House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Stealth Scrappage Scheme?

I read this today! One minute the "government" has the idea that Diesel cars are good, because they are economical, now they are bad because they are dirty! Are we still at war with Eurasia?

Proposed for implementation in 2020, seems a bit silly to devote much airtime to it. I have seen articles asking whether to now get rid of your diesel or keep it, comedy.

Here in Chester the authorities are positively trying to get cars to the centre to drum up business, by offering free parking after 3pm in some car parks.

A lot of diesel drivers are still living in denial

"I drive a diesel because diesel costs less to buy and petrol cars only do 15 to the gallon"

We've had this before and the rule of thumb is that you do much more than 15k a year then a diesel is cheaper to own and run and if you do much less than 15k then a petrol car is cheaper.

Horses for courses, when I did 12k a year I had a petrol, now I do 20k+ it's a diesel.

I read this today! One minute the "government" has the idea that Diesel cars are good, because they are economical, now they are bad because they are dirty! Are we still at war with Eurasia?

We have never been at war with Eurasia!

I was listening to some bloke on radio 4 a while back and he was stating that the particles emitted by modern diesel engines are so small they actually pass through the filters in the lungs and directly into your blood stream, a phenomena never known to date

It's good to know we are moving in the right direction

"Love, Actually" was imo a dreadful film, but it was strangely adored mostly it seems for being a British-made affair, and having that bloke from The Office.

Agreed, and they used diesel vans.

It's just another tax grab.

Soon it will be 4 door cars to be taxed more as they are heavier....

It is an incentive to buy new vehicles or travel by bike or London transport.......the best way of saving would be not to travel at all if you can, cheaper aswell as safer....anyway I thought London buses, lorries and taxis emit the worst diesel fumes. ;)

is an incentive to buy new vehicles or travel by bike or London transport.......the best way of saving would be not to travel at all if you can, cheaper aswell as safer....anyway I thought London buses, lorries and taxis emit the worst diesel fumes. ;)

Ah, the old "stay at home under an old blanket" money-saving strategy strikes again!

Ah, the old "stay at home under an old blanket" money-saving strategy strikes again!

....less to do with money-saving more to do with being able to use what you have invested in in the best possible efficient way....scrapping it because it is now deemed obsolete is money and energy wastage.....cars last longer than 6 to 10 years if looked after and serviced........driving taxes are already very high, what are they trying to do price people out of their vehicles when they know there are other choices available to them?......pushing people through a funnel. ;)

I suspect that in 20 years time diesel particulates will be the new tobacco of public health. The potential harm fro m these soot particles is only just becoming understood.

Ironically, the move to fancy new petrol technologies like common rail direct injection (borrowed from diesel tech) mean that the latest petrol cars now also produce sufficient particulates that they also are of concern.

I suspect that in 20 years time diesel particulates will be the new tobacco of public health. The potential harm fro m these soot particles is only just becoming understood.

Ironically, the move to fancy new petrol technologies like common rail direct injection (borrowed from diesel tech) mean that the latest petrol cars now also produce sufficient particulates that they also are of concern.

Crikey, in that case I'll join Winkie under her old blanket in the front room.

I think you're right here.

it's difficult to even measure the quantity of particulates emitted. I'm glad i don't live in a densely populated area. Diesel emmisions can't be good for your health.

I was listening to some bloke on radio 4 a while back and he was stating that the particles emitted by modern diesel engines are so small they actually pass through the filters in the lungs and directly into your blood stream, a phenomena never known to date

Neutrinos?

Lead, lead, bring back lead.

You knew where you stood with lead.

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Lead, lead, bring back lead.

You knew where you stood with lead.

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: and mad

IIRC hpc's Kurt Barlow said Diesel was to be the asbestos like scandal of the 2000's

It's good to know we are moving in the right direction

"For nearly twenty years, the European Union has been ratcheting up controls on vehicle exhaust emissions. But with diesel vehicles, while some pollutants have been cut, others are now at troubling levels.

A File on 4 investigation has found that some of the newest diesel cars on our roads are emitting worse levels of one key pollutant than older cars.

TATE: The emissions from the tail pipe of the vehicle were performing maybe ten times as bad as they should have been.

The technology simply wasn‟t working optimally under real world conditions.

O‟HALLORAN: We‟ve also learned that the EU standards aren‟t delivering the pollution cuts they promised under everyday urban conditions.

Not long ago drivers were told diesel cars were greener, but now the top world health body says the emissions cause cancer.

And British doctors are implicating one chemical linked to diesel exhaust in potentially fatal lung infections in babies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/07_08_12_fo4_dieselpollution.pdf

I was told the other day that nearly all the taxis in Oxford are now toyota prius'

"All your Prius are belong to us"