House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Living Legends

Applauding the great (older) stars while they're still around to (possibly) read it.

My choice: Barry Cryer

Writer and facilitator of so much of the funniest comedy of the last forty years.

Still got it and delivering on ISIHAC and Count Arthur Strong.

Very funny, generous with his talent, and likes a drink too

Your nominations please.

Muhammad Ali, Paul McCartney, David Frost, Mick Jagger, Pele.

On the general theme it's difficult to see where the next crop of living legends is coming from. I can't see anyone that will have achieved that status when I'm in my dotage. I was watching an old Parkie interview with Robert Redford on BBC 2 last week and his eloquence and manner in front of the camera made me realise just how far we've fallen as a society in such a short space of time, at least intellectually. Modern actors and celebrities tend to just jabber and talk almost in staccato. Short clipped sentences that don't say anything. It sounds weird compared to how people used to speak. The Armstrong and Miller sketch where they put modern language into old war film type scenes really captures it.

Muhammad Ali, Paul McCartney, David Frost, Mick Jagger, Pele.

On the general theme it's difficult to see where the next crop of living legends is coming from. I can't see anyone that will have achieved that status when I'm in my dotage. I was watching an old Parkie interview with Robert Redford on BBC 2 last week and his eloquence and manner in front of the camera made me realise just how far we've fallen as a society in such a short space of time, at least intellectually. Modern actors and celebrities tend to just jabber and talk almost in staccato. Short clipped sentences that don't say anything. It sounds weird compared to how people used to speak. The Armstrong and Miller sketch where they put modern language into old war film type scenes really captures it.

Sorry to be the one to break this to you but David Frost died, a year ago.

But I agree with you. Do we have any serious chat shows? Or will we being seeing clips of Wossy/Norton/Carr in 40 years time? Heaven help us.

Sorry to be the one to break this to you but David Frost died, a year ago.

But I agree with you. Do we have any serious chat shows? Or will we being seeing clips of Wossy/Norton/Carr in 40 years time? Heaven help us.

Frost is dead? :o

How did I miss tha one? :huh:

Edit: I actually meant Redford's eloquence and manner, I could have listened to him all day. But the same goes for Parky and Frost in his pomp. A few months back I saw an old interview with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in the same slot (saturday afternoon about 2pm) and it was outrageously good - those guys could talk.

I guess one thing to say is that wisdom often comes with age so, of course, older stars are going to sound better than younger ones in this respect. Partly there's also giving them the opportunity to demonstrate it through interviews etc.

I can imagine DeCaprio, Depp, Pitt and even Jolie being able to give a good account of themselves in their later years - maybe even now given the right platform.

In music terms, Madonna is very nearly there I'd suggest in terms of living legend status. A enormously long career at very nearly the top for much of it which has required regular reinvention and tapping into/creating new developments.

I'd add chuck berry and ginger baker to the musical living legends list, even though both are shadows of their former selves.

What a lot of entertainers devaluing the title.

Just thinking about it, shouldn't Vera Lynn top any of those entertainers by a mile? For being who she was, and when.

Perhaps I could nominate some folks with brains, like John Conway or Stephen Hawking? Or new-generation philanthropists like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett? Or visionary do-ers like Richard Stallman?

Mr Pin.

Legendary mild irritant and skilled user of emoticons.

XYY

I dunno! I do not have a happy or very emotive face! One lady at a party just said " pull the plug on the cyborg! I'm scared", then I broke the toilet! The water went through the kitchen ceiling, and put out the lights! I had broken the toilet!

What a lot of entertainers devaluing the title.

Just thinking about it, shouldn't Vera Lynn top any of those entertainers by a mile? For being who she was, and when.

Perhaps I could nominate some folks with brains, like John Conway or Stephen Hawking? Or new-generation philanthropists like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett? Or visionary do-ers like Richard Stallman?

If we're including businessmen, I'd go for Jeff Bezos (much as I hate what he's doing, and he may still lose it all, he's changed the way people treat books) and Amancio Ortega. I'd include Steve Jobs as well,but unfortunately he's no longer with us.

Edit. Also Florentino Perez. so many people hate/envy him, and want him to fail, both in his construction business and at Real Madrid - still the world's biggest earning football club.

but, but you forgot the coolest guy on the planet - David Bowie (IMO)

I watched a recently unearthed TOTP clip last night of him in his glam rock prime doing Jean Genie.

I did wonder what it must feel like for Bowie watching yourself from forty years ago.

Warren Buffett. Still living in the modest house in Omaha he bought in the 1950's (and he only bought it to please his wife).

His career has been spent making billions, while not spending it himself, and now he is giving it away to well selected charities.