House Price Crash Forum

Moving Too Fast

BandWagon

HOLA441

When I started posting on here, a mere 9 months ago, a post on the main forum would stay around for days.

Now they can drop off the front page within hours.

I think some things just need to slow down a bit, but as this crash accelerates, this site is only going to get busier.

I'd like to see some more topics, just to slow some things down a bit:

"Housing economics" perhaps, where a more serious debate on the current situation wouldn't get lost amongst the posts regarding our views on estate agents.

Perhaps another topic on the state of the economy, which we now know is in some difficulty, and only looking to get worse.

Maybe a "House Price Falls" forum, for posting validated drops in price.

And an "Anecdotes" forum, lots of us seem to like reading these, maybe they need a place of their own?

Some of these would be very useful for new members, and curious bypassers, to show what is REALLY happening out there.

This website is one of the few places on the web where the real story of the UK housing market is being told, and it's growing pains will only increase.

I'm just finding it hard to keep up with all the views on here.

What do you lot think?

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA442
HOLA443

Your ideas for sections sound good. Maybe we need the web master to create more category links on the forum's main page.

People come to the 'The main discussion forum on house prices' because they know this is the 'chatty' area where everyone is mostly, so if you want your thread read, you really HAVE to post here. Look at the number of threads that get shunted into the financial / investment sections.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I propose a new and revolutionary forum board. Im having a creative day today, so i suggest that....

The main forum page just indexes all other pages, i.e it would say

Topic: Chuz gets creative | In: Off topics forum |Last Posted: theChuz

Topic: Rising Market Condidtions | In: Main Housing Forum |Last Posted: OnlyMe

Topic: Gold prices rise again! | In: Investments in general |Last Posted: DrBubb

You could stick to one forum if you want but you can see what is happening all over th site, the newest post rearranges the Listing order.

hmm i think i have just reinvented one of the pages that already exist, its took me a while to write this though so im still posting it!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'd have posted sooner but this topic was already halfway down the page.

My vote is for The Chuz's suggestion. I trawl the other sections but they don't get much input even though the main section is often cluttered with items that are to do with house prices in a local area, etc.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I agree... I often can't read/post at work, so a post I made and replies might be on page 2 or 3 by the time I get to read again... if I can find them (the feature showing your last 10 posts is so helpful!)

I'm not sure creating multiple groups (as in FTB/STR/Bear/Bull etc) will help the feel of the site (as in people will just look/post in the area's that interest them, whereas I think having a "global" site view is important)

I think 90% posts tie in with the new blog (or what should be in it) which should be short term responses. Also there are a few anecdotes, few questions, the occasional theory and a multitude of whats happening near me posts, and the odd post about renting.

We currently have

- What are house prices doing in your area?

- All about renting

Perhaps we could split "The main discussion forum on house prices" into

- "Whats in the news" (combine with the new blog and talk about news/press releases.. quick turn around)

- "Anecdotes" (talking about personal experiences)

- "Questions and theories" (can't think of a better name) but it's a place to erm.. ask questions and talk about theories... ie stuff which isn't news or anecdotes (I hate to call it "other".. because it's not)

This would mean the news posts and responses do not flood the other posts.. which I think is what I'd like.

Just a rambling idea! :unsure:

--

Additional in reply Durch's Slashd*t comment, I'm not sure (with the greatest respect) I'd like to leave it to the mods (I'm sure they are over worked enough!). Perhaps when creating a post in "Whats in the news" (as I called it above), you should be forced to provide a URL of the news/view you are are discussing.. then if someone tries to post the same link, at least there is a chance the threads could be combined into one.

Edited by beerhunter

HOLA4416

No problem with having more forum categories but if people are going to use them then they need to appear on the one page via a "latest posts" page. People will tend to congregate with one forum but if it is done this way then they can just congregate on the latest posts page and post replies to threads from there. If they want to start a new thread then they have to go to the proper forum and put it there.

It works perfectly well on other forums so I can't see why it wouldn't work on HPC.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The issue does seem to be about the number of new threads started each day - there do seem to be a small number of posters who feel they must start a new thread rather than post on an existing thread.

I find that when I go off, most of the hot topics have dissapeared - usually within a few hours.

Some sort of restriction on starting a New thread would help far more than flood control - IMO.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Why not face facts?

The site has become flooded with chatterboxes with nothing useful to say. The same names keep posting new threads several times a day.

I have got so fed up with it I hardly ever visit the site now. (so it's not ALL bad news...)

One solution may be to restrict people to a quota of threads.

eg you can only post x numbers of new threads per week.

Newcomers get a lower rating.

HOLA4421

On Slashd*t you have to submit a new story/thread to the moderators, who post all the threads. Otherwise, you can just post a reply, so no censorship, but also no endless mindless thread repeats.

The issue does seem to be about the number of new threads started each day - there do seem to be a small number of posters who feel they must start a new thread rather than post on an existing thread.

I find that when I go off, most of the hot topics have dissapeared - usually within a few hours.

Some sort of restriction on starting a New thread would help far more than flood control - IMO.

I think only HPC Regulars and above (more than 300 posts) should be allowed to start topics in the main forum. While others must add to those topics.... or start topics in a secondary "Newby/Questions?" forum.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Before creating new forums, perhaps we could move out non relevant threads off the main forum. Here are a sample from the front page of the main forum (ignoring the pinned threads):

Gold Reaches $500/oz!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=19816

Better in: Financial markets

Gold Disbelievers Have A Look...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=20056

Better in: Financial markets

Pop! Ecb 3.5% Rate. The Pin That Pops The Irish Property Bubble?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=20078

Better in: Overseas property investment

Irish Property Mega-inflation : Opinions?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=20065

Better in: Overseas property investment

Advice Needed

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=20109

Better in: All about renting

That's 5 posts out of 25 in that relevant section.

There are also some posts that could go to the Classic Threads area and some off topic posts, but that depends on how aggressive the admins want to be.

Now I'm aware that one of the basic problems here is that there are so many posts that the admins can't keep up with them, so how about having a pinned thread in the forum "About housepricecrash.co.uk" which suggests candidates for removal. This means that us plebs can suggest those threads that are clogging up the board and the Admins don't have to hunt them down.

This will only really work if the admins (or a couple of designated Admins) check the thread quite religiously.

After that it may be an idea to then suggest other forums such as regional forums, economic analysis forums, etc.

Edited by IP Newcomer