House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Roosevelt 1933

"The US seeks the kind of dollar which a generation hence will have the same purchasing power and debt-paying power as the dollar value we hope to attain in the near future....."

Roosevelt 1933

This worked out well.... At the time the US was busy trying to devalue along with everyone else.

From Kindlebergers World in Depression.

Roosevelt.JPG

post-14908-0-22677600-1406808464_thumb.jpg

roosevelt-gold-order.jpg?w=640

If this happened today, I wonder how many people would comply? Not many goldbugs, I reckon.

You can still get it in Switzerland but it is getting increasingly harder. Used to be you could walk in off the street and buy small bullion bars OTC at most larger banks and some Bureaux de Changes but last time I checked it required advance notice of about 5 days even in a big branch in Geneva.

They won't be ceasing Gold this time around, it WILL BE property either outright confiscation [from the Chinese] or heavy taxation of owners and landlords. When gold was confiscated the various VI's of the day had plenty of it.

The money supply is now backed by property, and not gold.

If this happened today, I wonder how many people would comply? Not many goldbugs, I reckon.

Hardly any did at the time. Only the really stupid people and those foolish to have their gold in bank vaults (which were then opened by the Feds).

They won't be ceasing Gold this time around, it WILL BE property either outright confiscation [from the Chinese] or heavy taxation of owners and landlords. When gold was confiscated the various VI's of the day had plenty of it.

Property is indeed an easy target for regular taxation - it's easy to see who owns it, it can't be moved or hidden and chances are the owner has wealth or if not the property can be seized - but if the currency and economy is melting down then they'll be looking for gold as a quick fix. Of course prior to that there will be massive pension fund raids, bank bail-ins etc.

That's a good point. But how do the rich and powerful, who make the laws, sidestep property seizure when they have so much? Gold seizure, if you knew it was coming, was easy to duck 100%

which is why it is increasingly impossible to buy bullion with cash...anywhere in the known world.

Eh? Dubai gold markets, india, China etc etc.

I doubt that they will try to seize Gold or Silver again. You can never say never, but the value of the total Gold available in the West is a flea-bite compared with the debt pile, and you'll have the Revenue Men being killed if they try that sort of theft.

We would be far more likely to see the seizure of all pension funds. These are enormous and aren't "needed immediately" so they could be taken and "used" by the government - in the same way that Robert Maxwell "used" the Mirror Group pension fund assets.

Just as illegal, just as immoral, but easy to grab from people who would be very unlikely to make any form of stand against the PTB. That's not to say they wouldn't try to take the gold held by ETFs and allocated gold funds, but the effort would be unlikely to yield enough to make the effort worthwhile. Thank God.

You also have to remember that the 1% have their own gold stashes, and they would be highly unlikely to let politicians vote for anything of the sort. A baked bean can full of sovereigns is worth a small fortune (and under the circumstances we are talking about, would probably be rapidly becoming more valuable). Don't tell me you can't think of a hundred places to securely store something that size.

Too many easier targets.

Edited by Old Nis