House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Boris Announes £200Bn Railway Plan For London - More Jam For The Capital

Clearly there are no other options other than to cram more density into London.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2711686/Plans-afoot-200bn-orbital-railway-Londons-suburbs-planners-predicting-Barking-new-Piccadilly-Circus-100-years-time.html

All aboard the orbital railway! Plans afoot for £200bn metro-style train link around London's suburbs with Barking to become the new Piccadilly Circus in 100 years time
  • London Mayor Boris Johnson announced project in Infrastructure 2050 Plan
  • New railway will connect London suburbs and even put Barking on the map
  • £200bn needs to be pumped into transport to keep capital moving
  • As the population soars, demand for rail services will rise by 80 per cent

Very good news indeed, in my opinion.

About time they provided a train to the many people who have no access at all to a train station......share the resources/cash/infrastructure out a bit......more transport links only encourage more people in a place that already has more than enough. ;)

Meanwhile, a line to southwest England that'll give us a link next time the coastal stretch gets swept out to sea is deemed too expensive, after they costed it at £6-700 million. Yeah, right, anyone west of Exeter can just be dismissed.

Meanwhile, a line to southwest England that'll give us a link next time the coastal stretch gets swept out to sea is deemed too expensive, after they costed it at £6-700 million. Yeah, right, anyone west of Exeter can just be dismissed.

Not important enough.....don't earn enough, don't gamble enough, don't spend enough, don't travel enough...don't exist. ;)

Not important enough.....don't earn enough, don't gamble enough, don't spend enough, don't travel enough...don't exist. ;)

Crux of it ... we are constitutionally excluded from being represented amongst our rulers. Those MPs who notionally represent us have jobs which require them to live in London, so their interests are aligned with London, not us. And the top lawyers and civil servants who really rule ... even more so.

Being from the north I must admit I'd like to see independence from London. And I mean as in separate countries.

Edited by WageWar

The Victorians saw fit to build trains to the likes of Delabole, Camelford, Wells and other small places in the south west. You can still see people living in the old damp squalid terraces that were built near where the old train stations used to be.

I used to think Cornish independence was a joke, but can now see that they would benefit from it.

Blah blah London gets everything etc etc. Not really - it spends about as much as most world cities do. The question is why the UK spends so little on infrastructure elsewhere. It's because of Whitehall centralised control and no autonomy for regions to do what is needed. Imagine if each region could build its own housing, transport etc as it used to before centralised control took hold, or as happens in most parts of the developed world. Instead it must go begging to Westminster who do little, except if there's a threat of independence then they get funds eg Scotland and Wales.

The Brits/English have constantly voted against regional assemblies+power so maybe it's a case of getting what we deserve?

Not quite true. But regions usually vote against because the proposal on offer is pure poison: another layer of politicians and expense but no worthwhile powers. Not even like Wales, let alone like US states or German Länder.

Blair knew very well how to

I only know of one vote - that was the north east in the boom times under Labour. This may have affected the vote - aside from local considerations - particularly issues regarding rivalries between the cities of Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland.

Were there others?

That's the one that springs to mind, and it was a poison-pill offer. But we also had the question of elected mayors in some of our cities: didn't Bristol say yes to that one?

Not quite true. But regions usually vote against because the proposal on offer is pure poison: another layer of politicians and expense but no worthwhile powers. Not even like Wales, let alone like US states or German Länder.

Blair knew very well how to

Maybe I overstated it, but the lack of demand for regional powers, compared to those stating the EU has taken too many powers from Westminster, is surely noticeable? I suppose many people assume their family will benefit from economic growth in London?

Maybe I overstated it, but the lack of demand for regional powers, compared to those stating the EU has taken too many powers from Westminster, is surely noticeable? I suppose many people assume their family will benefit from economic growth in London?

Most regional politicians of any hue are highly incompetent, far safer to be governed from London

The only exception to this appears to be sporadically in the growing economically successful cities like Manchester-leeds where they seem to be getting the message that competence is a desired trait

That's the UK press leading public opinion.

The Germans don't see our problem with EU power, because they don't have a history and tradition of highly-centralised power[1]. What we see at Westminster and project onto Brussels is anathema to them.

[1] At least not since 1945.

I think you both overstate it and continue to underestimate it.

There is very much a growing demand in Yorkshire and the Greater Manchester regions. Councils themselves can see it coming and are trying to get together.

In fact a Yorkshire Devolution Party appeared on my ballot paper at the EU elections. Never heard of it until I went into the polling booth - certainly had zilch media coverage.

Typical article where there is any excuse for it to crop up:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5b400c6c-04cf-11e4-b098-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=uk

Le Tour success prompts call for Yorkshire’s Grand Départ

I grew up in Surrey and whilst I am proud of where I am from, I come from the angle that it really could have been anywhere in the Home Counties. You underestimate Yorkshire nationalism at your peril. Bits of it are still being slowly put back together after it was rent asunder under the county reorganisation decades ago, which almost seemed intent on splitting it up.

EDIT: East Yorkshire wrested free of Humberside a few years ago....and lookey here, another bit has opted to come back this year - by voting to leave Stockton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-27599780

Will there soon by a YRA?

If Yorkshire did start pushing for that type of devolution I'm sure other areas would want to follow. Lancashire naturally would want to follow. I'm sure Cornwall would be hot on the heels of Yorkshire.

Will there soon by a YRA?

If Yorkshire did start pushing for that type of devolution I'm sure other areas would want to follow. Lancashire naturally would want to follow. I'm sure Cornwall would be hot on the heels of Yorkshire.

The most straightforward solution is to kick London out of the Union, or England at least.

Save everybody else 'devolving' piecemeal.

Guest eight

In fact a Yorkshire Devolution Party appeared on my ballot paper at the EU elections. Never heard of it until I went into the polling booth - certainly had zilch media coverage.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The strange thing was that the candidate's address was listed as, IIRC, Zurich.