House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

No Tv Licence (Legally)

I'm now the fourth of my friends and acquaintances to go licence free.

And I wish I'd done it earlier. Big screen monitor to watch all the on-demand stuff and charity shop DVDs.

As 90%+ of my viewing was stuff I'd recorded it has made very little difference to me. If anything it's better as there's far more choice on 4OD (for example) going back years.

One licence fee payer I know actually said it wasn't fair that I could do that. My response was that if the BBC on demand programmes went behind a paywall that required a licence code to watch them then it wouldn't affect my view, I won't be going back.

"Good old auntie beeb" has a big problem coming, and as I see their current affairs output as pure left-wing propaganda I am absolutely delighted to be adding to that problem.

Never had a TV licence in my life. But I enjoy the silly letters, and the thought that Crapita are wasting their time and effort.

Had a telly just once, when it was on the inventory of a furnished flat I rented. I even used it. Being in Germany, I treated it as an aid to learning the language.

We have a smart TV with all the on demand channels. I haven't watched any live TV this year at my own house. I don't miss it one bit!

My brother moans at me as well with a similar sentiment that it isn't fair. His view is that if I watch any BBC programmes I should pay for a license. If the BBC iplayer were to go behind a pay wall I wouldn't watch any more BBC programmes. The BBC would love an internet tax to replace the license fee. I wouldn't pay that either on principal. The BBC is finished in the long term.

They'll just tax internet connections or something else once everyone finally twigs their viewing habits are easily adjustable to license free behaviour.

15th year of no license, out of a possible 19. I was young and naive, which cost me about £400. I did watch a lot of snooker though.

The sooner a paywall goes up the better imo.

We in the UK all still pay for the Beeb, as it is funded out of general taxes as well as the licence.

So I do not feel any guilt when I use BBC's website or even (surprisingly rarely) watch a programme on iPlayer.

Otherwise, I stil am amazed at how little I miss TV after several years of avoiding it

Well there's nothing on my telly. Lost the power thing during a move and realised that I didn't miss it so it's been in it's box for a couple of years now. I suppose I should give it to someone.

I'd be really snookered if I lost my laptop though. Reckon Joans right, they will find a way to tax internet access.

(sshhh I do occasionally sneaky a bit of Eastenders)

Never watch anything live so no TV licence now. A Now TV box turns any TV into a smart one with the main on demand services. The missus gorged herself on 8 episodes of the Hotel Inspector the first weekend we had it. Each to their own I suppose.

Since I only watch Doctor Who, scan the News home page and listen to the Archers of the BBC's output (and two of those I could live without) - I figure I am probably contributing enough through the occasional DVD purchase.

The sad truth is that British TV is no longer the best in the world. But I'm finding my TV consumption dropping hugely anyhow. There simply isn't the time or inclination to waste time on passive stuff.

Well there's nothing on my telly. Lost the power thing during a move and realised that I didn't miss it so it's been in it's box for a couple of years now. I suppose I should give it to someone.

I'd be really snookered if I lost my laptop though. Reckon Joans right, they will find a way to tax internet access.

(sshhh I do occasionally sneaky a bit of Eastenders)

Say what!!!!!

I'm about to go the other way...

Sick of poor quality ITV player to watch the BTCC, Formula 1 in low def on iPlayer etc!

New Samsung Bluray FreeviewHD recorder box purchased and will all be set up with the new TV to record live HD broadcasts...

I don't get it - if you people don't regularly watch the soaps and talent shows, what on earth do you talk about when you next see your friends?

You must be a rubbish bluffer then buckers, I hear about these on the local radio on the way to work and am then equipped to partake in the inevitable conversation and not seem stand-offish.

Recently I happily chatted about Dolly Parton's Glasto appearance without anyone suspecting that I hadn't actually watched any of it.

I'm about to go the other way...

Sick of poor quality ITV player to watch the BTCC, Formula 1 in low def on iPlayer etc!

New Samsung Bluray FreeviewHD recorder box purchased and will all be set up with the new TV to record live HD broadcasts...

Yes, if you're a sports fan and want HD then it's licence and Sky / BT / Virgin subs.

I mostly like comedies so picture quality isn't important and I was the last person I knew, by several years, to switch from B&W to colour.

I have my first letter from TV licensing.

It's reasonably polite and gives an option to go online and record that I don't need a licence.

Is it a good idea to do this? I don't even have a telly so I'm on safe ground there.

It also notes that 95% of UK properties have a licence so 1 in 20 don't. It will be interesting to see if that figure changes in a few years.

It's reasonably polite and gives an option to go online and record that I don't need a licence.

Is it a good idea to do this? I don't even have a telly so I'm on safe ground there.

It also notes that 95% of UK properties have a licence so 1 in 20 don't. It will be interesting to see if that figure changes in a few years.

My method has been 0 contact. 2 1/2 years I've been here and had one visit where they didn't even bother to fill out the card properly (I was out at work). All letters are still addressed to 'The Legal Occupier', that's the preferred way of them addressing you. Don't let them know your name.

I wouldn't bother. You shouldn't have to even lift a finger to satisfy someone you're not breaking the law by not doing something.

Don't do anything. Simple as that. I have about 15 letters and one visit.

Apparently I have been on the verge of court about 6 times.

Either the courts were just too busy to bring me in - or its all made up vague statements using words like 'could' or 'would' and is completely made up BS based on zero evidence that has no chance of you ever going near a court.

Make your own mind up on that one :)

Say what!!!!!

keep your voice down.. they are every where :)

Last summer I recorded that I didn't have a TV. They came to my house, asked to come in to search (really). I refused. They then sent me a letter telling me that a TV had been seen, on and working and that I was to attend the magistrates court (NI) where they would get permission for the police to accompany them to search my house. They gave me 28 days to change my mind about whether I had a TV or not.

Never replied, never heard from them again. :)

Looks like I'll be ignoring them then! Cheers for the advice and the indication of what junkmail and faux threats I can look forward to.

keep your voice down.. they are every where :)

Last summer I recorded that I didn't have a TV. They came to my house, asked to come in to search (really). I refused. They then sent me a letter telling me that a TV had been seen, on and working and that I was to attend the magistrates court (NI) where they would get permission for the police to accompany them to search my house. They gave me 28 days to change my mind about whether I had a TV or not.

Never replied, never heard from them again. :)

******ing hell. If I were you I would seriously consider giving a quick call to a 'no win no fee' law firm to see if any money could come your way.

Not that I agree with that general sort of thing - but Capita deserve it for shite like this.

Its threatening and harassment.

Did a quick google and turned this story up which I think has been on here before.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343323/400-000-households-avoid-paying-TV-licence-watching-BBC-programmes-iPlayer.html

Which can basically be distilled down to "Why on earth would you pay a licence fee?" (unless you like HD sport of course ;) )

I did like one of the top-rated comments; worthy of here:

Salford72, Salford, 1 year ago

I don't have a licence. I don't intend to get a licence. Why should I pay the BBC £145 every year to watch rubbish & repeats? Perhaps if they didn't fritter all YOUR mi££ion$ on taxis, & hospitality gifts for their guests, then maybe...just maybe I might purchase one. The corporation has for many years let child abuse go on right under their noses, & indeed under their roof, & for me to give them money just goes against my beliefs. The BBC have yet to fork out MILLIONS of £££s in compensation to the victims of their staff who abused children. Jonathan King, Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall...to name but a few. I say UP YOURS BBC! Get your house in order!

******ing hell. If I were you I would seriously consider giving a quick call to a 'no win no fee' law firm to see if any money could come your way.

Not that I agree with that general sort of thing - but Capita deserve it for shite like this.

Its threatening and harassment.

We don't have 'no win no fee' in NI. Capita are just scum - this seems to be fairly normal practice for them.

I've had about a dozen standard letters since I moved into my new flat 10 months ago. Each has implied rights that Capita's staff do not have and each has used intimidating language to threaten me with court action. They've visited twice while I've been out too. I've put each letter in the recycling where it belongs and thankfully the letters land on the mat less frequently now. I don't have a TV and don't see why I should be threatened to prove that I don't by a bunch of goons. Based on Little Fish's experience I'll continue to have absolutely nothing to do with them.

I suppose the way to see this harassment is to say that not only am I (legitimately) not paying them their £145.50 but the cost of the letters and, more particularly, any visits will add up to the same again.

So of the 95% that have a licence they are spending another 5% hassling the people who don't.

And the more that don't have a licence the greater the cost. This could snowball :)

I've not had a tv licence for over eight years and not once have I contacted Capita to "inform" them that I don't watch television. There's no point as they won't believe me and will want to "check". I'm not prepared to have some random person off the street search my property to verify that I'm not breaking the law.

I receive a letter each month addressed to "The Legal Occupier" that cycles through a range of empty threats quoting "an investigation", an "enforcement officer" will visit to interview me under caution and I will need to attend court when the "evidence" of this interview will be presented.

Nothing ever happens.

There's a good selection of the letters here: http://www.bbctvlicence.com.