House Price Crash Forum
Venger

Clegg Wants To Protect The Hpi -- Merged

Just on the radio...

Heard him in his own voice.

Whilst Garden Cities are built, he wants to look at giving homeowners nearby a discount on their council tax during the construction phase. And look at compensating the value of their homes if new developments should affect values.

Not surprising. Homeowners are more likely to vote (they tend to be older and have more of a vested interest in political decision-making), and the Lib Dems' current and target constituencies contain a large proportion of FTB properties in relatively affluent areas. Not until there are a critical mass of renters in their 40s and 50s will any of the major political parties be willing to do anything that jeopardises the house price bubble. The UK appears to be heading in that direction, but is not there yet.

Yes and yes, to the above. No market; just pure VI, money printing, FLS, HTB and so on, to override all market norms.

It hadn't appeared in the newspapers when I posted earlier, but Telegraph has picked it up now.

Nick Clegg: pay residents to accept new Garden Cities
Telegraph.co.uk ‎- 1 hour ago
Home-owners will be offered council tax discounts and house price guarantees to encourage them to accept a new Garden City development ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11008331/Nick-Clegg-pay-residents-to-accept-new-Garden-Cities.html

I suspect these 'garden cities' will actually be pretty crappy affairs, like they always are. Ebbsfleet is a former quarry, where old Doctor Who episodes were filmed. To be replaced, no doubt with rows of identical monoculture developments with odd patch of dog pooping ground.

Of course if they were to recover the ho moanerz bail out with hefty death duties, but doubtless they will abolish those too, to win votes.

Edited by aSecureTenant

He will have about as much political clout as some tw4t who runs the local Polytechnic student union in 9 months time, he can say what the hell he wants.

Yes! Will you be still up for Clegg's result in Hallam? :lol:

An absolute sick joke. What about the compensation for people who can't enter the market?

Gentlemen (and ladies), when do we march on London?

He will have about as much political clout as some tw4t who runs the local Polytechnic student union in 9 months time, he can say what the hell he wants.

I wouldn't be sure about that, there's still a good chance we will have another hung parliament next time.

by stating there Will be compensation ( a payment for a loss of amenity/valuewhatever due to the negligence of a third party) they are saying up front the new Garden Cities WILL be crap, will reduce values and god help the people who live in them.

The new Cities have a green field opportunity to make perfection and a desire to live in them an aspiration and inspiration for all.

They wont acheive this as no lessons are ever learned in spite of the ongoing to training and methods, reviews and self improvement supposedly ingrained into the Government ranks of employees. The customer comes first apparently in all the job adverts Ive seen in the Local Council...yet they singularly fail to demonstrate their own stated aims by their actions every day.

Hence, the Garden Cities will be rubbish, and they know it.

Just on the radio...

Whilst Garden Cities are built, he wants to look at giving homeowners nearby a discount on their council tax during the construction phase. And look at compensating the value of their homes if new developments should affect values.

I hate this country.

Compensation for progress*; what a ******ing joke!

*but as someone else pointed out- I don't think we can trust tptb to make a good job of "garden cities"

Edited by btl_hater

Not surprising. Homeowners are more likely to vote (they tend to be older and have more of a vested interest in political decision-making), and the Lib Dems' current and target constituencies contain a large proportion of FTB properties in relatively affluent areas. Not until there are a critical mass of renters in their 40s and 50s will any of the major political parties be willing to do anything that jeopardises the house price bubble. The UK appears to be heading in that direction, but is not there yet.

You need only a few tens of thousands people to take a control of a major political party. I am sure there is at least a few million people not happy with the current housing situation. They just need to organise to change the government policies.

What about all HPCs joining Con or/and Lab.

Yes and yes, to the above. No market; just pure VI, money printing, FLS, HTB and so on, to override all market norms.

It hadn't appeared in the newspapers when I posted earlier, but Telegraph has picked it up now.

What with Help to Buy Bail Banks and now House Price Guarantees the governbankment is going to own quite a lot of equity.

"We could possibly also say to those homes where they think the price of their home will be affected, we will guarantee the price of their home by buying it, if you like, up front.”

I do think things are changing, though. There are now so many more renters in their 30s+, so that politicians who thought, 'Young renters don't bother to vote so we needn't bother about what they want' may just be beginning to think again.

Also, although I know many on here don't believe it, and don't want to believe it, an awful lot of those parents of the priced-out are seriously concerned about the effects of mad house prices on their children.

I do think things are changing, though. There are now so many more renters in their 30s+, so that politicians who thought, 'Young renters don't bother to vote so we needn't bother about what they want' may just be beginning to think again.

Also, although I know many on here don't believe it, and don't want to believe it, an awful lot of those parents of the priced-out are seriously concerned about the effects of mad house prices on their children.

What are they going to do about it though? Who are they going to vote for?

An absolute sick joke. What about the compensation for people who can't enter the market?

Agreed. <_<

Compensating home owners nearby for any potential loss of value? They are supposed to be homes, not investments FFS. Besides, if I invested £1,000 in the stock market and sold the shares at a loss I wouldn't be compensated. It would have been a calcuated risk that didn't pay off. However, at least you can still live in a property after it has lost value!

Just on the radio...

That's bonkers. The government he is deputy P.M of is running a deficit and he thinks the grey army need compo for having to put up with young people having homes built near them? At least he understands that NIMBYism is all about locking in hpi and greed rather than saving saving the country side.

We all know who the building contracts for these new garden cities will be handed to: Barratt, Persimmon, Taylor Wimpey etc. They've got the contacts and they know how to put together bid proposals that will tick the government's boxes.

It is slightly terrifying that the political class is thinking about trying to ramp up the rate of housing construction at a time when Britain's builders have become very good at putting up terrible houses. Unless there is some kind of revolution in quality, we may be about to put up millions of seriously low quality houses.

I don't see where such a revolution in quality would come from at the present time. It seems much more likely that we will go from full-on 'low construction rate protect the greenbelt and don't upset the NIMBYs' mode to 'build any old crap in large volumes to meet the targets' mode followed by a counter-revolution when people see the dire quality of what is being put up and a return to 'low construction rate' mode.

If you are an ordinary wage earner who doesn't already own a decent house, it may be time to think about leaving the country. The stabilisers that are supposed to kick in when the political class push too far in the wrong direction (i.e. elections and market forces) are seriously broken now.

Edited by Dorkins

I don't know - who are you going to vote for? Point being, that if politicians start to think there could be votes in tackling house prices, they might just think about doing something. Osborne introduced help to buy because he thought there'd be votes in it, while completely failing to understand - or choosing to ignore - the basic problem.

Yesterday I had two young canvassers for the Tories at the door. This is a constituency that is always either Con or LD - Labour come nowhere. I told them I would not be voting Tory next time, although I usually do, since I was so furious about Help to Buy. Shortly after it was introduced I did in fact email our MP, who said he 'shared some of my concerns' and fwded my email to the then housing minister. I had such an arrogant and dismissive reply. This was way before there was so much in the media about it pushing up house prices.

Unless anyone comes up with anything positive, I don't know who I'm going to vote for next time. I will not vote LD - I can't stand pretty-boy Clegg who is so blinkered-ly pro Europe. If it had been up to him we'd have been in the Euro years ago.

I might just vote for the Monster Raving Loonies, if they field a candidate here.

The YPP sounded like their interests are alligned with the wishes of most young-ish people and the general sentiment regarding HPC here. LVT, cheaper housing, acknowledging the wealth transfer in housing.

Like the tuition fees for sure they will have already decided they can't afford it but that doesn't stop them using the proposal in the run-up to the general election if it'll get them some votes.

The reneging comes after the general election.

Edited by billybong

I don't know - who are you going to vote for? Point being, that if politicians start to think there could be votes in tackling house prices, they might just think about doing something. Osborne introduced help to buy because he thought there'd be votes in it, while completely failing to understand - or choosing to ignore - the basic problem.

Yesterday I had two young canvassers for the Tories at the door. This is a constituency that is always either Con or LD - Labour come nowhere. I told them I would not be voting Tory next time, although I usually do, since I was so furious about Help to Buy. Shortly after it was introduced I did in fact email our MP, who said he 'shared some of my concerns' and fwded my email to the then housing minister. I had such an arrogant and dismissive reply. This was way before there was so much in the media about it pushing up house prices.

Unless anyone comes up with anything positive, I don't know who I'm going to vote for next time. I will not vote LD - I can't stand pretty-boy Clegg who is so blinkered-ly pro Europe. If it had been up to him we'd have been in the Euro years ago.

I might just vote for the Monster Raving Loonies, if they field a candidate here.

I'm not on the electoral roll because there is no party nobody worth voting for. In our corrupt system, it doesn't matter what colour tie they wear. Something will have to change before I vote again.