House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Autopsy: The Last Hours Of Karen Carpenter

Nice to see channel 5 bring out a couple of quality documentaries last night instead of the usual chavs with dangerous dogs (that's Mondays offering), chavs with benefits etc.

Firstly we got The Yorkshire Ripper...OK covering old ground and nothing new here, but in the light of Harold Shipman and a renewed interest in the Moors Murders the other sinister serial killer of the North has been a bit sidelined of late. And very well scripted I thought.

However, the Karen Carpenter autopsy was covering new ground.

First we learn at the time of her death that she was a reasonably healthy 108lb, BMI 18.5 for her 5' 4". If that indeed was a dangerous weight then my own partner has an almost identical BMI...at 5.5" 112lb and she looks pretty curvey on it.

So indeed it turned into a bit of a what dunnit rather than a who dunnit.

The answer was that she had gone down to 5 stone 7lb only three months early and this apparently had permanently weakened her heart. Indeed I had no idea that a heart couldn't regenerate itself. Furthermore she was taking a dieting syrup, inducing vomitting and (the killer) taking a thyroid drug ten times over the limit to lose weight even after her brush with death three months before.

It was interposed with old clips including Sue Lawley having the temerity to ask Karen if she had suffered from anorexia....post interview Richard was not pleased.

All together very informative, I thought.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/autopsy-the-last-hours-of-karen-carpenter

I had heard that about anorexics, that one of the last things the body starts to consume is the heart muscle and that when it's been consumed it never regrows.

Funny you say about the thyroid drug, an ex-neighbour always reminded me of Karen Carpenter facially and she had big thyroid problems, but wasn't at all anorexic.

Maybe it shows in the face like the squirrel jaw that heavy steroid users, esp. women bodybuilders, get.

I had heard that about anorexics, that one of the last things the body starts to consume is the heart muscle and that when it's been consumed it never regrows.

Funny you say about the thyroid drug, an ex-neighbour always reminded me of Karen Carpenter facially and she had big thyroid problems, but wasn't at all anorexic.

Maybe it shows in the face like the squirrel jaw that heavy steroid users, esp. women bodybuilders, get.

Indeed we saw many clips of a thin Karen of the late 70s...almost too painful to watch.

They also went into the reasons for her anorexia...apparently his mother (along with Karen herself) idoloized Richard and Karen always felt second best. She was also a weighty child with the nickname fatso.

However, it still seems amazing that someone with what is still considered one of the best female vocals ever felt inferior.

Nice to see channel 5 bring out a couple of quality documentaries last night instead of the usual chavs with dangerous dogs (that's Mondays offering), chavs with benefits etc.

Firstly we got The Yorkshire Ripper...OK covering old ground and nothing new here, but in the light of Harold Shipman and a renewed interest in the Moors Murders the other sinister serial killer of the North has been a bit sidelined of late. And very well scripted I thought.

However, the Karen Carpenter autopsy was covering new ground.

First we learn at the time of her death that she was a reasonably healthy 108lb, BMI 18.5 for her 5' 4". If that indeed was a dangerous weight then my own partner has an almost identical BMI...at 5.5" 112lb and she looks pretty curvey on it.

So indeed it turned into a bit of a what dunnit rather than a who dunnit.

The answer was that she had gone down to 5 stone 7lb only three months early and this apparently had permanently weakened her heart. Indeed I had no idea that a heart couldn't regenerate itself. Furthermore she was taking a dieting syrup, inducing vomitting and (the killer) taking a thyroid drug ten times over the limit to lose weight even after her brush with death three months before.

It was interposed with old clips including Sue Lawley having the temerity to ask Karen if she had suffered from anorexia....post interview Richard was not pleased.

All together very informative, I thought.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/autopsy-the-last-hours-of-karen-carpenter

BMI is BS.

I am 5'5" and have a BMI of 18.5, borderline healthy weight.

However, according to the charts I can weigh anything from about 8st to 11st and still be a "healthy weight". In other words I could weigh close to 50% more that I do now and still be considered "healthy".

Variations in bone structure, muscle mass, build type etc make BMI almost meaningless. They can only really tell you whether you are grossly over or under weight.

The thing that puzzles me most is why women want to get so thin...it's more a pressure of their peers and indeed the female led fashion indusrty than anything men contrived. Weight usually makes women very desirable......think Agnetha Faltskog, Blondie etc. etc. Karen wanted to look like what she perceived to be a desirable pop star (her icon was Twiggy) but she was already that before she started dieting.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/agnetha-faltskog-2-print-poster-11x14in-abba-singer-120347501

The thing that puzzles me most is why women want to get so thin...it's more a pressure of their peers and indeed the gay male fashion designer female led fashion industry with what, some might argue, appears to be an unhealthy fascination in making young women look like pre-pubescent boys than anything hetrosexual women fancying men contrived. Weight usually makes women very desirable......think Agnetha Faltskog, Blondie etc. etc. Karen wanted to look like what she perceived to be a desirable pop star (her icon was Twiggy) but she was already that before she started dieting.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/agnetha-faltskog-2-print-poster-11x14in-abba-singer-120347501

Corrected for you.

Absolutely.

Personally, having been out with a size-six pipecleaner (who I later discovered was vomiting after each minuscule "meal"), I can't think of anything more repulsive and always wondered why women strive for that gaunt heroin-addled look beloved of Kate Moss et al.

I'd never considered that it was engineered by homosexual fashion designers in the way TMT says, but I suppose it does make sense.

Absolutely.

Personally, having been out with a size-six pipecleaner (who I later discovered was vomiting after each minuscule "meal"), I can't think of anything more repulsive and always wondered why women strive for that gaunt heroin-addled look beloved of Kate Moss et al.

I'd never considered that it was engineered by homosexual fashion designers in the way TMT says, but I suppose it does make sense.

Microwave ready meals?

Actually I remember a mate of mine made a pizza for a very skinny lady at uni! Sort of picked at it but didn't really want to eat! I preferred her friend with the excellent massive thighs! :blink:

[Chris Spivey mode]

Karen Carpenter fookin anorexic...?

Don't make me laugh. They are mugging us off here.

The pictures from her funeral clearly show TEN burly blokes carrying the coffin - I mean are we really going to believe this shit...? Vanessa fookin Feltz would need no more than eight geezers to plant her six-foot under...!

passing25.jpg

Truth is, if she really snuffed it as a result of being on the Bobby Sands diet, they'd have buried her in a fookin' snooker-cue case...!

Just sayin'...

[/Chris Spivey mode]

X(spive)YY

Microwave ready meals?

I would be anorexic if I were to rely on those! They often have 'serves two' printed on the box ... two what? two hamsters? :wacko:

Anyway, it seems the consensus is we blerks prefer a burd who likes a pie or two ... :D

[Chris Spivey mode]

Karen Carpenter fookin anorexic...?

Don't make me laugh. They are mugging us off here.

The pictures from her funeral clearly show TEN burly blokes carrying the coffin - I mean are we really going to believe this shit...? Vanessa fookin Feltz would need no more than eight geezers to plant her six-foot under...!

passing25.jpg

Truth is, if she really snuffed it as a result of being on the Bobby Sands diet, they'd have buried her in a fookin' snooker-cue case...!

Just sayin'...

[/Chris Spivey mode]

X(spive)YY

Maybe her drumkit's in there too?

Maybe her drumkit's in there too?

I saw what you did there zuggy.

And that she actually did play the drums makes it even more subtle and clever.

Nice one.

:)

XYY