House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Exile

What Do You Feed Your Dog?

Just wondered what others feed their dogs with.

I'm as concerned about the standard of dog food as I am about the human food chain. Probably even more concerns about dog food as it seems any old crap can go in it.

I have two border terriers and feed them half commercial complete food and half home made food/appropriate leftovers.

Commercial food has to have named protein source and is usually the more expensive packs.

The homemade food is from reduced meat or purchased from farmfoods eg lamb mince. I cook it in batches in the slow cooker and add things like barley, lentils, oatmeal, potatoes, root veg, apple broccoli and kale. It's approx one third meat/grain/veg. then before serving I add things like a pinch of ground eggshell, herbs, honey or unhydrogenated oil. It works out cheaper than commercially produced dog food and it tastes so good sometimes that I have been known to eat a bowlful myself.

Just got a new Goldie pup. Hes on Pedigree Chum puppy tins at the moment.

He's now off the Weetabix and chewing everything in his path. 10 weeks.

Bet he's cute! Any pics? I've attached one of my two borders.

My youngest dog is just over one and still chewing occasionally. The latest was my duvet cover and the duvet, I woke up to stuffing everywhere! Prior to that she got in a box and removed and destroyed a good walking boot. I hope she grows out of it soon. The older dog is nearly 4 and he rarely chewed anything.

Nothing as I don't have a dog :huh:

i do have 2 cats though and do similiar to you - half 'high' grade commercial food (wet and dry) and half raw food diet (cats are a lot pickier with veg/grain etc.)

German Shepherd.

Routine dinner is some sort of expensive dog biscuits with a tin of Whiskas cat food through it to add a bit of flavour, or the juices of whatever we have eaten (gravy etc)

She gets all rabbits that are body shots. We eat the head shots. She eats the rabbits raw, fur and all. If there is verifiably fresh roadkill, she gets that too. We scoop the occasional muntjac off the roads, butcher it and give it to her.

I don't have dogs myself, as I work away a lot, and I would find it a "right gip", to put one down before every business trip and get a new one when I got back!

My friend's three dogs have a liking for Chinese style "chicken curry"! They always lick the plates, which saves on the dishwasher!

Unfortunately it upsets their guts, and they are not alone in that! :blink:

My friend's three dogs have a liking for Chinese style "chicken curry"! They always lick the plates, which saves on the dishwasher!

Cat owners should of course avoid 'chicken' curry from the Chinese as cannibalism is not healthy...

XYY

Bet he's cute! Any pics? I've attached one of my two borders.

My youngest dog is just over one and still chewing occasionally. The latest was my duvet cover and the duvet, I woke up to stuffing everywhere! Prior to that she got in a box and removed and destroyed a good walking boot. I hope she grows out of it soon. The older dog is nearly 4 and he rarely chewed anything.

When they are older, try duvet-flavour Quorn.

Mt two ex racing greyhounds are fed on Jollyes Greyhound Maintenance diet dry food and a bit of tinned Chappie to ensure proper disgusting dog breath! The do get appropriate scraps too, porridge when I make it and dog treats made in aid of the Retired Greyhound Trust kennels where we got them.

http://demontfortsdelights.com

I have a 9 month old Rough Collie pup (lassie dog).

I feed him Skinners Field and Trial and I mix it up with some mixed veg (peas, sweet corn, carrots) from Aldi.

I give him raw carrots to chew on, dentastix and other chewy stuff and the occasional bowl of Goats milk. He also loves runner beans and sugar snap peas which are great when training.

I did consider a raw diet but I'm not going to try it for now.

I luv him. He's fluffy.

Just wondered what others feed their dogs with.

I'm as concerned about the standard of dog food as I am about the human food chain. Probably even more concerns about dog food as it seems any old crap can go in it.

I have two border terriers and feed them half commercial complete food and half home made food/appropriate leftovers.

Commercial food has to have named protein source and is usually the more expensive packs.

The homemade food is from reduced meat or purchased from farmfoods eg lamb mince. I cook it in batches in the slow cooker and add things like barley, lentils, oatmeal, potatoes, root veg, apple broccoli and kale. It's approx one third meat/grain/veg. then before serving I add things like a pinch of ground eggshell, herbs, honey or unhydrogenated oil. It works out cheaper than commercially produced dog food and it tastes so good sometimes that I have been known to eat a bowlful myself.

I import dissidents from North Korea.

I have a 9 month old Rough Collie pup (lassie dog).

I feed him Skinners Field and Trial and I mix it up with some mixed veg (peas, sweet corn, carrots) from Aldi.

I give him raw carrots to chew on, dentastix and other chewy stuff and the occasional bowl of Goats milk. He also loves runner beans and sugar snap peas which are great when training.

I did consider a raw diet but I'm not going to try it for now.

I luv him. He's fluffy.

Our dog used to LOVE raw carrots. And even when she was very old her teeth were very good. Maybe also because she never liked any biscuits. I bought her some Bonios once and she just used to bury them for a rainy day.

Generally friends of the earth types, sometimes young children but only when they're on special offer.