed.

Real wages are stagnant at best. What is the ratio of house prices to wages in your area now, and what will it go up to to enable "a lot higher"?

Real wages are stagnant at best. What is the ratio of house prices to wages in your area now, and what will it go up to to enable "a lot higher"?

What happened to DrGUID?

DrGuid was a sleeper account like a few others lately and when the mods spotted him and watched him it was obvious he was a BTL spammer.

His account had been inactive for years then suddenly started up again. Another one was idproperties an old sleeper account.