House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Home Brew And Bake And Anything Else Food Crafty

I searched for the last thread but couldn't find it so we'll have a new one.

As mentioned elsewhere I have bought a house for various reasons with the major downside being that I still expect a big slump in prices so in my mind I have just "lost" a third of what I paid for it. Ah well, enough about house prices on Off Topic.

One big upside was that I would have the space to do home brew and my first batch is bubbling away in the sun porch :)

Okay it's a while off drinking yet so I can see the results but I was surprised having done it how easy it was.

For anybody who has the space and hasn't tried it here is what I needed in its entirety:

New (bought from Wilkos)

Wilkos homebrew kit (all malt so don't even need to add sugar, all instructions simply set out on the back)

Camden Tablets (to dissolve to sterilise kit)

Big plastic container with lid

Big plastic spoon to stir initial mix and take yeast froth off the brewing beer

Siphon for bottling

Crown tops

Crown top applying gadget

Existing

Can opener

Kettle to boil water

Metal casserole pan to put the can in boiling water and soften it

Empty beer bottles (well, not strictly existing but I have enjoyed assembling them ;) )

2 pint measuring jug

And that's it. You can become more sophisticated with thermometers, hydrometers, finings (I might be tempted) but you don't need them.

I'd read enough on here to realise that it was that simple but I didn't have the spare space to do it, well I do now :)

I will also add that my two loaves baked so far have been heavy, soggy and slow to rise. This has tempted me to buy one of the many bread-making machines offered in the small ads. Has anybody found these worthwhile?

Bread makers are fine, but remember the humidity in the atmosphere will vary results. I can recommend the LG one as most consistent. Be careful with wholemeal bread. It can turn out like firebrick!

As a complete waster I'm surprised I've never attempted HB.

Bread machine wise I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0055HSEOC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can vouch for it as being excellent bar one thing (which is my fault really) - there is no warning if you forget to put the paddle in!!! I've done this twice now (just yesterday in fact) which is a bit annoying after you've waited 5 hours only to find a half burned mess in the tin. In fact I was pretty fkin fuming :angry: :lol: I've now stuck a big label on the front with the word PADDLE scribbled on it :lol:

Also, if you don't go for the machine route may I also suggest this for handmade:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CD0IUA2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A real good depth so you can up the ingredients drastically for a great farmhouse loaf.

One last tip if wanting bread to rise, pop it on an oven shelf covered in oiled cling film and place a half filled bowl of boiling water below. Possibly not needed in the summer but always comes in handy during the winter (also for pizza dough/naan bread etc.)

Wilkinson had their 25% off on HB on when I went in on Sunday, online as well.

Wherry at £14.25, their double cans at £12.75 (the Golden isn’t bad for that price)

I will also add that my two loaves baked so far have been heavy, soggy and slow to rise. This has tempted me to buy one of the many bread-making machines offered in the small ads. Has anybody found these worthwhile?

what yeast are you using in the loaf?

The breadmakers work best with the breadmaker yeast (Can't think which colour tin that is.) Best results with sachets all used fairly soon after buying, but tin pretty good.

I'd read enough on here to realise that it was that simple but I didn't have the spare space to do it, well I do now :)

Well done!

I have 45 odd kilos of malt hitting my doorstep this afternoon, should keep me out of trouble till autumn.

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go all-grain and brew proper beer!

Wilkinson had their 25% off on HB on when I went in on Sunday, online as well.

Wherry at £14.25, their double cans at £12.75 (the Golden isnt bad for that price)

The last Wilkinsons 25% promotion only ended a couple of months ago and that went on for 2-3 months. They're really pushing homebrew. The Wherry at £14.25 is a stonking deal. The 'one can' Coopers Australian is a very decent lager facsimile, particularly made with 1/2kg dextrose, 1/2kg spraymalt. It tastes more like a premium European lager than, say, Fosters.

The biggest faff with home brewing is having to sterilise everything, combined with my preference for using glass bottles (with crown caps). That can swallow at least a couple of hours per batch, easy.

edit: one genius gizmo for use when bottling is a 'filling wand'. It fits on the end of the syphon tube and only lets beer through when you press it into the bottle. It makes filling bottles to a consistent level a lot easier than without.

I've been brewing fermenting my own brew for the last few years. I use kits, bu am interesting on making my own from LME and hops pellets.

I just made a nice american IPA http://www.4u2brew.co.uk/product_details_677.htm It's dry hopped and tastes great. Went down well at my BBQ.

I have also made berew god, evil dog IPA a few times http://www.homebrewwest.ie/evil-dog-american-double-ipa-47-kg-beer-kit-3358-p.asp

Btw, you may find it cheaper buying from my old Irish supplier http://www.homebrewwest.ie as they negotiate different prices form the UK and are often cheaper even when taking postage into account.

They also sell 9kg of LME for 30 euros http://www.homebrewwest.ie/bh-light-lme-liquid-malt-extract-90-kg-x286-by-15-kg-cansx29-2975-p.asp but i'm not really sure how I can turn this into a nice IPA?

I don't have the time or space to start brewing up malt, so LME seems like a good alternative to me.

I would love to brew a copy of Sixpoint Bengali Tiger, I think it's just a case of dry hopping with the right varieties?

As you've got the Camden Tablets now, might as well use them but once they're gone, get Sodium Metabisulphate. Can be got from the bay in quantities larger than the 100g the home brew shops tend to stock. For sterilising prior to bottling, put a teaspoon of Sodium Metabisulphate in the first bottle, then fill with warm water and shake to dissolve. Works out cheaper than Camden tablets.

For manky equipment you find cheap/free, use VWE cleaner/steriliser.

If short on glass bottles, PEP bottles are ok for 3 or 4 brews. Can't remember why they shouldn't be used for more. Sterilised milk bottles work well. Most of mine are over 30 years old.

Best of luck staying married if you get into making 'real' beer. An hour of boiling hops will stink the house out for days.

Best of luck staying married if you get into making 'real' beer. An hour of boiling hops will stink the house out for days.

Certainly not true in my experience. And its a lovely smell while it lasts!

They also sell 9kg of LME for 30 euros http://www.homebrewwest.ie/bh-light-lme-liquid-malt-extract-90-kg-x286-by-15-kg-cansx29-2975-p.asp but i'm not really sure how I can turn this into a nice IPA?

I don't have the time or space to start brewing up malt, so LME seems like a good alternative to me.

You need to rig up a boiler - either stainless steel or suitably think food grade plastic. Fit a a tap and two kettle elements. Hop strainer fitted to the inside of the tap.

You can buy these from various place at a substantial markup or check out jimsbeerkit or forum.craftbrewing.org.uk for help and advice on building one yourself.

To make a simple IPA, you'd just use about 3kg of LME and hop accordingly.

Simples. And you're just a step away from real beer B)

The last Wilkinsons 25% promotion only ended a couple of months ago and that went on for 2-3 months. They're really pushing homebrew. The Wherry at £14.25 is a stonking deal. The 'one can' Coopers Australian is a very decent lager facsimile, particularly made with 1/2kg dextrose, 1/2kg spraymalt. It tastes more like a premium European lager than, say, Fosters.

The biggest faff with home brewing is having to sterilise everything, combined with my preference for using glass bottles (with crown caps). That can swallow at least a couple of hours per batch, easy.

edit: one genius gizmo for use when bottling is a 'filling wand'. It fits on the end of the syphon tube and only lets beer through when you press it into the bottle. It makes filling bottles to a consistent level a lot easier than without.

My local Tesco had a 75% off all cans around September last year. I got carried away and bought everything. I need to make a double can, every month, until Nov 2015. So couldn’t take advantage, but like you say, the offers come up often enough.

My local Tesco had a 75% off all cans around September last year. I got carried away and bought everything. I need to make a double can, every month, until Nov 2015. So couldn’t take advantage, but like you say, the offers come up often enough.

At 75% I would've too.

I did something similar during the last couple of Wilkos promos. It's a race against 'use by' dates now.

You need to rig up a boiler - either stainless steel or suitably think food grade plastic. Fit a a tap and two kettle elements. Hop strainer fitted to the inside of the tap.

Nah, not happening it's too much effort. What would I gain over using LME? (bearing in mind I like to make IPA and lager). To me it's like asking why don't you grow your own hops and barley?

I know a boiler etc would be good for making Guinness and dark ales. I tend to drink dark ales out down spoons, but not at home. I haven't seen any good dark ales since moving form kent, I didn't realise how good the ale was in that area of the country.

I now make all my own bread......have had a go at making cheese, not at all difficult even better if you can source raw milk, making yogurt is very straight forward........my sourdough is now nearly three years old always add some to yeast,sugar,oil and water before adding to flour and salt.........nobody would want to go back to mass produced bread after making and hand kneading your own...

I

Forget the bread machine.....practice makes perfect, you get to a stage where you know the exact consistency the dough should be before proving....prove 1 1/2 to 2 hours in bowl (double in size) with greased plastic bag over to stop drying out, knock and shape and prove again (same) 30 to 45 mins max if you leave too long bread will not rise in oven....put in a hot oven 220c 15 mins lower to 180c for 15 mins (average sized loaf)....better slightly over baked than under baked. :)

One of my ex university chums likes making beer so much, he runs a brewery!

I haven't made a loaf of bread this century, but it does come out very well!

Nah, not happening it's too much effort. What would I gain over using LME? (bearing in mind I like to make IPA and lager). To me it's like asking why don't you grow your own hops and barley?

I know a boiler etc would be good for making Guinness and dark ales. I tend to drink dark ales out down spoons, but not at home. I haven't seen any good dark ales since moving form kent, I didn't realise how good the ale was in that area of the country.

I do grow my own hops! Well, some of them anyway.

You need a boiler to do extract recipes. Even for an IPA....

Forget the bread machine.....practice makes perfect, you get to a stage where you know the exact consistency the dough should be before proving....prove 1 1/2 to 2 hours in bowl (double in size) with greased plastic bag over to stop drying out, knock and shape and prove again (same) 30 to 45 mins max if you leave too long bread will not rise in oven....put in a hot oven 220c 15 mins lower to 180c for 15 mins (average sized loaf)....better slightly over baked than under baked. :)

I sort of agree with winkie here - it's always wise to know how to do things the 'natural' way. However, knowing a few people who do homebrewing one thing I do know is that the initial process takes a fair bit of time (esp the sterilizing!) If you're watning a loaf or three while you sort out the sauce then a bread machine is your friend. I'd like to always make by hand but I'm afraid time (work) just doesn't permit :(

I sort of agree with winkie here - it's always wise to know how to do things the 'natural' way. However, knowing a few people who do homebrewing one thing I do know is that the initial process takes a fair bit of time (esp the sterilizing!) If you're watning a loaf or three while you sort out the sauce then a bread machine is your friend. I'd like to always make by hand but I'm afraid time (work) just doesn't permit :(

Come on kneading takes 10 mins....shaping takes 5 mins........you can do a thousand and one things whilst your loaves are rising.

How long does it take to make one odd square shaped loaf with a hole of a paddle up its middle in a machine?....when you can make four natural authentic loaves all at once slashed and topped with seeds. ;)

nb, that does not factor in the cost of purchasing the machine and the cost of running it....