House Price Crash Forum

Bricks And Bubbles - R4

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Not too bad. You're left with the sense that the presenter is overall sceptical/bearish on prices. The piece has a lot of focus on people buying in a bubbly market (Bristol) but also some stuff from Northern Ireland. Danny Gabay from Fathom Consulting who has been consistently bearish on house prices gets a good solid minute at 14:00, but the last word definitely went fellah from the couple trying to buy in Bristol, who gave a chapter and verse "Don't miss the boat argument", choosing cowboys chasing trains as his metaphor. All in all, not dreadful but you could miss it and live with yourself. I'd say that the non-hpcer listening would be left worrying about missing the boat, so on balance, regardless of what it is intended to be, that episode plays as bull propaganda.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Not too bad. You're left with the sense that the presenter is overall sceptical/bearish on prices. The piece has a lot of focus on people buying in a bubbly market (Bristol) but also some stuff from Northern Ireland. Danny Gabay from Fathom Consulting who has been consistently bearish on house prices gets a good solid minute at 14:00, but the last word definitely went fellah from the couple trying to buy in Bristol, who gave a chapter and verse "Don't miss the boat argument", choosing cowboys chasing trains as his metaphor. All in all, not dreadful but you could miss it and live with yourself. I'd say that the non-hpcer listening would be left worrying about missing the boat, so on balance, regardless of what it is intended to be, that episode plays as bull propaganda.

Yeah, I heard that. Didn't think it was the greatest metaphor! Doesn't he realise that trains can stop! or even go backwards! :P

HOLA449
Guest The Relaxation Suite

Recent research by a British university shows 95% of people are "sheeple", i.e., they simply follow the person in front. Only 5% think for themselves. They worked this out by having people wander around in a gym in a random pattern, while instructing a few to move in a specific way, and soon they were being followed, etc. I wasn't surprised by the 5% figure at all. I imagine most people who have taken the time to seek out this site are in the 5%. The guy who did it gave a fantastic quote - paraphrased now - "this is great news for pedestrian pattern flow design, but not so good for the future of humanity" or something along those lines. :)

Edited by Lord of the Pies

HOLA4410

The last comment by the buyer was 100% typical BBC ramping crap. Last word and all that.

#pathetic

I heard some of that in a trailer for the show, earlier in the day.

The depressing thing is that last part is from a first-time-buyer. The same talk in 2004-07... as they made their own decisions to outbid others. Then in 2008-2010 hpcers full of their pathetic excuses about media/parents/banks/culture responsible... sold them into overpaying. Lobbied for glorious bailouts to protect the stupid buyers, and prop up the values for the older VI.

Now it's same again, except they're pushing and falling over themselves to pay 35% higher prices than in early 2007.

What's the hpcers' excuses going to be this time around, when QE tapers and other props fall away, for these victims? They want my family, my brothers and younger sister to carry mobfants and posh Jonathan's and loads more just like them, on their backs and shoulders for the rest of their lives. Markets... we make our own decisions. Some of us, unbelievably, can look a little further beyond an asking price. Some of us recoil with sticker-shock at the asking prices. Some of us can look at higher rates to come, global QE tapering, possible rate rises, job security.

Presenter: If I've learned one thing from this whistle-stop tour of the country is that it's crazy to talk about the UK housing market as a whole. Each market has its own dynamic and will respond
in very different ways to one size fits all policy-making. Next week we're in London, the market which now dominates the debate and strongly influences national policy thinking. And which as a result will certainly end up affecting your local housing market, wherever in the country you may be.
Meanwhile I caught up with Jonathan to see what happened since him and Louisa missed out on the house we viewed with them earlier. Despite high prices it turned out they were still among the among the army of beleaguered Bristol would-be first time buyers, still chasing each one another around open day viewings each weekend.
Posh Jonathan: I phoned about five estate agents yesterday and have booked in viewings for six different houses on Saturday morning in quick succession.
Presenter: And what's your impression of the market. Some people say it's cooled down a bit.
Posh FTB: The prices I'm seeing at the moment aren't massively different from what they were a month ago. But we're splitting hairs here; for the likes of us first time buyers it's still expensive.
Presenter: Shouldn't you just stay out of the market and just not buy and wait for prices to come back?
Posh Jonathan: Possibly but it's always going to be a gamble at to whether that's ever going to happen. I liken it to trying to catch up with a moving train. You've only got one point in life where you're going to have the disposable income necessary to actually get on to the property ladder, at a point before prices go any higher, and the money you have available becomes not enough. It's like the scenes in the old cowboy films where the hero is riding his horse up to the back of the train, and he's just got enough speed to jump onto the back of it before it disappears off into the sunset. And that's kind of how I feel about the property market. We have our window where we have a deposit, and it's enough to get us on there, but if we leave it any longer
prices are going to go up again and we're going to miss that opportunity.
Me to you ********** ******** ******* excuse-givers; "They didn't know what they were doing / They just wanted a home."
NSFW (not safe for work).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Says two thirds of outright owners want property to fall or not get any higher.......thousands of people are now priced out of buying close to where they live and work........this, if it carries on will not be pretty. ;)

All the people I talk to, all ages and backgrounds (apart from the multi owners who have bought for investment purposes) one home owners see this as unsustainable and not healthy, they can see their children and their children's children suffering because of a few peoples greed...and the leaders openly welcome it, allowing it to happen. :ph34r:

HOLA4414