House Price Crash Forum
Trampa501

The Great Chinese Exodus

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/the-great-chinese-exodus-1408120906?mobile=y&mobile=y

The Chinese are coming - already many EU countries allow residency if a house purchase of > 500,000 euros is made.

From the Chinese business point of view - they escape a country where they could end in jail (or sometimes even executed), and where pollution, corruption etc are on a different scale

Without fee-paying Chinese students, many colleges in the postrecession Western world simply wouldn't be able to pay the bills. Chinese students are by far the largest group of foreign students on U.S. campuses, and their numbers jumped 21% last year from the year before—to 235,597, according to the Institute of International Education. Their numbers are increasing at a similar pace in Australia. In England, there are now almost as many Chinese students as British ones studying full-time for postgraduate master's degrees.

As always with China, the numbers awe. In his memoirs, Zbigniew Brzezinski, the former national security adviser, recalls a meeting between President Jimmy Carter and Deng. Human rights were on Mr. Carter's agenda, and he started needling the Chinese leader about Beijing's tight emigration policies. "Fine. We'll let them go," Deng snapped. "Are you prepared to accept 10 million?"

Not even Deng could have imagined the human torrent his "open door" reforms would eventually unleash. Try 100 million—and counting.

The UK is about one fifth the size of the US so in the case of the UK it might only mean a couple of million - at most 20 million or so.

Edited by billybong

The UK is about one fifth the size of the US so in the case of the UK it might only mean a couple of million - at most 20 million or so.

Just a couple of million?

Only takes one naiive/desperate/idiot buyer in a town to make the market unreasonable

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/the-great-chinese-exodus-1408120906?mobile=y&mobile=y

The Chinese are coming - already many EU countries allow residency if a house purchase of > 500,000 euros is made.

From the Chinese business point of view - they escape a country where they could end in jail (or sometimes even executed), and where pollution, corruption etc are on a different scale

My daughter did her master"s in about 1999-2000 and even then there was a large percentage of Chinese students on her course (International Relations). This was a Russell Group uni but she thought that at least some of them did not have sufficiently good written English and should not have been admitted. Which was odd, since tutors were extremely hot on standards of written English and I know she was once utterly chagrined to be pulled up over a dangling participle - something your average Brit would probably not even notice. She had to assume standards for overseas students were different, and down to the higher fees they were paying.

I was in China a couple of years ago and I asked a newly graduated Chinese friend if he was going to find work in his home 'town' which wasn't far from Chengdu. He replied that he would move because it was just a village. It has a population of 130,000. About the sixe of Swansea City I believe. The scale of things over there is eye opening.

I was in China a couple of years ago and I asked a newly graduated Chinese friend if he was going to find work in his home 'town' which wasn't far from Chengdu. He replied that he would move because it was just a village. It has a population of 130,000. About the sixe of Swansea City I believe. The scale of things over there is eye opening.

Agreed. Some years ago I had to change trains in Taiyuan in eastern China. Never heard of it before; never heard of it since. Population 3.4 million, making it bigger than any city in the EU except London. Apparently it's famous for its noodles.

Could help to provide a solution for the excess of Chinese men. Marry western women. Most the Chinese around here (Cambridge) are a lot wealthier than the indigenous Britsh men...needless to say, no shortage of women lining up.

Could help to provide a solution for the excess of Chinese men. Marry western women. Most the Chinese around here (Cambridge) are a lot wealthier than the indigenous Britsh men...needless to say, no shortage of women lining up.

I suppose that taking half their money in a divorce will have a positive effect on our balance of payments.

Recently, Ms. Sun flew to San Francisco to shop for a school for her daughter, browse for property and handle the paperwork for permanent U.S. residency.

ROTFL. Just like that, eh?! The whole article is made up BS.

These women will have a lot to learn then. In the UK women can say no.

These women will have a lot to learn then. In the UK women can say no.

Is your point that Chinese women have to do what they are told? If so it couldn't be further from the truth. Chinese women wear the trousers in most relationships and Chinese guys constantly lavish them with presents and run around after them carrying their handbags.

Also these Visa's already exist in the UK. They are called Tier 1 and they grant citizenship to anyone who buys £750k in govt bonds and £250k in property.

To be able to get many Chinese women to be interested, you would need an apartment and car and a good career etc. OK.....it might be a little like that in the UK but it's worse in China. Women are very much in the driving seat as they're a much sought after commodity due to there being millions more males than females.

Also these Visa's already exist in the UK. They are called Tier 1 and they grant citizenship to anyone who buys £750k in govt bonds and £250k in property.

Ah yes, UK property and bonds.....two of my fave pyramid schemes in a Ponzi world! :-)