House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Best Way To Send A Parcel - Post Office Or...?

I need to send a parcel - my accounts - to my accountants in Hertfordshire. I normally use the Post Office and their silver tracked next day delivery... but the price has been going up and up.

I have been following the Royal Mail share price and noticed that numerous people are writing on forums stating that the Post Office rips of the Public now when it comes to parcels and that most courier services are half the price.

Anyone have any views on this?

Just curious about different options. It probably won't be worth it if I have to drive half away across town to hand my parcel in at some depot as opposed to going down the road to the PO.

Interesting in hearing HPCers experiences.

The Post Office has to compete now, I just don't think it has realised yet! :blink:

The best thing about the Post Office is when they try to deliver stuff when you are out, you can collect it from the local Post Office. If they lose that, they will have no advantage! But the prices are still getting too steep!

I need to send a parcel - my accounts - to my accountants in Hertfordshire. I normally use the Post Office and their silver tracked next day delivery... but the price has been going up and up.

I have been following the Royal Mail share price and noticed that numerous people are writing on forums stating that the Post Office rips of the Public now when it comes to parcels and that most courier services are half the price.

Anyone have any views on this?

Just curious about different options. It probably won't be worth it if I have to drive half away across town to hand my parcel in at some depot as opposed to going down the road to the PO.

Interesting in hearing HPCers experiences.

Ballista.. ;)

e-mail?

Depending upon your records and business your accountants don't really need to see the original documents. I'm guessing that you use some kind of spreadsheet to keep track of things, that plus the bank statements (scanned) is 95% of the job (most of the time anyway). If they have any questions they can always ask for more.

Maybe a phone call to discuss/agree what they need.

Why Hertfordshire BTW? You'd probably get a much better rate in Swansea.

How much does it weight and how much is it worth.

Under 1kg go post office 2nd class at £2.80 and signed for +£1.10, covers you for £50.

More valuble go post office special, if less and heavy look at the couriers.

and check dimensions, whats allowable as a small parcel can be quite large, if it's the correct shape.

e-mail?

Depending upon your records and business your accountants don't really need to see the original documents. I'm guessing that you use some kind of spreadsheet to keep track of things, that plus the bank statements (scanned) is 95% of the job (most of the time anyway). If they have any questions they can always ask for more.

Maybe a phone call to discuss/agree what they need.

Why Hertfordshire BTW? You'd probably get a much better rate in Swansea.

It was a guy I started with when contracting and it works for me. To be frank, I would avoid some locally.

If you take it into a branch of Mail Boxes Etc. they have a system that will compare all the prices of all the different carriers including Parcel Force. However that still won't tell you if it will go Royal Mail small packet as indicated above. For that, size is everything.

CollectPlus for me...you can either have the item home delivered, or have it dropped of to a participating shop, where the other person can pick up the parcel whenever they want.

I rarely use the PO for larger items, possibly for small stuff, as they are fairly competitive on price..

Be warned - if your packet is slightly fat (perhaps a bubble wrap envelope) then the PO will inflate the charge quite dramatically. They're catching up fast with the modern rip-off techniques.

Another vote for myhermes. You have to print off the label but they collect it from you and its cheaper than PO. Or, if you have a drop-off point nearby, then a bit cheaper and you don't have to wait in for them.

Parcel2Go.

Some of the UPS shipments offered are pretty cheap (from one of their collection points).

Another vote for UPS. If you have something important you can't afford to go missing then UPS is the best option. I have been using them for about 5 years not and they haven't lost a single parcel (touch wood). I buy their economy service (which is still usually next day) for £9.59 via Interparcel.com

One other option is to use a local independent courier. They often use one of the courier networks, but get you a better price...A lot of them even have a wrapping service..

One other option is to use a local independent courier. They often use one of the courier networks, but get you a better price...A lot of them even have a wrapping service..

We used to use one of these at work - basically a local branch of APC.

We had 2 laptops go missing which we were never compensated for. They suggested we were in the wrong for not wrapping them and leaving the 'DELL' logo on the box. Awful customer service so we now stick to TNT or UPS via Parcel2Go (not big senders so we can't get an account anywhere...).

We did lose one package with UPS, it was incoming and actually nicked off the van on the final leg.

I used to be involved in the UK carrier (not courier: that's subtly different!) market and have seen the advent of the internet f*uck up the industry: it's at once a golden goose and shitty stick.

B2B is where the money is, but B2C is where the volume is. B2B enables high productivity, because the delivery points are predictable and plannable, whereas B2C is a nightmare sea of non-deliveries and No-One-At-Homes. This is the reason some operators subcontract the final leg - the biggest gamble profitwise - to RM. Well, that and geographical black holes.

It's the wild west in the UK, IMO. Many operators are running at a loss. My perception is that too many are chasing the bottom, so from a consumer consignor POV it's a case of buying on price only: in practice Hermes, P2G et al.

I used to be involved in the UK carrier (not courier: that's subtly different!) market and have seen the advent of the internet f*uck up the industry: it's at once a golden goose and shitty stick.

B2B is where the money is, but B2C is where the volume is. B2B enables high productivity, because the delivery points are predictable and plannable, whereas B2C is a nightmare sea of non-deliveries and No-One-At-Homes. This is the reason some operators subcontract the final leg - the biggest gamble profitwise - to RM. Well, that and geographical black holes.

It's the wild west in the UK, IMO. Many operators are running at a loss. My perception is that too many are chasing the bottom, so from a consumer consignor POV it's a case of buying on price only: in practice Hermes, P2G et al.

I know a Postie, and a lot of firms (for instance those who have a contract, with say Barclays or Lloyds) use the RM infrastructure. They just cream 1 to 2p a letter off, and the RM cannot do much about it, as these companies have a right to access the infrastructure - much like BT / Openreach.

I know a Postie, and a lot of firms (for instance those who have a contract, with say Barclays or Lloyds) use the RM infrastructure. They just cream 1 to 2p a letter off, and the RM cannot do much about it, as these companies have a right to access the infrastructure - much like BT / Openreach.

Yes, this is being re-thought apparently. Dependent upon the decision the RMG SP will either soar or crash.

indeed; it will be UK Mail or TNT IME, and they will only be giving them the mail/parcels for Penzance, Inverness, etc where conventional Midlands trunking networks are spectacularly unprofitable. The 1,000 items per day for N Power, Birmingham will, - oooh, and it's only a suspicion - be delivered by their own transport.

As I say, the RM's current statutory obligation to provide universal service is unsustainable IMO, so long as private companies are allowed to cream the subsidy.

indeed; it will be UK Mail or TNT IME, and they will only be giving them the mail/parcels for Penzance, Inverness, etc where conventional Midlands trunking networks are spectacularly unprofitable. The 1,000 items per day for N Power, Birmingham will, - oooh, and it's only a suspicion - be delivered by their own transport.

As I say, the RM's current statutory obligation to provide universal service is unsustainable IMO, so long as private companies are allowed to cream the subsidy.

I haven't used RM for larger parcels (bigger than a DVD) for well over a year now...just far too expensive. I use collectplus all the time instead. Similar delivery speed as standard parcels used to be (up to 3 - 5 days)...which is fine...