House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

"how Emotional Was That For You...."

Are sports commentators on commission or something to utter this painful phrase ?

I have noticed it for a few years now - but the Commonwealth games are pushing the boundaries. I have watched a lot - and honestly don't think they have had one interview without uttering this phrase.

I am not exaggerating - I really can't remember one where the word 'emotional' was not said.

Its all a little bit desperate. These games have been surprisingly good - there is no need for this desperation to get everyone in tears.

Slap on the shoulder and a pint of lager - that should be the British way.

No-one ever asks people what they think anymore, only how something makes them feel.

Exactly. What's wrong with "so how do you feel the race went ?"

If they want to tell the world how emotional it all was - I am sure they will of their own accord.

I like it when the BBC ask this question about situation when it's obvious what the reaction would be, i.e. death or a loved one, finding out you've got a terminal illness, etc.

Not that these things should even be on the 'news'. I wish they'd still offer straight newsreading on BBC News as an alternative to the dirge that is 'breakfast'.

No-one ever asks people what they think anymore, only how something makes them feel.

That's why in so-called "hate crime" cases, the issue is not what somebody objectively did, but how the "victim" subjectively felt about it.

Didn't it spring from a line in one of the Guy Ritchie movies?

What film was it ?

I just feel its poor to put pressure on people - what if they turned around and answered "Nah not really"

They would get lambasted totally unfairly.

Are sports commentators on commission or something to utter this painful phrase ?

I have noticed it for a few years now - but the Commonwealth games are pushing the boundaries. I have watched a lot - and honestly don't think they have had one interview without uttering this phrase.

I am not exaggerating - I really can't remember one where the word 'emotional' was not said.

Its all a little bit desperate. These games have been surprisingly good - there is no need for this desperation to get everyone in tears.

The BBC love to get people sobbing over almost anything

I have done quite a bit of genealogical work on my own family tree but I find the way the BBC construct Who Do You Think You Are to get some celeb weeping over the life of some long dead ancestor quite nauseating. People crying over someone they have never even met seems so phony to me. For all anyone knows their forebears could have been complete bastards.

Yes, it's cringe-making, but not quite as bad as asking 'Can you tell us how you're feeling?' FGS, after some ghastly disaster or tragedy.

I would like to see such journalists put in the stocks outside Tesco's and pelted with ordure, and then ask them how they're feeling.