House Price Crash Forum

Things That Are Always 30-50 Years Away...

Trampa501

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Running out of oil, well that's what they told us at school in the 90's.

I had a big popular science book in the early 80s that included a chart saying when everything (oil, uranium, copper etc.) was going to run out.

Needless to say it was pretty much all going to be mined out by 2010 bar maybe iron and coal.

Yet here we are.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Running out of oil, well that's what they told us at school in the 90's.

They told me that in the 1970s too. Out of oil by the end of the century. That was going to be a proper b'stard as the globe was cooling due to air pollution. I wish I had kept the lecture notes as it would be a proper hoot to read them now.

HOLA447

They told me that in the 1970s too. Out of oil by the end of the century. That was going to be a proper b'stard as the globe was cooling due to air pollution. I wish I had kept the lecture notes as it would be a proper hoot to read them now.

The running out of resources is an interesting question, the main failing in the imagination is the mind set that we will keep on using x rather than just just use y when x gets too expensive.

My father was a metallurgist who worked for RTZ he always pointed out that most metals we worry about (a good example is indium used in touch screens and very scarce) are by products of the extraction of other metals. There is no mining industry for indium- It is chemically related to tin and hence a byproduct of Tin production. So it's production rate is governed entirely by the demand for tin not its cost in itself.

Those who are interested would do well to read about the nelson bunker hunt and his brother (Texas billionaires) who attempted to buy the entire worlds supply of silver in the 80's and failed spectacularly - mainly because it turned out there was a hell of a lot more silver out there than anyone imagined...

Archived