House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Mobile- Google Navigation Nonsense

Google navigation (now I think in Maps) includes the note that it is in beta. My experience is that the route navigation is utterly dire. Sometimes it will command illegal turns (no right turn on sign but google says turn right). Also it struggled on elevated overpass sections and with re-calculating new routes. Occasionally it would also incorrectly identify the roundabout exit.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with smartphone navigation?

Been trying to use it today...It would often navigate to a random road a few miles away, and you would need to constantly refresh the screen so that it would reroute..

A few hundred years ago, some bloke from Middlesbrough - aye, friggin' Middlesbrough - got all the way to Australia without a satnav.

And you spazzies continue to get lost even with your Tom-Toms.

You really couldn't make this shit up...

XYY

Google navigation (now I think in Maps) includes the note that it is in beta. My experience is that the route navigation is utterly dire. Sometimes it will command illegal turns (no right turn on sign but google says turn right). Also it struggled on elevated overpass sections and with re-calculating new routes. Occasionally it would also incorrectly identify the roundabout exit.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with smartphone navigation?

There's nothing wrong with smart phone navigation per se. It depends on what software package you use. Try Sygic, they have a 55% summer sale on at the moment.

https://www.sygic.com/en

A few hundred years ago, some bloke from Middlesbrough - aye, friggin' Middlesbrough - got all the way to Australia without a satnav.

XYY

It probably took him 100 years to get there.

Co-pilot works good. A tad confused about the numerous different versions available on smartphones.

They started selling a Welsh version only in Wales which is a b*gger when 90% of the population only speak English... No doubt the Taffia love it.

And you spazzies continue to get lost even with your Tom-Toms.

You really couldn't make this shit up...

XYY

Do you actually drive? Catch a lift on a carrier pigeon perhaps?

Do you actually drive? Catch a lift on a carrier pigeon perhaps?

Aye, I drive Dave.

And in the not too-distant past, I've been a mobile service engineer covering an area from the Scottish borders to Birmingham.

AA book of the road, common-sense and 'A to Zeds'

Satnavs deliver crap for big bucks to fools who surrender their power to a plastic box that tells them where to go.

Deserve all you get the friggin' lot of yer...

XYY

I have a nexus 5 phone with the google gizmo on it and it works reasonable well.

Its gets confused occasionally on elevated sections but only because there is usually an secondary road under the elevation and the GPS part cannot determine exactly what road you are on. It can sometimes lapse if it loses the 3/4g data signal and has no map to display.

I rarely use it for navigation as I always look at a route on a map and then plot it by road numbers/junctions ect in my head or written down if particularly complicated. The satnav element is handy for giving time to destination and flagging up those pesky speed traps.

Off for a road drive across Europe next Month so I need to swot up on how to download the maps into the device so I can avoid expensive Euro data charges.

Aye, I drive Dave.

And in the not too-distant past, I've been a mobile service engineer covering an area from the Scottish borders to Birmingham.

AA book of the road, common-sense and 'A to Zeds'

Satnavs deliver crap for big bucks to fools who surrender their power to a plastic box that tells them where to go.

Deserve all you get the friggin' lot of yer...

XYY

I also do a fair bit of driving, especially rural roads, and sat navs can save so much effing and jeffing...They often aren't exact, but they bloody well help... Today, I was navigating to a lane off a village near Marlborough. It would have taken until the end of time if I had stopped every two and half minutes for instructions. My Google Maps ran on GPS, and luckily there was signal.

Trouble with A to Zeds is that you often have to stop in a layby or pull in, if your not sure where you're going. Not the easiest if your in a town or city centre.

I also do a fair bit of driving, especially rural roads, and sat navs can save so much effing and jeffing...They often aren't exact, but they bloody well help... Today, I was navigating to a lane off a village near Marlborough. It would have taken until the end of time if I had stopped every two and half minutes for instructions. My Google Maps ran on GPS, and luckily there was signal.

Trouble with A to Zeds is that you often have to stop in a layby or pull in, if your not sure where you're going. Not the easiest if your in a town or city centre.

Biggest problem I had with A to Zeds was one-way streets. :)

Agreed that a satnav is the most efficient way to pull you into your destination when you're nearby, but I know people these days who use them to get them to the next town from where they live.

I had to travel from Peterlee to a hotel in Solihull last week with a younger colleague who I pressed-ganged into doing the driving - and his total reliance on that piece of plastic freaked me out so much I almost begged him to let me take the wheel.

Sometimes winding down the window and asking for directions is still - if not the most efficient - perhaps the more human way...

:)

XYY

Biggest problem I had with A to Zeds was one-way streets. :)

Agreed that a satnav is the most efficient way to pull you into your destination when you're nearby, but I know people these days who use them to get them to the next town from where they live.

I had to travel from Peterlee to a hotel in Solihull last week with a younger colleague who I pressed-ganged into doing the driving - and his total reliance on that piece of plastic freaked me out so much I almost begged him to let me take the wheel.

Sometimes winding down the window and asking for directions is still - if not the most efficient - perhaps the more human way...

:)

XYY

Getting to one town to the next is fairly straightforward..even if I'm not completely sure, i'll look on Google Maps very briefly, and go "oh, yes, I know now"...I don't usually need a sat nav until I'm on the outskirts of somewhere...

Picture the scene: just moved to a rural area for the first time. Partner's parents visit so we take them out for a nice evening to a local town.

No idea how to get home, no problem. Fire up the sat nav and put the postcode in. Route set.

At one point we get directed to turn down a tiny lane. Ok we are in the country. It cannot be wrong. We carry on along a dirt track for a few miles with a growing suspicion that something is amiss.

The road literally ends in the middle of a field. You look at the display which shows no road ahead. No arrow, nothing.

And you think "we're lost".