House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FollowTheBear

Int Rentin' Bwilliant!

Who would ever go back to owning eh? When my washing machine broke down when I owned my own flat it took me three weeks to get it sorted. I could get used to this. Especially seeing as it would cost me 40% more to own the same flat right now, whilst watching it go down in value...

(not much of a topic for discussion I admit, but I was so chuffed I just had to share it!)

Edited by FollowTheBear

Who would ever go back to owning eh? When my washing machine broke down when I owned my own flat it took me three weeks to get it sorted. I could get used to this. Especially seeing as it would cost me 40% more to own the same flat right now, whilst watching it go down in value...

(not much of a topic for discussion I admit, but I was so chuffed I just had to share it!)

Pleased to hear it, but for every good landlord there are how many bad ones?

NDL

Oh doom and gloom New Darker Law. Its the little things in life :D Follow that bear!!!!

I reckon our landlord has spent about 2 grand in the last year fixing our flat.

He had it completely redecorated before we moved in, but there was a leak, some repainting needed to be done.

He's redoing the lounge soon, lucky he has someone good to do the repairs.

When I owned property I would probably make a trip most weekends to B&Q and spend £50 to £100.

If you're thinking of buying because you think doing DIY is great fun, believe me, the novelty will wear off after a month.

I now have the weekends all to myself. Renting is the way to go.

Take advantage of the suckers who think they will get rich buying property at the top of the biggest economic bubble in history.

Don't get suckered into buying.

Edited by BandWagon

Renting? I love it.

I live in a wonderful period house, with long term security of tenure, for little more than half the opportunity cost of owning it. It's a really liberating experience, free from the hassle of maintenance and the other invisible costs of ownership. I also have total flexibility if I decide to move.

Would I buy again? Possibly - but only when it's cheaper to buy than to rent. In the current market a mortgage is dead money.

Edited by Red Baron

Renting? I love it.

I live in a wonderful house for little more than half the opportunity cost of owning it. It's a really liberating experience.

Would I buy again? Possibly - but only when it's as cheap to buy as it is to rent.

Be careful, don't make that mistake. You want to buy when it's CHEAPER than renting.

A few years from now it will be.

Edited by BandWagon

Totally agree.

A mate of mine in work was very confused when I said that I am going to rent instead of buying.

"How much is that going to cost you?" he said.

"About 7 grand a year" I said.

"Jesus, that's a lot" he said, looking at me bewildered. (He wants to move to the same area and has stated his intent on buying.

"Yes", I said, "But, the house that I wanted to buy has already dropped by 14k since last April (was 133k, now 119k, still unsold). It has not even been a year yet". :lol:

His face dropped. He had no idea.

Nuff said. ;)

Edited by BlueRhino

i'm not allowed to put pictures up on our magnolia walls.

one less job to do as far as i'm concerned :lol:;)