House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Breaking Up A Fight

If two people are scrapping away merrily and they're evenly matched, or if it's a couple going at it, then just leave them to it. They both want that fight and time and time again you hear these stories of the two fighters then joining forces and turning on the one trying to break it up.

A lorry driver suffered shocking injuries after being stabbed with broken bottles after he tried to break up a fight between two strangers - which left his insides hanging out.

Anthony Dukes was stabbed 11 times in a secluded area of the picturesque Astbury Mere Country Park in Congleton, Cheshire, close to the visitors' centre.

The 25-year-old had been swimming in the park lake with friends when he spotted two men fighting and decided to intervene.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714030/I-looked-insides-Horror-lorry-driver-left-guts-spilling-attacked-bottle-trying-break-fight.html

I have and would again step in for a mugging (got slashed across the knuckles last time) or anything similar because I'm usually the biggest around so would feel it's down to me to act; but a fight or a domestic just leave them to it.

I was told never ever under any circumstances try to break up a fight between a man and wife. As they are likely to turn on you.

Very good advice there.

I once faced up to a bloke who was picking on my 13 year old, karate trained son for wearing his Army Cadet Force uniform. It wasn't till afterwards that I realised the risk. I'm a five foot nothing bird. He was at least five-ten and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. What a mother will do...:)

I once faced up to a bloke who was picking on my 13 year old, karate trained son for wearing his Army Cadet Force uniform. It wasn't till afterwards that I realised the risk. I'm a five foot nothing bird. He was at least five-ten and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. What a mother will do...:)

Always back away (slowly) from a short angry woman is also a good rule!

The aggressive drinkers of both sexes are usually quite short come to think of it.

It was probably your son's Warrant Officer.

Always back away (slowly) from a short angry woman is also a good rule!

The aggressive drinkers of both sexes are usually quite short come to think of it.

I was totally sober!!! You're right about the aggressive drinkers but it may have more to do with short person (man) syndrome than alcohol!

I once faced up to a bloke who was picking on my 13 year old, karate trained son for wearing his Army Cadet Force uniform. It wasn't till afterwards that I realised the risk. I'm a five foot nothing bird. He was at least five-ten and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. What a mother will do... :)

I didn't know it was you!

I had a t-shirt printed! It just said "Ordinary Bloke, fights, farts and ******s!!"

My friend's five year old daughter said "I've never seen you fight"! :blink:

Friend stepped into stop boyfriend knocking eight bells out of girlfriend in park in Norwich (some time ago now). He got broken jaw and concussion for his troubles. The police apparently arrived shortly afterwards and arrested the guy still there and identified by various witnesses. When he gave statement, copper edited his description of the person as "although there were dozens of witnesses and we arrested him in the act of still assaulting his partner, if your description did not precisely match, he would likely get off"

I would post here about my ex-wife, but not impossible my kids might see it. Point is men don't retaliate and people don't believe you.

Yes, you've mentioned it before. I'm not trying to fish for details but if you haven't already please consider counseling. I know somebody who also suffered, they're still carrying it and I keep encouraging them to go.

Words are the mightiest weapon. .

I know that sounds gay as ****** - but its true.

If it were a mugging or a beating i feel i might step in, but i wouldn't use words in that situation, i'd rather surprise the attacker and eliminate the threat before talking!

I to am larger than most (6'3 140kg) so also feel i should step in sometimes.

Of course all of this depends if i have my son with me.

His safety comes first.

Years ago, I guess about 2007, I came out of the garage at about 2pm having finished an early driving shift to walk to my car. Walked up the side road next to the garage and saw a ~16 y/o schoolkid pinning his girlfriend into a wall and whispering threateningly to her. She looked utterly terrified. I walked over and said "Oi mate, that isn't the way to treat a lady!". He recoiled, and said something along the lines of "oh she's my girlfriend, we were only having a laugh". I asked her if she was alright, and, still clearly terrified, she nodded. So at a loss for what to do next, I walked off. Having picked up my car, I drove back down the same road, no sign of them.

And it has troubled me to this day. For a 15/16 year old, the lad was tall and handsome, clearly an alpha male in the making, and his girlfriend was a tall slim looker too, not the kind of girl you'd think would get into an abusive relationship as a teenager. I still wonder if I failed them both that day- if I'd pinned the lad to the wall and asked him how he liked it, and if he knew what they do to wife beaters in prison...I could have been arrested for assaulting a child :rolleyes: . It still plays on my mind and upsets me to this day.

Prevention is the better way......see you keep friendly with those that will stand up for you against the perpetrators......when my sister was being bullied I told the bully, you touch my sister you will forever regret it......sorted.

Years ago, I guess about 2007, I came out of the garage at about 2pm having finished an early driving shift to walk to my car. Walked up the side road next to the garage and saw a ~16 y/o schoolkid pinning his girlfriend into a wall and whispering threateningly to her. She looked utterly terrified. I walked over and said "Oi mate, that isn't the way to treat a lady!". He recoiled, and said something along the lines of "oh she's my girlfriend, we were only having a laugh". I asked her if she was alright, and, still clearly terrified, she nodded. So at a loss for what to do next, I walked off. Having picked up my car, I drove back down the same road, no sign of them.

And it has troubled me to this day. For a 15/16 year old, the lad was tall and handsome, clearly an alpha male in the making, and his girlfriend was a tall slim looker too, not the kind of girl you'd think would get into an abusive relationship as a teenager. I still wonder if I failed them both that day- if I'd pinned the lad to the wall and asked him how he liked it, and if he knew what they do to wife beaters in prison...I could have been arrested for assaulting a child :rolleyes: . It still plays on my mind and upsets me to this day.

I wouldn't worry too much.

She probably ******ed him over and he now has to pay £300 a month for a child he never wanted. :)

Late one night as I was walking home to my flat, I turned a corner to a see a trail of blood on the pavement.

A short distance down the path there was one small guy (5ft 10 I would say, late teens and slim built) who was on the ground and was having the crap beaten out of him by a much bigger and older guy (6ft 1, same height as me but much heavier built).

Pretty much without thinking about it I intervened and grabbed hold of the big guy...

Only for the little guy to get up and shout out “Leave my Bru'ver alone!”.

In surprise I let go of the older brother, who then took a half hearted swing at me, which I easily ducked, who shouted out something like “This is family business!”.

I walked off, looked back a few moments later the young one was back on the ground in a foetal position while the older brother was kicking him the crap out of him.

With hindsight I was very lucky they didn't turn on me. It's difficult to know what to do in such situations though and I would have felt terrible afterwards if I had walked away without having done anything.

When I arrived back at my flat I did call the police, but I have no idea what the outcome was.

You just can't help some people, own worse enemy.

I'd have done exactly the same, except I wouldn't be agonising over it years later.

I got over that "White Knight" nonsense years ago.

What would you possibly have to gain by intervening?