House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

£20 Fine For Leaving Your Diesel Engine Running

£20 fine for leaving your diesel engine running: Drivers face on-the-spot fines in move to cut pollution
article-2715200-203BF0B600000578-378_154

Islington Council in North London is to introduce the penalty for drivers of diesel vehicles leading to claims it is introducing a 'stealth tax'.

Hot on the heels of Boris wanting to charge £10 for entering London.

£20 fine for leaving your diesel engine running: Drivers face on-the-spot fines in move to cut pollution

article-2715200-203BF0B600000578-378_154

Islington Council in North London is to introduce the penalty for drivers of diesel vehicles leading to claims it is introducing a 'stealth tax'.

Hot on the heels of Boris wanting to charge £10 for entering London.

Outrageous. My diesel Volvo V40 is so low in emissions that it's zero-rated for VED.

Diesel cars are fine on the motorway when the particle filter gets up to temp and working efficiently.

They certainly have no place crawling around cities belching out tiny particles that get lodged in our lungs.

If only we could have had that when our (postgrad student - the lowest of the low) office was a basement whose windows opened onto a car park, and far too many drivers ignored the signs asking them to park with their front to the building.

In a city or densely packed environment, the worse pollution a diesel engine makes when stationary is the noise.

Imagine having a quiet afternoon in your £1m luxury Islington appartment, and a refrigerated lorry turns up to fill the ice cream cabinet of the newsagents just below your window....lying there, on your bed in dreamland, accompanied by the clatter of the now ticking over diesel for the next 10 minutes...or a taxi pulling up and waiting to load grandma from next door, sitting for 20 minutes, clatter clatter clatter...

deffo worth a £20 fine.

Who'd arrest them? Of course it's illegal for anyone else to leave the engine running when the driver isn't in the car. Excepting, yes, emergency vehicles! Good reason for fire engines - the engine needs to be running to drive the pump. But police? Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to fit some sort of transponder to give control their position rather than leaving the engine running.

Just for perspective - in Sweden, since forever, there are always signs like "Idling forbidden" or "empty driving forbidden" literal translation. these would be in parking lots, parking spaces, shops, etc etc - public spaces. So that's a ban for petrol and diesel.

Not that I know of anyone who was ever fined for it, but anyway.

If they get them to stop their engines, they can then do them for parking illegally. B)

Amazed your talents haven't been snapped up by your local council :D

Just for perspective - in Sweden, since forever, there are always signs like "Idling forbidden" or "empty driving forbidden" literal translation. these would be in parking lots, parking spaces, shops, etc etc - public spaces. So that's a ban for petrol and diesel.

Not that I know of anyone who was ever fined for it, but anyway.

I was once helping my German MIL to clear the ice and snow off her car one morning, and I asked why she didn't let the car run with the heating on to make the job easer. She was shocked at my suggestion - nobody would be so rude to their neighbours as to leave their car idling in front of the house for any length of time. :unsure:

Diesel cars are fine on the motorway when the particle filter gets up to temp and working efficiently.

They certainly have no place crawling around cities belching out tiny particles that get lodged in our lungs.

35.reut2.jpg

I was once helping my German MIL to clear the ice and snow off her car one morning, and I asked why she didn't let the car run with the heating on to make the job easer. She was shocked at my suggestion - nobody would be so rude to their neighbours as to leave their car idling in front of the house for any length of time. :unsure:

Aye, and you can't have a bath or flush the loo at night, or hang out washing on a Sunday!

Who'd arrest them? Of course it's illegal for anyone else to leave the engine running when the driver isn't in the car. Excepting, yes, emergency vehicles! Good reason for fire engines - the engine needs to be running to drive the pump. But police? Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to fit some sort of transponder to give control their position rather than leaving the engine running.

Officials from Islington council have claimed they will target lorries, buses and diesel cars.

So can no longer call it a bus-stop then. ;)

My guess will be that commercial vehicles will be exempted.

Either that or the supermarkets and shops in Islington will be running out of chilled and frozen food.

I worked in this industry for years and chill chain procedures have to be undertaken as per the law. Somehow switching off mobile fridges when delivering isn't always conducive to this.

Either that or the supermarkets and shops in Islington will be running out of chilled and frozen food.

I worked in this industry for years and chill chain procedures have to be undertaken as per the law. Somehow switching off mobile fridges when delivering isn't always conducive to this.

That's the price of chilled and frozen food up then. How many fines could one chiller delivery van potentially clock up in one day?

In the smogs of the 1950's, you had to have your headlights on full beam to see ladies' bottoms properly.

It think that's my mum in the picture, and I'll bet that's your uncle's strangely named car stalking her! I can't work out why she is carrying a rabbit in a sock!

It think that's my mum in the picture, and I'll bet that's your uncle's strangely named car stalking her! I can't work out why she is carrying a rabbit in a sock!

It's not your mum, it's a lady!

Last week I went to Aldi and the delivery truck was there (and taking up a lot of space in the car park- TBH I've no idea how it gets out again). Anyway it had a motor running by or on the tractor unit, but it certainly didn't sound like the tractor's main 12L+ engine, much more like a smaller diesel generator. So from a position of knowing nowt about logistics other than what a big straight six diesel sounds like at idle (8 years in the bus industry) I reckon they've pre-empted this, albeit that maybe it's only practical on a chilled artic trailer- maybe on a 15t rigid it's not so practical.

Anyway, although I despise Islington for their ludicrous borough wide 20mph speed limit idiocy (**** me going up the Balls Pond Road is an exercise in controlling sheer frustration), I do think that people who needlessly leave their engines running are idiots, and in the case of diesel drivers, polluting idiots. Personally I employ 'stop-start' technology when I'm driving about in my thirsty 3L car- using the ignition key. Surprising how fast the MPG readout goes down when you're sat at traffic lights with 6 500cc cylinders pointlessly idling!