House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Nhs Chief Spends £50,000 On Luxury Hotels And Dining + Greggs....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10995416/NHS-chief-spends-50000-on-luxury-hotels-and-dining.html

An NHS hospital boss used an NHS credit card to spend more than £50,000 on fine dining, luxury hotels, Waitrose shopping and a trip to Greggs bakeries, an investigation has found.

The former chief executive of Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals trust spent the funds as the organisation drew up plans to make swingeing cuts, including closing 60 beds.

Phil Morley spent £4,454.31 on hotels and car hire during a 2012 trip to Florida with two fellow NHS managers, which included a sunset cruise on a luxury yacht, the records show.

Hotel bills of more than £6,800 last year included a £817.50 stay at the five-star Royal Horseguards Hotel in London and a £1,284.05 stay at the four-star Montague in London.

In the same year he claimed £17.88 from Greggs bakeries, while the records show £281.43 spent in Waitrose in 2011.

At least 15 other members of staff at the trust have also racked up credit card bills totalling almost £1m since the beginning of last year, the records show.

While £865k was spent on IT equipment, staff were also using their credit cards to pay for expensive meals, chocolates, flowers, soft furnishings, downloads from iTunes and hotels.

Interim chief executive John Saxby, who took over when Mr Morley resigned, has ordered staff to hand back their credit cards.

At least 15 other members of staff at the trust have also racked up credit card bills totalling almost £1m since the beginning of last year, the records show.

While £865k was spent on IT equipment, staff were also using their credit cards to pay for expensive meals, chocolates, flowers, soft furnishings, downloads from iTunes and hotels.

Interim chief executive John Saxby, who took over when Mr Morley resigned, has ordered staff to hand back their credit cards.

A spokesman for Humberside Police said: "As things stand this is not something we are looking at, it would depend on the trust referring the matter to us, and in the first instance the trust is carrying its own investigation."

I'm stunned this hasn't been referred to the police for fraud/embezzlement. Still it's only taxpayer cash and I mean the MP's got away with it so why not everyone else.

Considering what was going on I wonder how much of IT equipment is still on the premises?

This really isn't a big deal. I do about £1k a month on expenses. 4.5k on a trip to Florida including hire car doesn't sound outrageous, I expect he would have flown business class, so you've got £2k right there.

If you travel for your job it's expensive, I've got a one day trip to London this week. Going to cost me £200 train (standard class), £130 hotel, £50 food. That's £400 for a day working in London.

I agree with your general point but there's no reason for anyone in the public sector to fly business class anywhere.

I'm not sure, I can see both sides. The usual justification for business class is that if you're on a tight schedule you can arrive fresh. In my experience most people just use it to arrive pissed. On balance I guess I'm on your side.

This really isn't a big deal. I do about £1k a month on expenses. 4.5k on a trip to Florida including hire car doesn't sound outrageous, I expect he would have flown business class, so you've got £2k right there.

If you travel for your job it's expensive, I've got a one day trip to London this week. Going to cost me £200 train (standard class), £130 hotel, £50 food. That's £400 for a day working in London.

I'm in agreement with you here. My wife travelled a lot in her old job and easily racked up £4-6k a month on expenses just by using economy flights and bog standard hotels. Only time she'd get to go business class was if the flight was more than 8 hours (I.e. America).

A guy I knew on a different forum told me he was going to an NHS managerial 'junket' to Vegas in 2009. I didn't ask but perhaps it was for some medical/health conference.

Story at the end of that Telegraph story...

Former NHS finance chief jailed for stealing £2.2m from the health service
Trevor Cosson, former head of finance at a primary care trust, was jailed after pleading guilty to defrauding the NHS out of £2.2 million

By Miranda Prynne, News Reporter

4:46PM BST 28 Jul 2014

... A former NHS finance chief who stole £2.2 million from the health service to fund a fledgling property empire has been jailed.

Trevor Cosson, 38, authorised £1.4million-worth of payments to be made to his bank account between July 2008 and August 2012 which he used to buy 11 residential properties in London and East Sussex.

He also transferred a further £800,000 into his bank account via email after claiming the money would be paid to St Michael’s Hospice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10996090/Former-NHS-finance-chief-jailed-for-stealing-2.2m-from-the-health-service.html

What on earth is an NHS chief executive going to Florida for?

Fanny!

Public sector employees should be banned from travelling abroad. In general.

They should invent some way of conferencing and chatting over some sort of wire or satellite system.

Was just looking for the Oldham school teachers training day in spain and found:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/outcry-as-teachers-at-oldham-school-use-staff-training-day-to-attend-a-wedding-8293765.html

Outcry as teachers at Oldham school use staff training day to attend a wedding

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/oct/08/teaching.schools

Head under fire for teachers' trip to Barcelona
20 primary school teachers flew to Spain for 'cultural awareness' training

Adrian Guy and 20 teachers from Whitegate End primary school in Oldham, visited the Spanish city last weekend.

The £5,691 cost of the trip was paid out of the school's training budget and staff contributions.

less than £300 a teacher isn't too bad, some charge that for sitting in a dingy room in oldham, and it sounds like the staff topped up the cost.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/oct/08/teaching.schools

Head under fire for teachers' trip to Barcelona
20 primary school teachers flew to Spain for 'cultural awareness' training

Adrian Guy and 20 teachers from Whitegate End primary school in Oldham, visited the Spanish city last weekend.

The £5,691 cost of the trip was paid out of the school's training budget and staff contributions.

There are a lot of long exchange visits within this country. It's an excuse for playing the executive and having a nice all expenses paid trip. Edinburgh-London etc. I have heard of one thousand pound plus trips for staff just to erect a poster at a conference.

I'm in agreement with you here. My wife travelled a lot in her old job and easily racked up £4-6k a month on expenses just by using economy flights and bog standard hotels. Only time she'd get to go business class was if the flight was more than 8 hours (I.e. America).

So no 5star hotels then?

So no 5star hotels then?

Absolutely not. I guess that's what set's an NHS trust CEO apart from my wife who works in the private 'productive' sector where the bottom line matters. Incidentally she is now the second in command of a £70million turnover company and still travels cattle class on trains or planes. Nicer hotels certainly never 5* (and neither does the MD).

Absolutely not. I guess that's what set's an NHS trust CEO apart from my wife who works in the private 'productive' sector where the bottom line matters. Incidentally she is now the second in command of a £70million turnover company and still travels cattle class on trains or planes. Nicer hotels certainly never 5* (and neither does the MD).

The private sector's not all great at this stuff. I see plenty of profligacy myself by people travelling (I know of one person who claims for a new suitcase every time he travels. No idea what he does with them all) and on one occasion I was working on a project where 4 of us staying in the same hotel had a hire car each for 4 weeks. That's 3 hire cars sat in a hotel car park at £100/day each for 4 weeks. No excuse for that.

I've also been known to spend a few quid on beer, but that's generally accepted when you're working away from home for extended periods in stupid places. However, one thing I've never done and would never be permitted to do is travel at anything beyond economy class for any journey.

I am impressed by a person that can eat £50 of Gregg's pasties/pies/ sausage rolls! In a day! I stand in awe! :blink:

The private sector's not all great at this stuff. I see plenty of profligacy myself by people travelling (I know of one person who claims for a new suitcase every time he travels. No idea what he does with them all) and on one occasion I was working on a project where 4 of us staying in the same hotel had a hire car each for 4 weeks. That's 3 hire cars sat in a hotel car park at £100/day each for 4 weeks. No excuse for that.

I've also been known to spend a few quid on beer, but that's generally accepted when you're working away from home for extended periods in stupid places. However, one thing I've never done and would never be permitted to do is travel at anything beyond economy class for any journey.

I am always amazed by this, since there were four of you, you could have hired a single car with four seats. That is the HPC way!

Doing his bit to create work for the NHS.

I can do a gallon of pickled eggs! I think I will leave the three gallon fight to the younger blokes!

Also, it doesn't help finding "lady company", but the blokes think you are a hero! :blink: