OnionTerror

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Thanks.. Another line I can add to the griefests on faceache!!

More details from Wikipedia:

Milligan was found dead in his flat in Black Lion Lane, Hammersmith, London, by his secretary Vera Taggart on 7 February 1994.[1][5] His corpse – naked except for a pair of stockings and suspenders, with a black bin liner tied over its head[6] – was discovered in what was presumed to be a state of autoerotic asphyxiation, combined with self-bondage. A detail of his death, which was the subject of much comment and speculation at the time, was that he was found to have had an orange segment in his mouth at the time of his death. The coroner concluded that he had died in the early hours of 7 February.[7

HOLA445

I recall the case well. Up until 1990 I used to work for LBHF and was often out and about in that part of Hammersmith down by the Thames, there were quite a few celebs, newsreaders and politico's lived down there.

Couple of nice pubs down there as well, tucked away from everything you would have to know there were there.

HOLA446

He was brilliant, obviously, although his working of the same old routines into every bit of "spontaneous" improv got tiresome for me at least (viz. "I'm mellltttinggg!"). One of the last things I saw him in was as a depressed comic in Louie (S03E06), reminiscing about another bitter and depressed comic... seemed close to the bone at the time and I did wonder if he was as depressed as he seemed (in half-character).

Dead Poets Society was probably my favourite role of his.

Oh Captain, my Captain!

Favourite film of mine. Good Will Hunting is pretty powerful too.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

You would think that at 63 he would be past that but clearly the demons never go away.

If you get to that age, some of the old demons start handing over to new ones. You've had more time to experience loss, bits of your body start packing up, the drives and ambitions that pre-occupied your youth don't seem quite so important any more.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few celebs who voluntary checked-out in their early to mid 60s. George Sanders and Kenneth Williams (maybe) are the first that come to my mind. They both made it pretty clear they'd reached a point where they couldn't be bothered with their continued existence and, from their perspective, the b@ll ache it had become.

Suicide is arguably an occupational hazard of being a good comedian. If you preoccupy yourself with observing fellow human beings and commenting on their absurdities it could easily take its toll. Though my vote will always go for characters like George Carlin who didn't deliberately off himself but was content with being a detached, jaded old f*ck instead.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Why this link between depression and comedians?....is it because they are forever trying to cover up what they are really feeling inside? :mellow:

Most comedians aren't as funny as The Pin! A bit like accountants that can't add up!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

People expected him to be Robin Williams wherever he went - that must have been a toll and, I suspect, he was such a nice guy that he didn't want to disappoint.

I listened to an interview he gave off the cuff at a baseball game in NY when a BBC presenter bumped into him. The BBC guy was clearly over the moon and RW was just too polite to turn him down... so he gave the interview but also quietly hinted that he was just there to watch the game... but the interviewer continued and RW was obviously too polite to say "Leave me alone!".

That kind of thing must have been a burden after decades of it.

There is a video on youtube with US servicemen somewhere in Iraq or Afghanistan having their photos taken with him. Some journo interrupts by asking a question and he politely answers the question. When he had finished he turns back to the soldiers to ask them if they got the photos they wanted with him. A lot of celebs would have forgotten about that - just too nice a guy.

HOLA4415

Mr Williams was also "The Cadillac Man" in a film once, where he tried to sell a new hearse to people that had mechanical problems going to a funeral! I think jokes are funnier than my bank statement! :blink:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Favourite film of mine. Good Will Hunting is pretty powerful too.

The Fisher King is one of my favourites. I actually cried, and that doesn't happen very often.

HOLA4419

Milligan on Hancock...

Very difficult man to get on with. He used to drink excessively. You felt sorry for him. He ended up on his own. I thought, he's got rid of everybody else, he's going to get rid of himself. And he did. He phoned me up from Australia the night before he died. He said, It's wonderful here. I could hear he was smashed out of his mind. He said, I've got a great series coming up, you must see it. The next morning he was dead.

HOLA4420

The Fisher King is one of my favourites. I actually cried, and that doesn't happen very often.

You hurd blurke!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived