House Price Crash Forum

Slavish Politicans Are Robbing My Generation To Appease Older Voters

normdiploom

HOLA441

Interesting article...and predictable comments!

The dependency that politicians have on the grey vote is disincentivising young people to involve themselves in politics, entrenching generations into a political vacuum and leading to the advancement of disadvantageous policy for our country. The majority of legislation is drawn up with older people in mind, whether that be on welfare, housing, immigration or our public healthcare service.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/08/joe-armitage-slavish-politicans-are-robbing-my-generation-to-appease-older-voters.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Off topic but these are the same politicians that supported ISIS a few months ago only for Putin to stop them.

The fact they wanted to arm these evil murderers and get Britishmen to fight alongside them shows how out of touch and clueless they are.

Why would these corrupt incompetents who believe they were born to rule care less if a house is unaffordable to 10-20 million under 40s.

All the people on that webforum who vote Tory are brainless fools who deserve to be priced out of the property market, or to end up in a crooked nursing home.

HOLA443
HOLA444

All the people on that webforum who vote Tory are brainless fools who deserve to be priced out of the property market, or to end up in a crooked nursing home.

Yes of course the Tories are different to Lib or Lab. FFS! Who bailed out the banks and let lending and prices run rampant.

No f'g difference!!!

HOLA445

I don't think there's much point in these generalised intergenerational injustice moans. Better to pick specific policies that you want to see implemented/abolished and focus on pointing out the specific injustice you want to see changed e.g. national insurance meaning there is a higher tax rate on workers than on pensioners with the same income.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA446
HOLA447

The comments are full of 'I paid in all my life', 'the younger generation has a sense of entitlement', and 'they should go out and work like we did'.

The justifications people make to themselves for their good fortune make me sick. No-one over 45 has had as much of a struggle to house themselves as I have - there were several points during their lifetimes when houses were within reach of ordinary people. Many of them have very nice homes paid for with a single salary. Sure they had other struggles, but they just seem incapable of imagining the situation now.

And if they can imagine some of it, they try and find some 'reason' that younger people are struggling, other than 'you voted in politicians who for twenty years have sold the country down the river'. The old 'stop buying iPads' argument. I could buy an iPad every month for a year and I still wouldn't have spent a fifth of a house deposit.

I've been talking to other people in my age group, people in the same situation. They're all at the stage where they're ready to start families - but they don't have anywhere to put the kids. They've really reached the end of the line as far as struggling along and waiting for things to change. The majority of them have life plans which involve risking it all on a business of their own, as there's no future in 'just' working for a normal salary any more. There may yet be a mass exodus Northwards, to try and chase uninflected house prices.

It's not just the obsessives on here who have identified the problems. People are living them. I honestly think a lot of people are waiting for the election, to see if something might give.

HOLA448

Yes of course the Tories are different to Lib or Lab. FFS! Who bailed out the banks and let lending and prices run rampant.

No f'g difference!!!

Anyone who votes for Labour or Conservative or worse still joins the f'en party and expects them to do the right thing and create policies that will allow housing to become affordable to working people is not very bright.

Also Tory voting boomers who can't admit to themselves they've been dealt a fantastic hand and claim theyve paid tax for part if their lives thus are"entitled" to endless sums of money are parasitic scum.

HOLA449

Off topic but these are the same politicians that supported ISIS a few months ago only for Putin to stop them.

The fact they wanted to arm these evil murderers and get Britishmen to fight alongside them shows how out of touch and clueless they are.

Why would these corrupt incompetents who believe they were born to rule care less if a house is unaffordable to 10-20 million under 40s.

You have a short memory. The 'Arab Spring' protesters were patently not affiliated to radical terrorists. They were unarmed protesters massacred by Putin's puppet Assad.

Whilst the 'West' is culpable for the spread of I.S. into Iraq the only people to blame for I.S. in Siria is Assad and Putin.

HOLA4410

You have a short memory. The 'Arab Spring' protesters were patently not affiliated to radical terrorists. They were unarmed protesters massacred by Putin's puppet Assad.

Whilst the 'West' is culpable for the spread of I.S. into Iraq the only people to blame for I.S. in Siria is Assad and Putin.

And you seriously believe they went from freedom loving unarmed protesters to genocidal mass murderers who chop peoples heads off due to Assad.

Yep must be Putins fault.

Read up on the history of these people and who they like to connect themselves with before commenting.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

'the average person lived four years in retirement (post Beveridge), it's now well over a decade

I guess the author must either be counting those that never got to retirement or he is taking a wild guess. Life expectancy in the UK once 65 has been achieved is actually 86, not to be confused with life expectancy at birth. Furthermore, currently a further year is being added for every two that go by.

Just thought the claimed decade and a bit seemed a bit short (until I consulted ONS), but then he is unlikely to know many old people.

I agree with his article, but the demographic time bomb is a bit worse than he realises adding in a further decade of retirement.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Oh dear. That's just so diametrically opposed to history ...

I'm sure many of the "Arab spring" protestors were indeed peaceful and innocent. In normal circumstances they'd have rapidly gone away - like in the much-more-repressive Bahrain. Or like rioters in English cities a couple of years ago.

But they were useful tools to the Western agents provocateurs who wanted to depose Assad (who was incidentally one of the Arab world's more liberal rulers, with western values like religious diversity and tolerance, and womens rights - hence efforts like the "gay girl" blog to undermine liberal values and tolerance). Those who took up arms and joined the terrorists were (are) what's customarily known as useful idiots.

Cui Bono?

HOLA4415

God those comments are depressing. Going by the vast bulk of them, the average Tory boomer there thinks they are a part of a master race compared to that unfortunate gen y Tory activist and op. little did he know, but it was all his fault!

True

Did 14 years in opposition have no positive effect?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It is very easy to get wound up about the status quo.

However, our top heavy population is constantly aging, and death is a certainty.

The amount of older people dying and freeing up housing will soon start to exceed the amount of people entering the local working age population, this is already the case in some places and has been for a prolonged period of time.

Rural emigration is one example of this. Another example is emigration from the North to London, particularly in the old coal mining towns.

Only widespread demolition combined with immigraton will be able to prop up house prices across the majority of the UK in the coming decades.

The other day I was watching Location Location Location and the feelings I felt were of pity, and shame on behalf of the 'income rich' families down South living in housing poverty. I definitely did not envy them.

Families with £600 000 to spunk on a dwelling were buying properties that had been carved up into flats, without enough bedrooms etc. to raise a family.
Another couple had £350 000 to spunk on a dwelling, they were only just able to buy an ex council house. It would be difficult to describe the properties as homes.

I moved to Barnsley quite a few years ago, the quality of life here is much better. Even though drug use is quite widespread, there is less crime that affects others (e.g. theft, violence etc.).

If employed on minimum wage, one can secure a house (you can do this on the dole too actually, with a little sacrifice), couples can have their own properties, often nearby or even nextdoor to each other. You can get an allotment, you can have a property with a garden, you can visit the pub, you can do all of this without falling into debt, and whilst working for the lowest legal wage or even on the dole, and there are jobs, maybe not enough for all and not the best paid, but there is employment for most who want it.

People are so blinded by numerical wages that they fail to see the value of them.

People are so obsessed by house prices that they fail to see the value of the houses.

I mentioned on here before how I visited a bird in Esher, and how I detested the place, the quality of life for many there being poor. With unemployment in Barnsley being much preferable to an above average wage job down there.

Don't get too wound up about the old people hoarding all the good stuff. They are going to die soon anyway, and it will all be up for grabs. When looking for a place to live, consider the proportion of old people and the proportion of young people. Move to where the population will fall if you want good housing and access to land in the future.

HOLA4420

However, our top heavy population is constantly aging, and death is a certainty.

The amount of older people dying and freeing up housing will soon start to exceed the amount of people entering the local working age population, this is already the case in some places and has been for a prolonged period of time.

Rural emigration is one example of this. Another example is emigration from the North to London, particularly in the old coal mining towns.

Only widespread demolition combined with immigraton will be able to prop up house prices across the majority of the UK in the coming decades.

The other day I was watching Location Location Location and the feelings I felt were of pity, and shame on behalf of the 'income rich' families down South living in housing poverty. I definitely did not envy them.

Families with £600 000 to spunk on a dwelling were buying properties that had been carved up into flats, without enough bedrooms etc. to raise a family.

Another couple had £350 000 to spunk on a dwelling, they were only just able to buy an ex council house. It would be difficult to describe the properties as homes.

I moved to Barnsley quite a few years ago, the quality of life here is much better. Even though drug use is quite widespread, there is less crime that affects others (e.g. theft, violence etc.).

If employed on minimum wage, one can secure a house (you can do this on the dole too actually, with a little sacrifice), couples can have their own properties, often nearby or even nextdoor to each other. You can get an allotment, you can have a property with a garden, you can visit the pub, you can do all of this without falling into debt, and whilst working for the lowest legal wage or even on the dole, and there are jobs, maybe not enough for all and not the best paid, but there is employment for most who want it.

People are so blinded by numerical wages that they fail to see the value of them.

People are so obsessed by house prices that they fail to see the value of the houses.

I mentioned on here before how I visited a bird in Esher, and how I detested the place, the quality of life for many there being poor. With unemployment in Barnsley being much preferable to an above average wage job down there.

Don't get too wound up about the old people hoarding all the good stuff. They are going to die soon anyway, and it will all be up for grabs. When looking for a place to live, consider the proportion of old people and the proportion of young people. Move to where the population will fall if you want good housing and access to land in the future.

Its going to take at least 2 decades for the Boomers to work their way out of the system and have their grip prised from the UK. Many cannot wait that long, even if we all have to work until we drop.

HOLA4421

The ironic thing is ... I could have written exactly the same headline back in the 1980s.

It's a long-term state, though I expect it retreats a little in times when the youth come to fore, as in the '60s hippies and the '90s gap-year generations.

Late 80s? Where conditions were favourable to allow hpc, for a surge in younger people coming through and holding more important positions in the economy, muc more willing to see hpc, so as to upsize at much better value. On houses owned by older owners, valued down and down by lower prices paid for similar houses.

Let's see what happens when there are fewer willing/able buyers in the market, to meet asking prices of their houses. Only way I can see things rebalancing. I'm doing my part. Buyers' strike.

HOLA4422

The daily hate chimes in;

Tidbits for those who'd rather not read their trash.

Z-genners are all billionaires, apparently.

Their 'baby boomer' parents had to slog their guts out, they just invent an app and sell it for millions

They forsake university because theyre setting up businesses instead (not because it means 50k of debt, minimum) :rolleyes:

Just like every inner city minority kid the generation before also went on to become a millionaire footballer, too, I presume. :rolleyes:

HOLA4423

True, but the Gen-Xers, aside from the older ones and the ones who got a house ASAFP, are proper fecked at this point no matter what, it seems to me.

HOLA4424

Places full of olds with a lack of young people filling the void happens for 2 reasons:

1) it is a retirement town, near the seaside etc.

2) it is a place in structural decline and people got trapped, no ability to leave (negative equity) and no opportunities for younger people to want to move there

That makes it hard to follow your strategy but NOT impossible.

Its going to take at least 2 decades for the Boomers to work their way out of the system and have their grip prised from the UK. Many cannot wait that long, even if we all have to work until we drop.

Bang on.

Arguably the demographic structural trends leading to a tighter market for housing (tighter supply and demand, higher prices) will be as strong if not stronger for the next 20 years than the last 20 years.

http://populationpyramid.net/united-kingdom/2035/

What will break the market this time is that affordability is very VERY stretched and credit conditions are very VERY loose so it is most likely that the credit cycle moves against it, underlying shortage of good property will not disappear without serious supply side reforms.

HOLA4425