House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Consumption. Suffering From It?

He also said that on Radio 4 at 0850 this morning. Repetitive, ain't he? And what's he doing with the double pay for one article? Consumption! :lol:

Well it does say at the bottom of the page "A Point of View is broadcast on Fridays on Radio 4 at 20:50 BST and repeated Sundays 08:50 BST or listen on BBC iPlayer". I think the article's just the script of the talk.

I wonder if this is going to change as the population ages? In my younger days I used to like to buy stuff, now I put more effort into reducing the number of things I have. I find possessions to be a confusing distraction, the fewer of them I have the better.

Since you lose all of your possessions anyway, would you rather dispose of them yourself or lumber some hapless relative with the job after you've snuffed it?

There is also a deep satisfaction that comes from not consuming, especially in an environment set up for just that. I recently had to pass through Gatwick airport and dodging all the usual blandishments, spent a total of 4 quid comprising: one M&S tuna sandwich and a half of Fosters from Wetherspoons.

On the other hand ... I do own 12 ukuleles.

Since you lose all of your possessions anyway, would you rather dispose of them yourself or lumber some hapless relative with the job after you've snuffed it?

There is also a deep satisfaction that comes from not consuming, especially in an environment set up for just that. I recently had to pass through Gatwick airport and dodging all the usual blandishments, spent a total of 4 quid comprising: one M&S tuna sandwich and a half of Fosters from Wetherspoons.

On the other hand ... I do own 12 ukuleles.

Twelve?

one for every finger

Well they are not very big are they? The evil twonk made me buy one, and now I know a tune!

I have 2 problems.

1) where to put all the shit given housing is small and shit and without tenure its ball ache moving shit from place to place.

2) they make it so far hard to choose. If you take 1) on board and try to buy a minimum good quality, long lasting goods, brands and quality are so variable and subject to change its really hard. Models and features are so obfuscated you struggle to compare apples with apples. I've spent a couple of days this week running round trying to get a car to pass its MOT on a shoestring because the thought of trying to buy another fills me with even more dread than the worry of scrapping a car that could happily last a couple more years if it wasn't reliant on new parts and labour costs.

I've recently bought a Macbook. I'm not sure why but the plan was that the benefits (OS and hardware quality) will show through in a couple of years times even if it isn't obvious today. Fingers crossed, eh?

I have 2 problems.

1) where to put all the shit given housing is small and shit and without tenure its ball ache moving shit from place to place.

2) they make it so far hard to choose. If you take 1) on board and try to buy a minimum good quality, long lasting goods, brands and quality are so variable and subject to change its really hard. Models and features are so obfuscated you struggle to compare apples with apples. I've spent a couple of days this week running round trying to get a car to pass its MOT on a shoestring because the thought of trying to buy another fills me with even more dread than the worry of scrapping a car that could happily last a couple more years if it wasn't reliant on new parts and labour costs.

I've recently bought a Macbook. I'm not sure why but the plan was that the benefits (OS and hardware quality) will show through in a couple of years times even if it isn't obvious today. Fingers crossed, eh?

So instead of having something that is shit for a short time, you'll have something that's shit for a long one.

I feel better with less stuff.

I used to be a hoarder when I was a child, but as a poster has said, the houses are getting smaller and smaller; where are you meant to put all the stuff?

The choices seem to be:

1. Have loads of 'stuff', which costs a lot - and you'll need a big house to keep all that stuff, which costs a HELL of alot. You will spend a great deal of your life working to pay for your stuff, and the storage of your stuff.

2. Minimal stuff, and you'll need a smaller house/flat, which will save you money and enable you to live in a more interesting place and do more interesting things. I must admit that I take this to the extreme; I live in a one bedroom flat that's 10 minutes walk from the city centre and 10 minutes walk to my job. Don't have alot of stuff, don't have a car, live on about half my wages.

The good thing is that even though we're f*cked with houses, kindles and streaming media mean you can go minimal more easily.

I have 2 problems.

The too much sh1t issue will resolve itself when she divorces you. Every cloud.

I'm a massive spender on stuff! Just got a giant TV, and I haven't bothered with curtains in this house! Each to their own!

So instead of having something that is shit for a short time, you'll have something that's shit for a long one.

That would be a massive improvement on having something really shit for a long time.

That would be a massive improvement on having something really shit for a long time.

I had a Ford Granada for ten years! :huh:

I feel better with less stuff.

I used to be a hoarder when I was a child, but as a poster has said, the houses are getting smaller and smaller; where are you meant to put all the stuff?

The choices seem to be:

1. Have loads of 'stuff', which costs a lot - and you'll need a big house to keep all that stuff, which costs a HELL of alot. You will spend a great deal of your life working to pay for your stuff, and the storage of your stuff.

2. Minimal stuff, and you'll need a smaller house/flat, which will save you money and enable you to live in a more interesting place and do more interesting things. I must admit that I take this to the extreme; I live in a one bedroom flat that's 10 minutes walk from the city centre and 10 minutes walk to my job. Don't have alot of stuff, don't have a car, live on about half my wages.

The good thing is that even though we're f*cked with houses, kindles and streaming media mean you can go minimal more easily.

The struggle is maintaining a balance. As Will Self says, you're consuming even when you're not. And then, where's the line between hoarding and sensibly holding on resources you'll probably need in the future. And then your life turns into a cost benefit analysis of everything. And as you well know, some people are more suited to making those decisions all the time than others. Others in fact are left a quivering mess.

I think breathing is okay.....I tried not doing it once and it made me turn blue. Don`t try this.

On the other hand, Kath Kidson products are a complete waste.

I`m currently planning to buy a new motorcycle, one that will last 10 to 20 years. This is also not a waste.

I also have a ukulele (yes that`s right ONE) Just remember to look before you sit.

I

I`m currently planning to buy a new motorcycle, one that will last 10 to 20 years. This is also not a waste.

I also have a ukulele (yes that`s right ONE) Just remember to look before you sit.

A man of wisdom! I know a few tunes now! I like motorcycles!