House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The_Oldie

House Prices Bounce Back

Guest The_Oldie

Just seen this on BBC News 24 lineup of todays papers.

The presenter mentioned that it was based on the Halifax figures.

express.gif

post-2126-1133595387_thumb.jpg

Six months ago they reported a major slump.

Most people on this site should know that the housing cycle lasts about 15 years, not 6 months.

It's a pity they can't show the big picture.

Guest The_Oldie

Six months ago they reported a major slump.

Most people on this site should know that the housing cycle lasts about 15 years, not 6 months.

It's a pity they can't show the big picture.

Actually it was September 30th :rolleyes:.

express6vn.th.gif

post-2126-1133596029_thumb.jpg

Property rocket ride is over - enter the bargain hunters

this was the headline on the Front page of the Sydney Morning Herald (Saturday) sure did alot of good for folk selling their houses here today.

The Aussies don't muck around they call a spade a spade unlike the British Press who somehow like to skirt around the property market as not to offend its readers.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/proper...3422108583.html

From the newspaper:

John Wriglesworth (Hometrack)

added;“The key feature of the market this month is a significant increase in

house sales activity, helped by more buyers returning to the market.”

“Prices have stabilised and are now bumping along a higher plateau -

a crash can clearly be ruled out.”

“Over the medium term, house prices will inevitably resume their upward course.” buzz.gif

At the end of the article was some words of caution from Fionnuala Earley (Nationwide)

She said; “The strong rebound in prices in October was temporary, driven by buyers postponing

purchases until after the August base rate cut, and the overall picture remains one of stability

rather than acceleration.”

“November’s data suggests that the market has settled back down to the pattern of

small rises in some months and small falls in others, with prices growing only very slowly.”

The funniest contradiction came from Philip Davies (Linden house builders)

“I expect to see for sale and sold signs shooting up with daffodils as vendors come out

of hibernation with more realistically-priced homes.”

(My opinion) sales are so low, distortions in the stats are showing dramastic swings easily.

it is now way too unreliable to read much in them anymore.

Repossessions and arrears are a clearer indicator just how healthy the housing market is.

I believe the market has burnt itself out.

From the newspaper:

John Wriglesworth (Hometrack)

added;“The key feature of the market this month is a significant increase in

house sales activity, helped by more buyers returning to the market.”

“Prices have stabilised and are now bumping along a higher plateau -

a crash can clearly be ruled out.”

“Over the medium term, house prices will inevitably resume their upward course.” buzz.gif

So short term it'll bump along at a higher plateau, medium term it'll go up and er...long term...er...up!

What a crock. :blink:

The Halifax figures are not an accurate indicator of the direction of the property market.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,16781,1656739,00.html

"In fact, says Alan Castle, an economist at Lehman Brothers, the Halifax figures are showing that house prices have risen 4.7% over the past six months while the Nationwide shows a 1% rise and Hometrack a fall of 0.7%. House price indicators differ because they have different sample bases and often only relatively small numbers of properties change hands each month, meaning different indices can tell quite different stories."

"Ed Stansfield, of Capital Economics, said: "The strength of the data seem at odds with current high valuations and stretched affordability, as well as generally subdued economic activity. So even if the other house price series follow the Halifax higher in the next few months, these factors suggest that the upturn is unlikely to be sustained for long."

:D

Edited by Realistbear

Guest Bart of Darkness
The Aussies don't muck around they call a spade a spade unlike the British Press who somehow like to skirt around the property market as not to offend its readers.

Maybe the Aussies are harder to fool that the somewhat dim "Great" British public, who will seemingly swallow any old tripe.

I think burnt before is spot on with the comment about the Stats being on low numbers and this is exagerating the up and down swings - ie the stats are little more than anecdotal.

Nations obsession: Price of their house. Pffft. <_<

Its up (JOY), its down (GLOOM), Its up (JOY), Its down again, (GLOOM) its down again (GLOOM, GLOOM). Its up again (JOY, JOY, JOY), Maybe I have a low boredom threshold, but the press in the country are so dull. Can't we just call it instability?

I reckon personally that what we are seeing is the sort of movement you would expect to see from a someone who had accidently sauntered to the edge of a cliff - stablise or fall? it depends how good your underlying balance is.

I went to the supermarket late this afternoon and guess what, there was one Sun, two Daily Telegraphs and a MASSIVE stack of Expresses - it'll be interesting to find out if their circulation suffered today because of the c**p lead story. People know what's happening on the ground so their hyped no-story lead is likely to have damaged circulation in my opinion.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I went to the supermarket late this afternoon and guess what, there was one Sun, two Daily Telegraphs and a MASSIVE stack of Expresses - it'll be interesting to find out if their circulation suffered today because of the c**p lead story. People know what's happening on the ground so their hyped no-story lead is likely to have damaged circulation in my opinion.

Strange that, their headline " The Great House Price Slump" had the same effect, piles left unsold in my local Tesco. When I worked in the newspaper industry many newspapers would suffer this two way public thrashing.

Was surprised to read that in the Express. Normally they would report or interpret a downturn in the market according to the latest report and then blame it on Gordon Brown, Blair and his cronies.

It was a poor piece of journalism, headline grabbing, sensationalist poorly balanced until you read the last few paragraphs. It almost sounded like an advert for Halifax who are one of the worst VI's when you consider that they own a chain of Halifax estate agents.

Saturday 3rd December-Muswell Hill North London,

Had a stroll round all the agents in Muswell hill. Everyone quiet. I know its Christmas, but with all this talk of people returning to the market, where are they?

I guess that Saturday would be a busy day.

One agent was checking the phones on vodaphone web site, one staring blankly into space, one reading the paper, one sprung into action and tried to look busy as i peered through the window. The rest have about 8 desks with only about 2 or 3 agents actually there. I guess they all must be out conducting viewings!!

My dad mentioned the story (operative word) at the weekend.

I quickly asked him who was it that said in the article that house prices were going up, he replied 'Halifax', to which I explained that it's in their interest to gloss over the downturn.

Jesus, is anyone capable of critically evaluating what they read or are told anymore, no wonder the world has gone madly into debt.

Say something loud enough, and endlessly repeat it and it'll penetrate the public psych and remain there for evermore

Say something loud enough, and endlessly repeat it and it'll penetrate the public psych and remain there for evermore

Yes, the old word, with of course sinister undertones, was propaganda.

It's the method used when attempting to influence large groups.

Therefore constant advertising etc. on the perils of drinkdriving and speeding. Worthwhile you may say, but the principle is the same.

The company "Mission Statement" and related training activities in the "Ethos" all the same.

Afterall, got a dog and want to train it. Repeat, repeat and ultimately (s)he gets the message.

Always the awkward one(s) of course but mainly most respond. Good ole Pavlov.