House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Wetherspoons - Praise Or Scorn?

I have to praise them. Ok their cheap booze prices mean their establishments attract alcoholics - but isn't that the case with most pubs anyway? If I eat a meal there I know most of it's going to be defrosted and warmed up, but they're not trying to fool you they are high cuisine. Nearly always impressed by well-maintained toilets too - not a certainty in London establishments!

One in Chorlton serves good portions of food quickly. It's cheap and cheerful. Interesting to people watch there too.

Moon under the water is fab for a cheap pub grub meal too.

I usually like Spoons (as us aficionados call it), and had a breakfast there this morning, but a minority of their pubs attract hardcore drinkers because of the cheap booze so are best avoided.

Wimbledon and Penzance stick in my mind as bad, plus IIRC Bridport. In all of these the bar is right by the main doors so you're pushing your way through a load of drunks just to get in.

Happy enough I get to choose from about 6 within a 10 mile radius (not London) with the nearest 5 minutes walk away. I go in average about once a week for a curry and a couple of beers.

Carling Lager £2.49 pint. Food is nothing special but then it is cheap enough. What I have noticed though is they price locally, price of food and drinks can be different in the spoons 2 miles up the road. Last time I was in the smoke October last year I went down for a meeting in Borough Hi Street. Was early so popped in for a pie and a pint which was North of £4.00....... :o. I did without the pie.

I usually like Spoons (as us aficionados call it), and had a breakfast there this morning, but a minority of their pubs attract hardcore drinkers because of the cheap booze so are best avoided.

Wimbledon and Penzance stick in my mind as bad, plus IIRC Bridport. In all of these the bar is right by the main doors so you're pushing your way through a load of drunks just to get in.

Wimbledon, Bridport and Penzance?

You like to get about for the odd pint then? That's some pubcrawl............ :rolleyes:

Wimbledon, Bridport and Penzance?

You like to get about for the odd pint then? That's some pubcrawl............ :rolleyes:

and some poor sod gets to be his designated driver too.

Wetherspoons prosper while other pubs close.

They have wrote the book on how to run successful alehouses.

My local one - The Five Quarter in Peterlee - recently had a locally brewed brown ale at 6% abv pulled from a hand-pump at £1.99 a pint. Totally wasted and change from twenty quid - I was one highly satisfied customer that night...!

They seem to have figured out how to lay the pub out in a subtle way that results in the alchys sitting in one area, and the family groups in another.

Their newest pub in my immediate area is located in Seaham Co Durham, and this features frontage that slides away and allows them to use the pavement out front as an extension of the pub. The tables on the street allow smokers to still enjoy their habit while drinking beer and scoffing cheap food. It is innovations like this that keep the punters turning up in droves.

Aye, I love Wetherspoons me like...!

XYY

Only praise from me.

My local one does pints from £2.15 compared to over 4 quid! in other establishments within walking distance. Beer tastes just the same.

It's like going back in a time machine to saner age.

Rough and ready, yes, but that's no bad thing in a boozer.

Wetherspoons prosper while other pubs close.

They have wrote the book on how to run successful alehouses.

My local one - The Five Quarter in Peterlee - recently had a locally brewed brown ale at 6% abv pulled from a hand-pump at £1.99 a pint. Totally wasted and change from twenty quid - I was one highly satisfied customer that night...!

They seem to have figured out how to lay the pub out in a subtle way that results in the alchys sitting in one area, and the family groups in another.

Their newest pub in my immediate area is located in Seaham Co Durham, and this features frontage that slides away and allows them to use the pavement out front as an extension of the pub. The tables on the street allow smokers to still enjoy their habit while drinking beer and scoffing cheap food. It is innovations like this that keep the punters turning up in droves.

Aye, I love Wetherspoons me like...!

XYY

Funny you mention that about the segregation.... Mine is like that too now you come to mention it..

I have to praise them. Ok their cheap booze prices mean their establishments attract alcoholics - but isn't that the case with most pubs anyway? If I eat a meal there I know most of it's going to be defrosted and warmed up, but they're not trying to fool you they are high cuisine. Nearly always impressed by well-maintained toilets too - not a certainty in London establishments!

Don't know whether it's true, but I heard that the owner of the chain was told by a teacher that he would never amount to anything. So he called his chain after the teacher - a Mr Wetherspoon.

Haven't used them very often but have always found them fine - a bit like Premier Inn - not top notch but not pretending to be - good value and you're pretty sure that what you're going to get will be OK.

In any case IMO better any day than those places with pretensions and prices to match, but where food/service or both do not match up at all.

I'm in central London quite a lot, and as someone said above, at least the 'Spoons are tidy and toilets are clean.

I can't believe the number of places in the Capital that charge upwards of £6/pint and think it's ok to have toilet areas reminiscent of a scene from Trainspotting. Punch&Judy, Covent Garden for instance.

I like them, and what the chap's done with what is after all one of the oldest professions.

It makes you realise how much of a rip off most other pubs are.

The only downer is that they don't seem to spend much on maintenance so they do end up looking a bit tatty after a few years.

They seem to have a better idea of how to run a pub that the big brewerys.

There model appears to be do a refit and increase prices and then are shocked that people don't go in and drink. Although as high prices = happy customers in the current business stakes one does why wonder these pubs fail.

I like them......they provide a good consistent product that there is a demand for.....like anything, what may be good today doesn't mean it will be good tomorrow.

Decent surroundings for burger king prices, food wise. Lots of staff, never have to wait long to be served. Toilets always clean. Plus they occupy lots of historic buildings that would otherwise fall to ruin.

I think their food, though done to a formula, is quite acceptable and is often better than posh restaurants. Afternoon deal on the fish and chips and a drink for £5.09 or the 2 meals for £6.69 are regular slots for us.

I think the ambience is generally pretty good. There is usually a hard core of drinkers attached to every Wetherspoons, but musn't complain....there lies their profit and keeps the thing expanding and able to offer value for money food.

Very grateful that Wetherspoons is in London...instead of queuing for an hour for a meal in a sheep pen on the Southbank for £40 I can go to an empty Pommelers Rest off Tower Bridge and get a meal for a fiver. The Whitehall one is always packed though...except for breakfast.

I had the worst food poisoning I ever experienced after I ate a meal at Wetherspoon in Harrogate. I literally wished death after 3 days. BY the end there was no gut flora and fauna left as they had run away and my guts were lying everted around me on the bathroom floor. (hmm, that last bit's exaggeration, got carried away)

But seriously, my guts didn't get back to any semblance of normality for a good two years when I started the old 5:2 thingy which seemed to cure it.

After that I couldn't eat in Wetherspoon again (whether it was actually them or not). But I would drink.

You had probably just picked up Ebola. Were there any black men in the pub?

I think their food, though done to a formula, is quite acceptable and is often better than posh restaurants.

I like wetherspoons, but that's pushing it a touch. The food is edible. Just. Though at the price I can't complain.

I had the best NYE I've ever had in a wetherspoons. We were out on Broad Street in Birmingham and decided to pop in to the Figure of Eight for a quick pint before moving on for the festivities. Ended up staying in there all night.

I like them......they provide a good consistent product that there is a demand for.....like anything, what may be good today doesn't mean it will be good tomorrow.

it's OK, as you say it's consistent.

half decent full english breakfast for an OK price.not exactly michelin star material but it tastes alright for £4.

sunday roast can be a bit ropey though.

beef is a bit stringy and got lumps of fat(plus nowhere near enough yorkies, and gravy is very badly made bisto rather than the nice thick made with meat-stock beauty).

lamb-shank was quality though.

I had the worst food poisoning I ever experienced after I ate a meal at Wetherspoon in Harrogate. I literally wished death after 3 days. BY the end there was no gut flora and fauna left as they had run away and my guts were lying everted around me on the bathroom floor. (hmm, that last bit's exaggeration, got carried away)

But seriously, my guts didn't get back to any semblance of normality for a good two years when I started the old 5:2 thingy which seemed to cure it.

After that I couldn't eat in Wetherspoon again (whether it was actually them or not). But I would drink.

A similar thing happened to me the first time I went to a pub recommended by R K. Not a 'spoons as it happens.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/113107-altrinchamhalehalebarns/?p=2411878

True

A similar thing happened to me the first time I went to a pub recommended by R K. Not a 'spoons as it happens.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/113107-altrinchamhalehalebarns/?p=2411878

True

If you're expecting me to feel even the slightest bit responsible for your bad experience, I don't, so you can f*ck off.

Was it the food or the beer do you think?