House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Dj Mike Smith Rip

Real shocker that one, out of the blue like Rik Mayall. I thought he was much younger than that (good looking bloke it has to be said) so it felt closer to home.

Agreed that 59's no age. Poor Sarah Greene, they seemed joined at the hip, unusual for a celeb couple.

Another piece of my childhood gone. Albeit, just watching TV in the early 80s as an impressionable teen, Mike Smith and Sarah Greene were the golden couple..

Top guy, he will be missed.

The same sentiments were expressed about Jimmy Savile in the immediate aftermath of his passing.

Given that a succession of BBC middle-of-the-pecking-order creatives and managers have claimed that there was "institutional sex abuse" at BBC Television Centre in the 1970s and '80s (of whom Savile and Harris were the most notorious, but by no means the only participants), I'm afraid that I have to wonder what revelations are likely to surface now, which may have been kept under wraps until now to avoid the risk of a lawsuit. Of course I'm being grossly unfair if Smith was never involved in any of the funny business. It's another poisonous legacy of that scandal that I'm instantly suspecting someone who probably had nothing to do with it.

The same sentiments were expressed about Jimmy Savile in the immediate aftermath of his passing.

Given that a succession of BBC middle-of-the-pecking-order creatives and managers have claimed that there was "institutional sex abuse" at BBC Television Centre in the 1970s and '80s (of whom Savile and Harris were the most notorious, but by no means the only participants), I'm afraid that I have to wonder what revelations are likely to surface now, which may have been kept under wraps until now to avoid the risk of a lawsuit. Of course I'm being grossly unfair if Smith was never involved in any of the funny business. It's another poisonous legacy of that scandal that I'm instantly suspecting someone who probably had nothing to do with it.

I would have thought that Mike Smith was too young to have been in a position of power and influence at the BBC (so having the opportunity) when this was all happening.

As you note this may have been a regular occurrence in the 70s and continued to the mid 80s but you're not getting many if any offences in the court cases happening more recently.

In 1980 Mike would have been 25 so wasn't going to be a powerful sexual predator on the under-age even if he had the inclination, which I doubt.

I would have thought that Mike Smith was too young to have been in a position of power and influence at the BBC (so having the opportunity) when this was all happening.

As you note this may have been a regular occurrence in the 70s and continued to the mid 80s but you're not getting many if any offences in the court cases happening more recently.

In 1980 Mike would have been 25 so wasn't going to be a powerful sexual predator on the under-age even if he had the inclination, which I doubt.

I doubt it too, and I knew him, a genuinely nice guy, no airs and graces.

Another piece of my childhood gone. Albeit, just watching TV in the early 80s as an impressionable teen, Mike Smith and Sarah Greene were the golden couple..

Probably best if you don't Google "Sarah Greene", " Pool Table" and "Rugby Team" then...!

No really Shezza, don't do it...

XYY

I'm certainly lacking in "grace" and have few hairs! I knew Kirstie McColl once!

I didn't think the BBC were as nice as they could have been in their obituary on BBC News.....when discussing the life achievements of someone is it really necessary to mention a valid but minor complaint lodged against Keith Chegwin/The Big Breakfast in the 90's?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28626370

This is a very unusual death. I am no medical expert and indeed we do not know how routine the op. was. However mortality under the knife at such a young age is very rare.

Undiagnosed heart problems and sudden heart attacks are very common, death following medical intervention is uncommon..........

http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/valve-mortality-surgery-repair-replacement.php

Guest eight

Alas the only real memory I have of him is him seriously upsetting Frank Sytner in a touring car race.

Unfounded speculation on a thread about a popular public figure who died prematurely barely a day ago. Nice one!

Only on HPC.... B)

I have been trying not to post this all weekend - have to say that the first thing I thought about when I heard the news was that Sarah Greene was back on the market.

OK, inappropiate joke over. I only say that as I had such a big crush on her when I was younger. One of my first I suspect.

It must be awful for her as they have been a couple together for many decades now - which is hard enough in most marriages but especially so in showbiz. They must have been very happy together. He seemed a very nice guy - certainly came across that way. Life is so fleeting.

Life is so fleeting.

Yes....as a 30 year old when I hear about people dying in their late 50's/early 60's, my brain screams at me 'Jesus mate, your life could be half over', and it kinda puts things in perspective.....i.e. make sure you're having a bit of fun with life and not taking it too seriously because you don't know how long it's gonna last.

Yes....as a 30 year old when I hear about people dying in their late 50's/early 60's, my brain screams at me 'Jesus mate, your life could be half over'

The late 50s to early 60s do seem to be a high risk period for illness-related premature death, both of the sudden variety (i.e. heart attacks and strokes) and cancer. The impression I get is that between around 56-57 and 63-64 is the high risk period, and if you get through that, your chances are pretty good of making it into your 80s.