House Price Crash Forum
Casual Observer

Mp Inflationary Pay Demand

Put 'em up against a wall and shoot 'em.

I'd do the job better than them and be happy to do it for what they get. W@nkers almost every last one of them.

MPs aking for 15% - Just seen this on the news, and in the face of GB asking for pay restraint.

Where did you hear this?

Please post a link to the story.

Quite frankly I wouldn't mind seeing interest rates back at 7%.

Bring a bit of sanity back to the world.

Here's the link...

http://www.itn.co.uk/news/291828.html

MPs push for a pay rise

11.50PM, Fri Dec 2 2005

Opposing sides of British politics have united in a bid to boost their salaries.

Labour's backbench committee and the Tories have held a secret and unprecedented meeting to talk about their pay.

According to reports they want a 15 per cent pay-rise.

And this comes just days after Gordon Brown said public workers should get no more than 2 per cent.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Now that's funny - the hypocrisy of our government is unbelievable!

Oh well. Another nail in the coffin for UK PLC.

Now that's funny - the hypocrisy of our government is unbelievable!

Oh well. Another nail in the coffin for UK PLC.

I don't believe the government have commented on the issue, and I expect they're furious. Don't confuse Parliament and the government.

I don't believe the government have commented on the issue, and I expect they're furious. Don't confuse Parliament and the government.

Ok, fair point.

Someone told me that since 1997 MP pay has gone up by 60% - not sure if this is true (anyone know for sure?) but I know they have put in some big rises over the years not to mention some additions to pension schemes.

They seem to think (i) they deserve it (despite working less parliamentary hours IMO) (ii) they are the equal of captains of industry or top of the tree exectives (they are nothing of the sort - the average intelligence, vision, drive, courage and leadership of those would embarrass most MPs (iii) we won't care.

Wrong. The British public has a habit of soaking up this sort of stuff until it becomes too much and then take it out their feelings about bloated/excessive public sector/pay on the Govt of the day.

Guest muttley

The government is formed by the party with the most Members of Parliament,and so they are complicit in this.Don't confuse government and the Cabinet.

Why could they possibly need 15%? Inflation's only 2.4%, especially if you strip out oil, food, gas, electricity, water, house prices and council tax.

I can just imagine the scene:

"Mr Speaker, I propose a salary increase of 15% for all members of the house".

Yeeeeaaarr!! Hear Hear!!, Bravo!!!

(Self-serving anyone?)

22% !!!

Absolutely brilliant as Brown and the BoE's biggest fear is wage inflation...

Can't see public sector workers agreeing to a measly 2%, can you? Apparently, wage inflation in the public sector has been running at around 4% in recent times, now they're gonna want a lot more as everyone knows that the official inflation figures are complete tosh!

:lol::D:lol::D:lol::P

Hi,

And another nice christmas present for Gordon's rigged CPI figures after the new year. Should present also an unwelcome new year hangover for BoE in it's quest to limit inflation growth - it's supposed prinicipal goal.

As we know, Gordon rigged the CPI along time ago to exclude anything inflationary, particularly quick to jetison the component of HPI inflation from the figures. He has become increasingly biased toward weighting the index with goods imported from low-cost countries, notably China, goods that infact have been deflating in price for a decade, offsetting the rises in other areas of the CPI. So it is interesting to now see this week that the US business media are seemingly convinced that U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow has reached agreement behind the scenes with China for a 7.5% appreciation of the Yuan after christmas and a similar agreement to be completed during next year with India. Another potential pressure valve on inflation and interest rates for BoE over the coming year as import costs increase.

Boomer

This happens every time MP's vote themselves a pay rise, although now I believe the process is 'independant' :lol:

We all get hot and bothered about it but since we're 'collectively' brainwashed drones we'll forget all about it when the next reality tv programme starts on the telly. However, I would say that if they think they're being hard done by in relation to the private sector then why don't they frack off to the private sector? Answer, they wouldn't get a job cleaning up sh1t in the private sector and they know it. They'll keep quiet until it all blows over and then they'll count all their free money. Nothing changes. Nothing new under the sun. The population is manipulated as normal to suit whatever end the 'elite' requires.

'22% pay rise for MPs' denied

"A senior Labour backbencher has angrily denied reports that MPs are demanding a 22% pay rise - 10 times the rate of inflation."

More: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1634884.html?menu=news

They'll probably get something in between, say 12%. That seems fair doesn't it!

And This:

Top public sector pay soars by five times inflation rate

"Britain's best paid public sector workers last year received average pay rises of 13 per cent - more than five times the rate of inflation and nearly three times more than their peers in FTSE100 index companies."

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...4/ixportal.html

Edited by Jason