House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

Tax Abuser Of The Week

Tax abuser of the week

Strategic Director of Children and Learning

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

c.£120k (£130k with potential performance related pay)

Serving a multi-cultural community of 290,000 people at the heart of the West Midlands, we’re a rapidly improving performance driven Council that’s investing £1.5 billion in an ambitious vision for the future.

Most pointless job of the weekDirectors - Stakeholders and Networks

National College for School Leadership

Nottinghamshire

£60k - £85k plus benefits

You will act as an ambassador for the College. You will develop relationships with key stakeholders and network with school leaders to ensure that we have a presence and influence in each region.

Other tax abusers

Director of Children's Services

Hammersmith and Fulham

West London

£124k

As our Director of Children's Services you will be an inspirational leader, who can motivate staff, partners and stakeholders and have a strategic and practical understanding of this complex agenda.

Strategic Director - Adult Social Services and Housing

London Borough of Sutton

South London

C. £105,000

Now, leading a brand new top team that has the complete support of the Chief Executive and Members, you'll focus on driving up standards in adult social care and on strategic housing responsibilities following an anticipated stock transfer.

Chief Executive

Copeland Borough Council

North West

c. £100,000

Prioritising an extensive programme of change, your strategic insight will only be matched by your ability to deliver. You will have the big picture perspective needed to extend your influence from board to operational level.

Assistant Director, Performance & Resources

Veredus

Hampshire & Isle of Wight

£100,000

You will help develop the infrastructure that will underpin the future success of the new Department. Ensuring that resources are deployed effectively and efficiently.

Yep, waste of cash, but I've never seen a private sector scheme with a retirement age higher than 65.

NDL

True but many private schemes pay out pitful amounts and the 'retirees' are forced into part time work.

Dog,

You really should compile your dosier and send it to the Government asking for an explanation :D

We live in an age where threats and blackmail dictate government policy rather than honest representations.

Irish terrorists have been pardoned without even attending a trial. Meanwhile hard up pensioners who fail to pay huge council taxes are imprisoned without hestitation.

Gordon Brown applied swinging tax changes to pensions and used the money to fund early retirement for beligerant public sector employees.

We have feebly surrendered to Brussels over the rebate despite the fact that the formula for calculating EU contributions is patently unjust and much of the money is wasted.

The economy is being ravaged by stealth taxes because Gordon Brown is afraid of putting up the headline rate of taxes.

I fear any representations I might make would count for nothing.

"True but many private schemes pay out pitful amounts and the 'retirees' are forced into part time work."

I'm interested in that. Any facts or figures?

I don't have numbers but I know many others like me who have changed jobs a few times. Each time we move, the system is allowed to pilfer our pension rights. After many years of paying into pension funds, my projected entitlement amounts to less than £20 per week.

Seems that 'stakeholder' is this week's in-word.

Wonder what it'll be next week...? Any ideas?

Another massive waste of taxpayers money has surfaced in the restructuring of Primary Care Trusts at enormous expense. Step forward the person who's going to explain why they weren't structured correctly in the first place? I think not...

Anyone need to get themselves a house , work for the public sector , decent wage , decent pension ( 90% of workers get final salary type ) and retire at 60 , all courtesy of the tax payer.

Check out what you could earn here:

( need to register )

http://www.jobsgopublic.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Job.Find

Probably got another job as well

Chief Fire Officer

Job Summary

Employer Gloucestershire County Council

Salary £107,000 per annum plus car

Reference JGP sw/cfo/gfrs

Location Quedgeley in Gloucester

Hours

Closing Date 16 December 2005

:D

Chief Executive

Job Summary

Employer Eastleigh Borough Council

Salary £93,000 - £102,000

Reference JGP MT001P

Location Civic Offices, Leigh Road, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 9YN.

Hours 37 hours a week.

There will be a need to work additional hours as necessary to meet the requirements of the post.

Closing Date 03 January 2006 - noon

No S**t

Assistant Director (Waste and Street Services)

Job Summary

Employer In Association with MJ

Salary £62,802 per annum

Reference JGP 016/6207

Location Plymouth City Council

Hours

Anyone need to get themselves a house , work for the public sector , decent wage , decent pension ( 90% of workers get final salary type ) and retire at 60 , all courtesy of the tax payer.

Check out what you could earn here:

( need to register )

http://www.jobsgopublic.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Job.Find

Probably got another job as well

Chief Fire Officer

Job Summary

Employer Gloucestershire County Council

Salary £107,000 per annum plus car

Reference JGP sw/cfo/gfrs

Location Quedgeley in Gloucester

Hours

Chief Executive

Job Summary

Employer Eastleigh Borough Council

Salary £93,000 - £102,000

Reference JGP MT001P

Location Civic Offices, Leigh Road, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 9YN.

Hours 37 hours a week.

There will be a need to work additional hours as necessary to meet the requirements of the post.

Closing Date 03 January 2006 - noon

No S**t

Assistant Director (Waste and Street Services)

Job Summary

Employer In Association with MJ

Salary £62,802 per annum

Reference JGP 016/6207

Location Plymouth City Council

Hours

A great addition to the abuse files! Thanks.

I don't have numbers but I know many others like me who have changed jobs a few times. Each time we move, the system is allowed to pilfer our pension rights. After many years of paying into pension funds, my projected entitlement amounts to less than £20 per week.

The same applies to the public sector, unless the individual moves to another public sector employer in the "public sector transfer club".

They only "pilfer" what they have paid in also. The worst they are permitted to do to your own contributions is refund them to you with interest.

Many older people have lost years of pension rights which I think is obscene as all they did was the "crime" of changing jobs. As far as I understand, come next April you can take all benefits with you so long as you have exceeded 3 months membership of your employers scheme. Common sense at last.

dog, I completely agree with your sentiments in attacking these costly non-jobs. I just think you shouldn't marry this with the whole pensions debate.

For the record I have only ever worked in the private sector and not always with the option of an employer's pension scheme.

NDL

The same applies to the public sector, unless the individual moves to another public sector employer in the "public sector transfer club".

Private sector employees have to change jobs if the company hits hard times or the employees work is deemed unsatisfactory. They also have to change employers for career progression. Public employees have jobs for life.

dog, I completely agree with your sentiments in attacking these costly non-jobs. I just think you shouldn't marry this with the whole pensions debate.

For many years the public sector have been at pains to tell us that their unusually generous retirement conditions are compensation for below average salaries. Well it would seem that this is not the case.

What would happen to private company if 40% of the employees decided to retire early for 'health reasons'

I am happy to see hard working public servants rewarded properly but I am fed up with my taxes being used to bank roll a bunch of lazy scroungers most of whom retire early.

Reject the bosses propaganda

Sir Digby Jones, the head of the CBI bosses organisation is retiring from that job this week at the grand old age of 50! During his time as the boss of this organisation he has accumulated a pension pot worth millions.

Jones and other top bosses are calling for the government to tear up its recent framework that allowed current public sector members to retire at 60. And they are spreading the most disgusting lies about pensions of low paid public sector workers in the process.

Lie no 1:

Civil servants, health workers and other public sector workers can retire at 60.

Not true. All these workers currently have the right to start drawing their occupational pensions at the age of 60 provided they have done enough service and made enough contributions. Many of them only end up with a pension of a few thousand pounds and work on till they are 63 or 64 because they cannot afford to retire on such a paltry sum. If the state pension is raised to 67 then it will be impossible for them to retire at 60 even if they are entitled to.

Lie no 2:

Funding public sector pensions will cost all tax payers 700 billion pounds.

As one economist once said, statistics will confess to anything if you torture them long enough.

The fact is, that all figures about future current public sector pension liabilities are at best educated guesses.

Moreover, the figure for future liabilities range from 500 billion pounds to 700 billion pounds and these liabilities extend over 50 years. And most of the money for these pensions actually comes from the money low paid workers have set aside over decades of work.

Lie no 3:

Private sector workers are having their pensions cut to pay for public sector pensions.

This is rubbish. Private sector pensions have been cut for years because the bosses took pension holidays

i.e. stopped contributing into the pensions pot because share values on stock markets were rising only to be followed by a crash, leaving a huge black hole in pension funds. From a 80 billion pound surplus in 2000 company pensions funds went into a 77 billion deficit by 2002!

Some bosses even took money out of their pension funds to fund investment and dividend payouts and havent replaced it yet. Now, they claim their funded pension schemes are in crises and their workers have to take a pay cut. It hasnt stopped the bosses increasing their own final salary pension schemes however.

The directors of the top 100 companies now share pensions worth 1,000,000,000 pounds.

For directors with the biggest pension at each company, the average is 288,000 pounds a year, 45 times the average for all employees.

Private sector employees have to change jobs if the company hits hard times or the employees work is deemed unsatisfactory. They also have to change employers for career progression. Public employees have jobs for life.

Jobs for life? I won't agree with you on that. I take your point on career progression, though this is a failing of many private firms.

For many years the public sector have been at pains to tell us that their unusually generous retirement conditions are compensation for below average salaries. Well it would seem that this is not the case.

Your list of tax-abusers (and I completely agree with this label) is only a fraction of the jobs in the public sector which are generally BELOW average. I will concede however, that rises in the public sector have been eroding this difference in recent years.

What would happen to private company if 40% of the employees decided to retire early for 'health reasons'

Well, that's just it you see. We've all heard of these holidays that private sector companies took from contributing to their schemes. Not only that, they used their "over funded" pension schemes to grant early retirement and in many cases flimsy ill-health retirements in order to avoid redundancy payments. This is coming back to bite them as these liabilities are still ongoing. Instead of paying it in redundancy money years ago, they are now having to up their contributions and close FS schemes to young people.

I am happy to see hard working public servants rewarded properly but I am fed up with my taxes being used to bank roll a bunch of lazy scroungers most of whom retire early.

Completely agree.

NDL

Edit: still getting the hang of those pesky quotes!

Edited by New Darker Law

Well, that's just it you see. We've all heard of these holidays that private sector companies took from contributing to their schemes. Not only that, they used their "over funded" pension schemes to grant early retirement and in many cases flimsy ill-health retirements in order to avoid redundancy payments. This is coming back to bite them as these liabilities are still ongoing. Instead of paying it in redundancy money years ago, they are now having to up their contributions and close FS schemes to young people.

I agree with this. Some appalling abuses have taken place in the private sector. Unfortunately our leaders and public servants invariably fail us where something really needs to be done.

I live in Leicestershire , I go into Coalville Library about once a week , there is a County Council leaflet produced every week that lists a load of juicy made up jobs such as Dog is on about. Library assistants are on I think about £8.50 per hour. When is this going to end ?? We cant keep all these losers on the gravy train at our expense. One thing you see covered up in the Council leaflet are Teachers salaries they always

quote some scale but never ££££. Yesterday I happened to see I think, the Times Education supplement

where loads of Teaching Jobs are advertised from all round the country I was surprised to see that many Primary school head teachers jobs are in the £45000- 50,000 range.

My local Council North West Leicestershire has had an inspection by someone and has been described as FAILING so they have set on 4 new Directors to sort it out!!!! Talk about taking the piss!!!!!! You wouldnt pay them in washers.

So my advice to anyone is get a job with the Government.

I live in Leicestershire , I go into Coalville Library about once a week , there is a County Council leaflet produced every week that lists a load of juicy made up jobs such as Dog is on about. Library assistants are on I think about £8.50 per hour. When is this going to end ?? We cant keep all these losers on the gravy train at our expense. One thing you see covered up in the Council leaflet are Teachers salaries they always

quote some scale but never ££££. Yesterday I happened to see I think, the Times Education supplement

where loads of Teaching Jobs are advertised from all round the country I was surprised to see that many Primary school head teachers jobs are in the £45000- 50,000 range.

My local Council North West Leicestershire has had an inspection by someone and has been described as FAILING so they have set on 4 new Directors to sort it out!!!! Talk about taking the piss!!!!!! You wouldnt pay them in washers.

So my advice to anyone is get a job with the Government.

Library assistants getting paid 15 grand a year? What an outrage. They should do it for nothing.

I was surprised to see that many Primary school head teachers jobs are in the £45000- 50,000 range.

I not sure why you think a salary of £45k for a Head Teacher is unreasonable? My local primary has over 30 teaching staff plus various other members of staff in a non teaching role (secretary, cleaners, etc.). It also has about 500 pupils and all the responsiblity that goes with looking after them. Remember teachers have been charged under criminal law for things happening to children in their charge. Then there is the upkeep of the building, as Head it falls to you. In an old Victorian building such as my local Primary (plus crappy modern Portakabins) will have high maintainence and heating requirements. This budget would be your responsibility as Head.

Would you do it for less than £45k?

I gave up arguing about some of the jobs Dog kindly brings to our attention as frankly even I think some of them are scandalous. However, I think the posts then blur into a general rant about public sector pensions which is an altogether thing. Thank you once again Fudge for being far more eloquent than me.

Edited by 2112

Fudge, don't know what your agenda is but why label all your comments as lies doesn't it give the game away?

1) You describe civil service pensions as a paltry sum when they are among the world's most generous. Perhaps the sums seem paltry to the overpaid layabouts because they are so used to spending vast amounts of public money?

2) Everyone knows the pension liabilities are more than 700 billion. If the civil servants can't calculate it more precisely, could it be because they are lazy overpaid incompetants?

3) Taxes bore me to death but even I know Gordo has been stealing billions from the pension funds to pay for his hordes of unnecessary civil servants and their associated pensions.

You really should try harder if your going to be in the propaganda business.

Reject the bosses propaganda

Sir Digby Jones, the head of the CBI bosses organisation is retiring from that job this week at the grand old age of 50! During his time as the boss of this organisation he has accumulated a pension pot worth millions.

Jones and other top bosses are calling for the government to tear up its recent framework that allowed current public sector members to retire at 60. And they are spreading the most disgusting lies about pensions of low paid public sector workers in the process.

Lie no 1:

Civil servants, health workers and other public sector workers can retire at 60.

Not true. All these workers currently have the right to start drawing their occupational pensions at the age of 60 provided they have done enough service and made enough contributions. Many of them only end up with a pension of a few thousand pounds and work on till they are 63 or 64 because they cannot afford to retire on such a paltry sum. If the state pension is raised to 67 then it will be impossible for them to retire at 60 even if they are entitled to.

Lie no 2:

Funding public sector pensions will cost all tax payers 700 billion pounds.

As one economist once said, statistics will confess to anything if you torture them long enough.

The fact is, that all figures about future current public sector pension liabilities are at best educated guesses.

Moreover, the figure for future liabilities range from 500 billion pounds to 700 billion pounds and these liabilities extend over 50 years. And most of the money for these pensions actually comes from the money low paid workers have set aside over decades of work.

Lie no 3:

Private sector workers are having their pensions cut to pay for public sector pensions.

This is rubbish. Private sector pensions have been cut for years because the bosses took pension holidays

i.e. stopped contributing into the pensions pot because share values on stock markets were rising only to be followed by a crash, leaving a huge black hole in pension funds. From a 80 billion pound surplus in 2000 company pensions funds went into a 77 billion deficit by 2002!

Some bosses even took money out of their pension funds to fund investment and dividend payouts and havent replaced it yet. Now, they claim their funded pension schemes are in crises and their workers have to take a pay cut. It hasnt stopped the bosses increasing their own final salary pension schemes however.

The directors of the top 100 companies now share pensions worth 1,000,000,000 pounds.

For directors with the biggest pension at each company, the average is 288,000 pounds a year, 45 times the average for all employees.

I not sure why you think a salary of £45k for a Head Teacher is unreasonable?

How about we eliminate tax-funded schools and let the free market figure out a reasonable salary for a head childcare operative (which is basically what a head teacher does these days: schools are far more about keeping kids out the way while both parents are at work than teaching them anything useful)?

Fudge, don't know what your agenda is but why label all your comments as lies doesn't it give the game away?

1) You describe civil service pensions as a paltry sum when they are among the world's most generous. Perhaps the sums seem paltry to the overpaid layabouts because they are so used to spending vast amounts of public money?

2) Everyone knows the pension liabilities are more than 700 billion. If the civil servants can't calculate it more precisely, could it be because they are lazy overpaid incompetants?

3) Taxes bore me to death but even I know Gordo has been stealing billions from the pension funds to pay for his hordes of unnecessary civil servants and their associated pensions.

You really should try harder if your going to be in the propaganda business.

Just telling it like it is!

If I need tips on propaganda, I will let you know.