House Price Crash Forum

'financial Triage' To Be Offered At Food Banks

HOLA441

Anyone actually know ? If it is every time then there will be less at it.

However we all know there are a huge number of people in this country who happily sit and lie through their teeth every two weeks to get their dole money.

If they can do that for years with no shame - why would they give a flying ****** about doing the same on a regular basis to get 'emergency' food vouchers ?

Edited by ccc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Anyone actually know ? If it is every time then there will be less at it.

However we all know there are a huge number of people in this country who happily sit and lie through their teeth every two weeks to get their dole money.

If they can do that for years with no shame - why would they give a flying ****** about doing the same on a regular basis to get 'emergency' food vouchers ?

There's reputation risk. The hedge fund exec who got caught out with this didn't like the publicity: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2603676/High-flying-fund-manager-spends-five-years-dodging-rail-fares-coughs-43-000-caught.html

In fact they revealed him in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago... but a quick search and I can no longer find the article... which makes me wonder if he had his solicitor get it pulled.

Would be poor form for anyone very comfortable in their financial position, or not in real need, to exploit a foodbank. Maybe journos are undercover now; good luck to them if they catch anyone. I can't really see many people doing it.

Point being though, I'm about to see someone in their early 30s borrow £400,000 for a £500,000 flat, convinced in hpi, that prices can't crash much at all, before HPI comes back for the long term.... thinking renting is dead money, calcuating future payrises out in his head, and generally paying a price I would run away from in horror. Also thinks he's entitled to buy, as is affordable (now), and you buy when it's affordable if you can. Some here will say he's helping the economy with his heroic debt, and that he's an innocent if there's a hpc, and he ends up needing a foodbank within a month or two of a change in financial circumstance.

HOLA443
I am sure masses of people would be happy to take advantage of it for free stuff.

Just like there are masses of people who live the good life on welfare? The problem is that almost everyone making these claims are not themselves either using a food bank or living on welfare- it's always this disembodied 'other' who is doing these things- but do these 'others' actually exist in the 'masses' we think they do? Or are they a tiny minority?

Most of the large scale frauds in recent years have not emerged from the bottom of society but from the top- it's in the City of London that we see rampant criminal activity on a grand scale- for which no one has been held accountable, yet we imprison welfare cheats for sums that are trivial in comparison.

The idea that there are masses of people choosing to line up for free food or choosing to live on welfare is a myth- there are some I am sure, but they are small in number. But I guess it suits the PTB to redirect the anger of the population toward the poor, better that than they themselves should be held to account for the decades of fraud and incompetence over which they have presided.

HOLA444

Just like there are masses of people who live the good life on welfare? The problem is that almost everyone making these claims are not themselves either using a food bank or living on welfare- it's always this disembodied 'other' who is doing these things- but do these 'others' actually exist in the 'masses' we think they do? Or are they a tiny minority?

Most of the large scale frauds in recent years have not emerged from the bottom of society but from the top- it's in the City of London that we see rampant criminal activity on a grand scale- for which no one has been held accountable, yet we imprison welfare cheats for sums that are trivial in comparison.

The idea that there are masses of people choosing to line up for free food or choosing to live on welfare is a myth- there are some I am sure, but they are small in number. But I guess it suits the PTB to redirect the anger of the population toward the poor, better that than they themselves should be held to account for the decades of fraud and incompetence over which they have presided.

The problem with welfare is not the standard of living of those that get it but the standard of living of some who don't. We still have a situation where charity and benefits are sought by some and those with less benefits (even though they work) in terms of housing, food or whatever have to meet their costs. The left will never get that.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA445
The problem with welfare is not the standard of living of those that get it but the standard of living of some who don't. We still have a situation where charity and benefits are sought by some and those with less benefits (even though they work) in terms of housing, food or whatever have to meet their costs. The left will never get that.

In a fair system the burden of welfare costs would be borne by those most able to pay- in reality those with the most resources have the resources to hide those resources from taxation, which means the burden instead falls on those less able to bear them.

So is the solution to abandon the people who need the welfare or is it to ensure that those who could afford to pay more do pay more?

The same UK government that insists that it can no longer afford it's welfare bill allows tax havens to operate inside territories it controls thus facilitating the very funding shortage it complains about.

There is currently roughly 32 Trillion dollars 'hidden' in offshore accounts;

More than two million emails that shed light on the biggest tax dodge in history - trillions of dollars hidden in offshore accounts - have been uncovered by the British newspaper The Guardian and the Washington, D.C.-based International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).

Some $32 trillion has been hidden in small island banking hubs which host a bevy of trust funds, shell corporations and other tax havens, the Tax Justice Network estimates.

http://moneymorning.com/2013/05/01/check-out-whos-hiding-32-trillion-in-offshore-accounts/

Now ask yourself a question- How can a thing be hidden if that things existence utterly depends on the fact that it is not hidden?

For example- you claim to have a trillion pounds in a bank account somewhere- but no record exists of that account inside the system, and the system has no awareness whatsoever of that trillion pounds you claim to have- would you be able to spend that money?

I don't think you would- because if your trillion pounds did not exist in the memory of the system it would not exist at all.

So there is no hidden money, there is only money that the system itself chooses not to find.

HOLA446

Do people take a free gift - that they know they don't actually need - for simply filling in a form ?

We all know the answer.

Not saying all at food banks are at it - of course not - but I guarantee there are a fair few.

I know you have to get referred via some sort of wee interview - the question is though - how long does that referral last for ? I doubt very much they gave to be referred every single time.

And if not - I am sure masses of people would be happy to take advantage of it for free stuff.

So I take it then that you use a foodbank then? Getting all that free stuff......

or is that your argument doesn't hold up and is a load of nonsense?

HOLA447