House Price Crash Forum

Tea Garden

Steppenpig

HOLA441

This isn't going to happen, but it's been going round in my head for years, and I just want to work it out.

If say, you had an elderly relative who lived on a slightly too busy street, but with a garage with parking just across the road, and plenty of tourists in Summer, and who had a nice sized garden where you could easily put a picnic table or two, thus enabling one to provide welcome sustenance and refreshment to weary travellers in exchange for coin, while providing a little not too strenuous diversion for elderly relative, how would one go about it?

I imagine health and safety would insist on concreting over all the slippy grass, signposted neon lighted emergency exits, a new slip road, warning signs, lightning conductors, emergency storm shelters, medical tent, etc, let alone the hygiene requirements.

I guess in the old days, i would go round the council office, and try and ask someone. These days would probably google. But does anyone know what the starting point would be?

HOLA442

I've been in a few of these places. Do a basic safety check*, and take out standard third party insurance to cover any punter accidents. Provide a toilet? Then it's "get that kettle on, mother"!"

* uneven paving

* nippers chewing poisonous plants

* any projections that will tear clothes.

* provide water bowl for dogs

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

This is making me think of the little girl selling lemonade in the HSBC advert.

I suspect the Council would feel obliged to send someone round to shut it down eventually.

I'd have thought that the biggest issues would centre around hygiene more than anything else based on there not being any seating as such so it's more or less the same as a take-away van.

That, and the conversion of the front lawn to "business premises" thus rendering them eligible for business rates. Maybe. I'm just guessing.

HOLA446

Isn't there some way of getting around all the rules by having a collection tin where people can donate money to you and in return for their donation you give them a cake or a packet of crisps.

I think with anything hot or anything you make yourself - i.e. tea, coffee, burgers, sarnies, cake - you run the risk of someone suing you for burning them or giving them food poisoning. However, when I used to go to Wimbledon I noticed several of the houses nearby seemed to make a good living by putting up trestle tables in their drives and flogging cold cans, crisps, chocolate bars, etc.

HOLA447

Isn't there some way of getting around all the rules by having a collection tin where people can donate money to you and in return for their donation you give them a cake or a packet of crisps.

I think with anything hot or anything you make yourself - i.e. tea, coffee, burgers, sarnies, cake - you run the risk of someone suing you for burning them or giving them food poisoning. However, when I used to go to Wimbledon I noticed several of the houses nearby seemed to make a good living by putting up trestle tables in their drives and flogging cold cans, crisps, chocolate bars, etc.

if you lived there, you could probably do a roaring trade selling trestle tables then.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Just do it, they're unlikely to take you to court for a first offence .. Unless you kill someone.

Probably mess with your house insurance though.

Guess it comes down to how much the OP has got to lose. Guess a spilled cup of tea and a superficial skin burn could be worth a few quid these days from Accidents Direct.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Thanks for the interesting comments. Due to advancing age, it's not really realistic any more, especially as anything that caused the slightest stress, such as man from the ministry knocking on the door, would probably cause a heart attack.

Do it for free and it is the same as having friends round. A low risk enterprise.

If they are lonely then it'd be an interesting way of making new friends.

HOLA4413

To use the current hpc vogue - 'corrected for you'...

;)

XYY

That that Northern beer you have, doesn't need any more diluting! :wacko:

Archived