House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

New Album Out

drat, I should have had a nom de plume

Congratulations though. Always good.

and the story behind the image ?

Cheers.

Frog painted by the keyboard player. Good innit?

He's called Ian.

The frog that is, not the keyboard player...

Cheers.

Frog painted by the keyboard player. Good innit?

He's called Ian.

The frog that is, not the keyboard player...

Yes I like him - the frog that is, not the keyboard player who might be likeable or might be not - dilemmas

Blimey!

Thanks a bunch.

Have a virtual pint.

No problem, always happy to support people in their endeavours, especially here.

For some reason it gave me £2 off? So only cost marginally more than a pint of beer in London, will no doubt last much longer.

No problem, always happy to support people in their endeavours, especially here.

For some reason it gave me £2 off? So only cost marginally more than a pint of beer in London, will no doubt last much longer.

That's a bit strange. I used this new forwarding company called Distrokid.

They seem to have made the process low cost and simple.

Its on all the other platforms too. Hope you like it.

Cheers again.

When I saw the thread title I thought "that makes it sound like your album"

And, er, it is..

Bought it on iTunes.

Not necessarily my sort of thing, but happy to support..

Gosh, you are a real musician, not a bedroom poser like me! :blink:

It really isn't my genre but I've sat here browsing and played it all the way through. Ordinarily I would probably hear a few tracks and turn it off ("not for me") but it is rather good.

Is this your first commercial release? when is the tour.. :)

Not necessarily my sort of thing, but happy to support..

Ditto. Bought it and went straight to track 10, but with my crap hearing couldn't quite discern the words. Jangly rock ain't my scene anyway.

However- the Amazon player then went on to track 11, Endless Beaches, which is a lovely song, I really like it. Really professional production as well. Liked track 12 as well. So basically a cracking effort mate, and if you're the guitarist, then you're very good! :)

I know absolutely nothing about the music biz, dunno if you're doing fine for airplay and bookings etc. or if this was an entirely self funded effort and you're hoping for the best. Through sheer random circumstance my wife is good friends with a bloke who makes a living putting on pub bands in South / South East London (and doing pub quizzes), and on the other side of my family, my step-mother's sister's husband has apparently, since I last saw him, jacked in teaching and become a successful record plugger. I'd be happy to pass your info along to one or both of them, PM me if you're interested.

It really isn't my genre but I've sat here browsing and played it all the way through. Ordinarily I would probably hear a few tracks and turn it off ("not for me") but it is rather good.

Is this your first commercial release? when is the tour.. :)

Crikey! Thats great to hear. Thanks for that.

Ive lived with these tunes for about 3 or4 years so its hard to listen thru fresh ears at the moment.

We did a single with Acid Jazz last year, which was the other version of Fahrenheit. I prefer the one on the album anyway.

In so doing i had to hand over ownership of a song that i wrote, recorded and paid for, to someone to exploit on my behalf.

I'm still not comfortable with the way that works. Not had a bean out of it either.

There are several other vinyl releases going back to 1988! We did a couple of vinyl singles in the early Noughties too. Though they were all lowish budget affairs. We did record with Liam Watson before he got involved with the White Stripes though. That was a whole bunch of smoke and mirrors let me tell you.

So this really is "the record we always threatened to make".

Cost about £4k to record with all the brass and whatnot, and also with a top notch producer Pat Collier who produced Walking On Sunshine as well as countless indie "hits". Wonder Stuff etc.

Touring wise, if something moderately substantial was offered, by that i mean decent gigs that paid a bit, i guess we could go for it again.

Though the band has distilled down to just me and the keyboard player now, we do have the inestimable services of John O'Neil, current sax player for Madness, who is an old friend. So the brass section could be slapped together quick enough.

I won't bore you with the usual band politics stuff but let me tell you, just about every cliche in the book applies to this little combo....

Cheers again.

Here's some history:

http://www.discogs.com/Dilemmas-And-On-The-Conveyor-Belt-Tonight/release/3104987

http://www.discogs.com/artist/1026989-Dilemmas-The

Ditto. Bought it and went straight to track 10, but with my crap hearing couldn't quite discern the words. Jangly rock ain't my scene anyway.

However- the Amazon player then went on to track 11, Endless Beaches, which is a lovely song, I really like it. Really professional production as well. Liked track 12 as well. So basically a cracking effort mate, and if you're the guitarist, then you're very good! :)

I know absolutely nothing about the music biz, dunno if you're doing fine for airplay and bookings etc. or if this was an entirely self funded effort and you're hoping for the best. Through sheer random circumstance my wife is good friends with a bloke who makes a living putting on pub bands in South / South East London (and doing pub quizzes), and on the other side of my family, my step-mother's sister's husband has apparently, since I last saw him, jacked in teaching and become a successful record plugger. I'd be happy to pass your info along to one or both of them, PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Mr Rave!Nice to wake up to some good feedback.

Yes i did all the guitar, wrote the words and tunes and the brass melodies, sang (most) of the tunes.

Plenty of help from the keyboard player (who painted the cover art). Though we didn't know at the time that it would end up as such.

Its slightly encouraging that we've got 2 non jangly pop types keen on it.

If i'm honest i find Crack Up Boom the hardest to "get through" i think we mixed the wallop out of it. Not over keen on my vocals on it either.

But there it is.

Its been around so long that the line "one eyed anti midas touch" is a bit out of date!! Needs a rewrite! :)

PM on its way!

Cheers again.

Crikey! Thats great to hear. Thanks for that.

Ive lived with these tunes for about 3 or4 years so its hard to listen thru fresh ears at the moment.

We did a single with Acid Jazz last year, which was the other version of Fahrenheit. I prefer the one on the album anyway.

In so doing i had to hand over ownership of a song that i wrote, recorded and paid for, to someone to exploit on my behalf.

I'm still not comfortable with the way that works. Not had a bean out of it either.

There are several other vinyl releases going back to 1988! We did a couple of vinyl singles in the early Noughties too. Though they were all lowish budget affairs. We did record with Liam Watson before he got involved with the White Stripes though. That was a whole bunch of smoke and mirrors let me tell you.

So this really is "the record we always threatened to make".

Cost about £4k to record with all the brass and whatnot, and also with a top notch producer Pat Collier who produced Walking On Sunshine as well as countless indie "hits". Wonder Stuff etc.

Touring wise, if something moderately substantial was offered, by that i mean decent gigs that paid a bit, i guess we could go for it again.

Though the band has distilled down to just me and the keyboard player now, we do have the inestimable services of John O'Neil, current sax player for Madness, who is an old friend. So the brass section could be slapped together quick enough.

I won't bore you with the usual band politics stuff but let me tell you, just about every cliche in the book applies to this little combo....

Cheers again.

Here's some history:

http://www.discogs.com/Dilemmas-And-On-The-Conveyor-Belt-Tonight/release/3104987

http://www.discogs.com/artist/1026989-Dilemmas-The

I have it playing now. If you've read any of my stuff you'll know I am into dance music. Not exclusively, but mainly.

I ask purely out of interest since I am doing a website for an Italian DJ and producer and it intrigues me - IIRC the album was something like eight quid from iTunes. I guess you only see a fraction of that. Not bring nosey as such, (hmmm... Actually, I probably am) but how does one make a living from this?

It's not often you get contact with someone doing this. I guess she supplements her income from previous big tunes in the 90s that many would recall, and DJ sets at Italian clubs, some big ones too.

You'll have me listening to the Smiths and the Cure next :)

I do recall a song called "Horse with no name" which I recall on one of your tracks.

I have it playing now. If you've read any of my stuff you'll know I am into dance music. Not exclusively, but mainly.

I ask purely out of interest since I am doing a website for an Italian DJ and producer and it intrigues me - IIRC the album was something like eight quid from iTunes. I guess you only see a fraction of that. Not bring nosey as such, (hmmm... Actually, I probably am) but how does one make a living from this?

It's not often you get contact with someone doing this. I guess she supplements her income from previous big tunes in the 90s that many would recall, and DJ sets at Italian clubs, some big ones too.

You'll have me listening to the Smiths and the Cure next :)

I do recall a song called "Horse with no name" which I recall on one of your tracks.

One doesnt make a living from it unf.

It cost about £4500 to record over about 3 years. I'll be chuffed with a few hundred back.

I was earning OK at the time, and decided to fulfill an ambition to record with Pat Collier who produced a lot of my favourite stuff over the years. 35 years ago he was charging £300 a day, and because of studios being more home based, that's all he can charge today.

Still plenty, but relative to my earnings as opposed to 1987, a positive bargain!

I wont know what the take up has been until October as Distrokid, the aggregators i used, take 2 months to account for sales. I don't get the real time info. However,apart from a one off fee, Distrokid don't take anymore out of it.

So i should see a fair amount of any actual sales.

I paid them about $30 to up sell 2 different acts, for a year. The Dilemmas, and whatever nomenclature i should choose for the next project. As far as i can see Distrokid are the best out there for no frills access to the online markets.

CD Baby Reverbnation Bandcamp etc are all a bit grabby and more expensive in the first instance.

What Distrokid dont provide is any publicity space or hosting. I refuse to engage with Facebook so dont really have a platform for that. I'm hoping the inclusion of the female vocal track will assist sales as she (Fay Hallam) has had more of a profile than my band over the years.

I guess you're referring to Endless Beaches with the Horse With No Name reference. I'll take that anyday!

Your continued interest is much appreciated btw.

Cheers.