House Price Crash Forum
Bear Goggles

Nimbys Have Had Their Day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10991867/New-planning-minister-suggests-Nimbys-have-had-their-day.html

The inflection point is being reached. The nimbys are dying off and the renting young have no interest in the green belt being left as scrubland. Maybe my children will have somewhere to live after all.

CPRE have a hissy fit, which is always encouraging.

Hope it pans out like that but i wouldnt hold my breath as the rich have too much to lose if more land becomes available for building.

And I can't bring myself look at the Telegraph as the comments section is worse than here. bla bla building houses not the answer, bla bla immigrants, bla bla Romanians living 10 to a room, bla bla UKIP would sort this out...

Unfortunately where I live the oldies have just voted in stricter local planning policy (I was the only person at the polling station under 60). 15% of voters participated and 92% voted yes. This will be rolled out nationwide - currently it's a selective pilot scheme.

Unfortunately where I live the oldies have just voted in stricter local planning policy (I was the only person at the polling station under 60). 15% of voters participated and 92% voted yes. This will be rolled out nationwide - currently it's a selective pilot scheme

How hard would it be to have this inquorate minority decision turned over? If there is a political will, I can see such poorly subscribed votes being brushed aside in favor of the 'Silent majority of hard working familiesTM '

I haven't given up hope.

Where I live (on the south coast on the edge of the New Forest) is NIMBY central. But recently the council overruled the objections of local protesters and the local paper to grant planning permission for a small housing estate. It was comical listening to the protesters desperately trying to justify their objections on spurious environmental grounds when what they really wanted was a housing free view.

I haven't given up hope.

Where I live (on the south coast on the edge of the New Forest) is NIMBY central. But recently the council overruled the objections of local protesters and the local paper to grant planning permission for a small housing estate. It was comical listening to the protesters desperately trying to justify their objections on spurious environmental grounds when what they really wanted was a housing free view.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertypicturegalleries/9214624/Top-10-waterside-hideaways.html?image=6

Hardly affordable housing either. I dont think you can even really see a lot of the development from the town side of the river anyway.

Dying off. HA! Even the few 30 somethings I know who have bought are full on NIMBYs suddenly, after years of wanting more houses.

Thats what gets me. People say the tory party is dying. Unfortunately not. An ageing population means more tories. Just because most are lefties in their 20s, it doesnt mean (and in fact rarely does) mean they will still be in their 60s.

Dying off. HA! Even the few 30 somethings I know who have bought are full on NIMBYs suddenly, after years of wanting more houses.

Thats what gets me. People say the tory party is dying. Unfortunately not. An ageing population means more tories. Just because most are lefties in their 20s, it doesnt mean (and in fact rarely does) mean they will still be in their 60s.

Well, either metaphorically or literally they are dying off, that's what the article and the stats it cites says.

Public opinion is changing. It turns out that providing adequate housing for the population of the country to live in is actually more important than preserving that bit of scrubland or bio-desert that has been held as sacrosanct for the last 70 years.

Whether this is due to demographic changes or the fact that so many people in this country now live in substandard overpriced housing, or some other reason, is up for debate.

Funny, I think I have moved more to the left as I have gotten older! But maybe that is just because I don't own a house!

Unfortunately where I live the oldies have just voted in stricter local planning policy (I was the only person at the polling station under 60). 15% of voters participated and 92% voted yes. This will be rolled out nationwide - currently it's a selective pilot scheme.

The young really need to get their act together

They should simply build NEW villages, rather than ruining old villages.

Avoids the nimby problem, and easier to plan.

Good point. But it might spoil the views of the farmland that was once natural forest. :)

Edited by Eddie_George

http://

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10993070/Danny-Alexander-we-need-300000-new-homes-each-year.html

So the LibDem wing of the LibLabCon has trumped the Lab wing's 200,000 new homes per year with (possibly) 300,000 new homes per year although so far it only seems to be an expression of Mr Alexander's opinion rather than party policy.

Can the Con wing better that.

Of course they can all promise what they like but they are all very well renowned for being endemic renegers when it comes to promises and especially those promises touted early in a general election campaign.

Edited by billybong

Funny, I think I have moved more to the left as I have gotten older! But maybe that is just because I don't own a house!

Same here. I'm moving back over to the Left again now.

I'm torn over this. I hate people who block housing developments with a kind of "I'm alright Jack" attitude. They can rot in Hell. On the other hand I've seen what it has been like in the Netherlands with the enormous growth in population. What was green agricultural land in the 1990s is now row after row after row after row of endless apartment blocks. I think that is inevitable in the UK. The UK now is just the result of one or another ****'s political agenda. All of you patriots who think that the British are ******ing great and what a ******ing great country this is - you can stick shit that right up your ******ing ass. ****** you and what you've done.

Metoo, up to a point. But how much of that is because the left is no longer so ruinously loony as it was a generation ago.

I think there's a strong generational element to this. The idea that young people had to be lefties smells of hippie-era orthodoxy. So if you're not from the hippie generation you're excused. ;)

They should simply build NEW villages, rather than ruining old villages.

Avoids the nimby problem, and easier to plan.

That doesn't help the new family members of people in old villages who want to stay local to their clans...

There are fewer young people than old people, how are they supposed out outnumber them?

True

But the gap is reducing with time.

Metoo, up to a point. But how much of that is because the left is no longer so ruinously loony as it was a generation ago.

I think there's a strong generational element to this. The idea that young people had to be lefties smells of hippie-era orthodoxy. So if you're not from the hippie generation you're excused. ;)

Although this has now drifted OT, I think the question of people not moving right as they get older is an interesting one. There is a paradox at play and I think the ageing population has a strong influence on it. People tend to become more conservative as they get older, but they also rely on the other people more, so have to become more "social". They don’t like the country changing, but they need someone to help them with their shopping.
That’s the paradox within political parties like UKIP too, rightwing because it is nostalgic and dislikes change, yet leftwing because it despises the elite. Its voters also favour - more than any other party's - the re-nationalisation of the railways and the energy companies.
Personally, I’m becoming more radical as I get older, I like the idea of shaking up the status quo. I hate the Tories more than any other political party not because they are rightwing, but because of the privilege and patronage that they promote. All mainstream political parties are guilty of promoting cronyism, but the Tories lead the charge with the likes of Cameron, Boris, and Osborne behaving like they are born to rule. They symbolise the very worst aspects of this country's culture.
I'd be happy for a shake-up to come from the left or the right, or somewhere else, but we need something political, economics has failed to deliver a "correction".

Personally, I’m becoming more radical as I get older, I like the idea of shaking up the status quo. I hate the Tories more than any other political party not because they are rightwing, but because of the privilege and patronage that they promote. All mainstream political parties are guilty of promoting cronyism, but the Tories lead the charge with the likes of Cameron, Boris, and Osborne behaving like they are born to rule. They symbolise the very worst aspects of this country's culture.

Now that very much is a phenomenon of our times. Thatcher's tories represented ideals of meritocracy and had no truck with unearned privilege[1]. That's why she made enemies amongst the powerful.

As for the three you name ... I've tried to give Cameron and Osborne the benefit of the doubt, but I'm really struggling. Boris, on the other hand, still seems genuinely interesting. If he presents himself on a national platform I shall look harder!

[1] No, she didn't attack privilege, like some class warrior; rather she was happy to live and let live. But try and abuse your privilege and she'd take a very dim view.

Lots of people have been buying up green belt, woodland and farmland at very low prices.....they can't wait to sell it on with planning permission, can make more money on that than any central London property........tesco et al can make more selling their hoarded mega store sites for housing than on selling tins and packets........green land does not mean cheap land, does not mean cheap housing that working people would like to buy or could afford to buy. ;)

Although this has now drifted OT, I think the question of people not moving right as they get older is an interesting one. There is a paradox at play and I think the ageing population has a strong influence on it. People tend to become more conservative as they get older, but they also rely on the other people more, so have to become more "social". They don’t like the country changing, but they need someone to help them with their shopping.
That’s the paradox within political parties like UKIP too, rightwing because it is nostalgic and dislikes change, yet leftwing because it despises the elite. Its voters also favour - more than any other party's - the re-nationalisation of the railways and the energy companies.
I'd be happy for a shake-up to come from the left or the right, or somewhere else, but we need something political, economics has failed to deliver a "correction".

Nice post. I can't agree with UKIP despising the elite though - it's more nuanced than that. Yes, they despise the political elite as represented by Westminster and the EU, but they don't appear to have anything against the aristocratic land-owning elite, and they are certainly not anti-monarchy.