House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Dubai Hotel Occupancy Plunges To 18-Year Lows

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-12/dubai-hotels-have-worst-monthly-occupancy-in-18-years.html

Dubai’s hotels had the lowest occupancy in at least 18 years in July, standing more than half empty, as more rooms were created and demand declined, according to research firm STR Global.

Occupancy declined 11.8 percentage points to 45.4 percent from a year earlier, STR Global said in a report dated yesterday. That’s the lowest since the company began tracking the Dubai hospitality market.

Dubai, which built some of the world’s most recognizable hotels such as the sail-shaped Burj al Arab, plans to almost double the number of hotel rooms by 2020 as it expects a surge of visitors ahead of the World Expo that year. The emirate is targeting about 160,000 rooms, many of them in the three- and four-star category rather than the luxury segment, Helal Saeed Almarri, director general of the Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing, said in March.

“As July is one of the hottest months within the region and coincides with the fasting month of Ramadan, the city had an overall negative trend, on top of growing supply,” Elizabeth Winkle, managing director of STR Global, said in the report.

Revenue per available room, an industry measure of occupancy and rates, fell 7.4 percent to 290.23 dirhams ($79) according to STR Global, which advises hotel operators, developers and banks on the hospitality industry.

Clearly more hotel rooms will help!

Cheap rooms will be good for tourism.

Pity we dont have similar probems in England with lots of new hotels being built as most the current stock are cold, drafty,damp and ridiculously expensive.

Cheap rooms houses will be good for tourism everyone except VI's.

Pity we dont have similar probems in England with lots of new hotels houses being built as most the current stock are cold, drafty,damp and ridiculously expensive.

Fixed that for you.

Suspect this is massively down to Ramadan timing: July 2014 had only 3 non-Ramadan days while July 2014 had 8 of them.

Hotel occupancy goes down for at least 3 reasons: tourists put off by food and alcohol restrictoins; business travellers put off by the super-slow pace of work and decision-making; locals staying at home / with relatives because Ramadan is family time.

Suspect this is massively down to Ramadan timing: July 2014 had only 3 non-Ramadan days while July 2014 had 8 of them.

Hotel occupancy goes down for at least 3 reasons: tourists put off by food and alcohol restrictoins; business travellers put off by the super-slow pace of work and decision-making; locals staying at home / with relatives because Ramadan is family time.

Can't see how to edit this, should have been "while July 2013 had 8"

Careful, you will let facts get in the way of opinion if you keep making posts like that.

The fact is there is now a huge divergence emerging between the bankrupt West and the solvent Middle and Far East. You might not like it, but that does not mean it is not true.

Plus, maybe more tourists have begun to realise that the Gulf is not a nice place in high summer, not unless you are planning to spend much of your holiday indoors in the air conditioning. That + Ramadan would be enough to put anyone off, I should have thought.

Plus, maybe more tourists have begun to realise that the Gulf is not a nice place in high summer, not unless you are planning to spend much of your holiday indoors in the air conditioning. That + Ramadan would be enough to put anyone off, I should have thought.

Maybe the cost of flying, lack of disposable and sky high house prices around the word is having an impact ?

Dubai bottom of places in the world to visit, too hot and artificial.

It used to be so nice, esp. in the winter. :-(. Would never want to go back now - all bling and shopping, though I suppose there's wadi- bashing and whatnot, too. But for that sort of thing Oman is infinitely more scenic anyway.

I take it you wouldn't want to go there again.

I've only ever been to the business and first class lounges at the airport :D

The first class lounge is very nice, the business class one, less so.

Looking at the place from the sky though as I landed/took off, not sure I'd select it as my holiday destination.

Oh, if only there were somewhere in the region with hundreds of thousands of refugees and homeless people that needed temporary housing. Dubai should reinvent itself as a refugee camp, and live of UN subsidies and welfare agencies.

I've only ever been to the business and first class lounges at the airport :D

The first class lounge is very nice, the business class one, less so.

Looking at the place from the sky though as I landed/took off, not sure I'd select it as my holiday destination.

You are right to be apprehensive.

There are many reasons why it's not nice for a vacation. You can't really go out for much of the summer and well into October.

Then there are the locals who would be quick to accuse you of 'moral outrage' if you give your missus a peck on the cheek.

Also they treat the Asians like utter scum.

And you are continually rubbing shoulders with UK chavs with a high disposable income.

Irish quarter is probably the least unpleasant part - but the ex-pats are a real bunch of mercenary saddos.

The business lounge was a lucky escape.

The business lounge was a lucky escape.

Good ice cream, decent wine, some dodgy pasta dishes though and you could buy your way in so the chavistocracy were all in there too.