House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wahoo

Today Is A Dark Day.

Home Secretary Theresa May has been given new powers to deprive naturalised Brits of their citizenship, even where doing so would render them stateless, if she is satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good. The decision to deprive is taken in secret and solely by the Home Secretary, while victims of the order are not allowed a hearing.

Deprivation of citizenship has been described by the US Supreme Court as a form of punishment more primitive than torture. The UK government has often made deprivation orders when victims are abroad, making it impossible for them to appeal.

Linky here:

http://www.reprieve.org.uk/press/2014_07_28_Deprivation_of_citizenship_powers/

So in other words, you don't like someone, you render them stateless, then use illegal rendition or a drone strike.

WTF is going on? This carp has been pushed through at the last minute. Sleep walking towards a nightmare. Democracy is seriously stuffed....thank god I've only 20 odd years left.

Once you are stateless you are truly fecked.

I'm surprised this option isn't being taken with those fighters going off to Syria/Iraq.

It hopefully will be, and that will be made clear in advance.

One way to get round the shackles of the ECHR.

Home Secretary Theresa May has been given new powers to deprive naturalised Brits of their citizenship, even where doing so would render them stateless, if she is satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good. The decision to deprive is taken in secret and solely by the Home Secretary, while victims of the order are not allowed a hearing.

Deprivation of citizenship has been described by the US Supreme Court as a form of punishment more primitive than torture. The UK government has often made deprivation orders when victims are abroad, making it impossible for them to appeal.

Linky here:

So in other words, you don't like someone, you render them stateless, then use illegal rendition or a drone strike.

WTF is going on? This carp has been pushed through at the last minute. Sleep walking towards a nightmare. Democracy is seriously stuffed....thank god I've only 20 odd years left.

I'd be amazed if the EU don't have something to say about this, as it is stripping an EU citizen of their citizenship too.

Nonsense! The way we are going we will have to worry about real, hard metal shackles.

Once you are stateless you are truly fecked.

I'm surprised this option isn't being taken with those fighters going off to Syria/Iraq.

Apologies for derailing the thread somewhat, but why is it that we take such a dim view of British citizens going off to fight in Syria or Iraq? Would the same apply to people who went off to fight for Israel or Palestine, or for Russia or Ukraine? And what about the French Foreign Legion? Is joining that illegal?

i would imagine it's more aimed at us (e.g. HPI dissenters!)

i would imagine it's more aimed at us (e.g. HPI dissenters!)

Exactly - and how long before all citizens are subject to having their citizenship stripped from them? Thin end of a very nasty wedge.

Uncitizen has a very Soviet ring to it, don't you think?

...they'll be just given citizenship from some nutjob dictator - or they'll hang around in an airport, much like Tom Hanks..

Come on folks - people turn up in this country and within a few months they have a full UK passport and are 'British'.

When you look at many of these Islamic nutjobs who are doing murder in this country or around the world they often only came to the UK just a few years ago. How and why we allow them to get UK passports let alone citizenship is just stupidity IMPO.

It denigrates the idea of British citizenship and ends up with the vast majority of us being labelled risky by other countries simply because we have allowed a politically correct minority in this country - with agenda unknown - to alter the demographics of this country.

Fundamentalist Islam is the great evil in our present time - it is against everything tolerant, liberal, democratic and equal in our society. It must be fought and destroyed.

Linky here:

Moral absolutes - people worrying about the rights of people whose sole aim in life is destroying those very rights.

Deprivation of citizenship has been described by the US Supreme Court as a form of punishment more primitive than torture.

Probably because they don't do the former.

Apologies for derailing the thread somewhat, but why is it that we take such a dim view of British citizens going off to fight in Syria or Iraq? Would the same apply to people who went off to fight for Israel or Palestine, or for Russia or Ukraine? And what about the French Foreign Legion? Is joining that illegal?

Because there is not a widepsread concern that somebody who has fought for the French Foreign Legion would then come back to Britain and decide it was a good idea to blow up a tube train.

Come on folks - people turn up in this country and within a few months they have a full UK passport and are 'British'.

When you look at many of these Islamic nutjobs who are doing murder in this country or around the world they often only came to the UK just a few years ago. How and why we allow them to get UK passports let alone citizenship is just stupidity IMPO.

It denigrates the idea of British citizenship and ends up with the vast majority of us being labelled risky by other countries simply because we have allowed a politically correct minority in this country - with agenda unknown - to alter the demographics of this country.

Fundamentalist Islam is the great evil in our present time - it is against everything tolerant, liberal, democratic and equal in our society. It must be fought and destroyed.

Will there ever be peace in the Middle East? nope, probably not. Isn't the whole purpose of Islam, is to create a worldwide caliphate? I bet god, or Allah, whatever you want to call him (if she exists), would be really proud of all this killing in his name...

But can you guarantee that it won't be used unjustly? - no hearing required.

What if it were you?

What if it were you?

It probably will be me. I resigned myself long ago to one day being murdered by a mob.

What if it were you?

This. I wouldn't trust any 'secret court' to act in a just manner. It wouldn't need to be secret if it did. A better system would be to restrict how quickly and easily citizenship is handed out in the first place.

I am slightly chilled by this, no knowing where it will end.

What if it were you?

I don't think the Welsh fall under the category of naturalised British citizens.

I like that the power exists but having seen some of the mental actions of the secret family courts I do not trust judges enough to be happy with their operating in secrecy.

Because there is not a widepsread concern that somebody who has fought for the French Foreign Legion would then come back to Britain and decide it was a good idea to blow up a tube train.

So at what point did we decide to start jailing people on the basis of what they might do?

Conjecture but ISIS in Syria and Iraq are looking at declaring Islamic states as one of their fundamental aims. I for one would not like to live under such a regime and do not believe others should be forced to either less democratic elections.

Israel/Palestine is and has always been a clusterfeck. Each side bears responsibility for the atrocities but both are so bone headed they will not sit round a table and work it out. As for UKR/Russia I think anyone going to fight on the rebels side would attract as much distaste as ISIS fighters post the destruction of the Malaysian Airlines.

The French Foreign Legion is directed by the French Government, which is elected by the French people, it would be no different than a person joining a part of the British Army.

That is crap. Amonst other things, you have to have lived in the UK for at least 5 years before you can apply for British citizenship.

Anything which makes the nutjobs who would trek out to Iraq/Syria or indeed other sandy $hitholes across the world to take up arms from Bradford or Wolverhampton think again has to be good news.

I welcome the move and would think any Government would be stupid to misuse the power. In these days of social media and what press freedoms there are left widespread abuse would surface pretty quickly.

Something has to be done and this is it. Go if you want but be very aware that you won't be returning to the UK (for the wider safety of everyone) should you do so.

So at what point did we decide to start jailing people on the basis of what they might do?

I'm not aware that we do, there are supervision orders.

It's not always wise to wait for the crime, in the dying days of the Roman Republic Caesar tried to justify not prosecuting a conspiracy that was planning to slaughter the senate on the grounds that they hadn't done it yet. Cicero pointed out that when they had it would be a bit late to do anythingabout it.